No announcement yet.

What's in your garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to spray paint today. Epoxy primer actually. I was going to but I didn't. With a pile of small parts from project cars in bare metal repaired, glass beaded, wrapped in plastic wrap needing a squirt it seems I got lazy to that idea of fun. Instead... I'm putting off today for something to do maybe the middle of next week if the mood strikes me better. Hard to say for sure, but with showers forecasting for Monday and Tuesday, I sure hope on Wednesday I feel like showing up for work?

"Our top guy makes $14.00".

That's why I quit today, this job was paying me even less. Happy Canada Day!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5840.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	598655Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5839.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	598656Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5838.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	598657Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5841.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	598658

Comment

Not much in my garage anymore since i moved. I literally sold 3 semi trailers of man stuff to move. I kept a small lathe, metal shaper, 1 drill press, hydraulic press, 2 tig welders i can't get working and my dads 1967 Westinghouse welder and spool gun. It hasn't been used since about '79. I knew it prob had critters living in it since this is farm country. So tonight i popped the lid and sure enough, nests. I am going to clean her all out before i plug it in. Well i do need a welder plug wired in my shop/garage at the farm. So in the next few weeks i will clean her up. Click image for larger version

Name:	3195766ab07ed2301466346247.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	598906Click image for larger version

Name:	8295766ad2aa6b9d1466346794.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	598907Click image for larger version

Name:	west1.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	598908Click image for larger version

Name:	west2.jpg
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	598909Click image for larger version

Name:	west3.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	598910
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

If she still works i might get an old S-22 Miller feeder and a mig gun for her.
        Bob Wright

Comment

I love that old gear.

Comment

That Westinghouse bears striking resemblance to P&H second generation machines.

Comment

What's a pity is all those power sources still work. Most if you put some juice in you get juice out and yet...Blow it out fire it up! Do a video so we can hear it hum if you stick one to the plate, lol. I think it's great you kept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                What's a pity is all those power sources still work. Most if you put some juice in you get juice out and yet...Blow it out fire it up! Do a video so we can hear it hum if you stick one to the plate, lol. I think it's great you kept it.
                If that ol girl is humming he best get the lid off fast and get the fan spinning proper. That girl and my P&H machines have around 20" cooling fans and they make a bit of noise. Of course if they're singing stick tunes they also make decent weldor coolers.

Comment

I got her all cleaned out. Everything looks good from a non electrical worker as myself. Click image for larger version

Name:	west12.JPG
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	598980Click image for larger version

Name:	west11.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	598981Click image for larger version

Name:	west10.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	598982 Now to find a Miller S-22 feeder
                  Bob Wright

Comment

Hey Noel i have a few of these also. Just got this one going and she will sew 3/8" leather just fine. Now to find someone who wants a truck seat redone. Been wanting to do them for 40 years. Click image for larger version

Name:	111wleather375.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	598985Click image for larger version

Name:	111wstrap.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	598986Click image for larger version

Name:	111w.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	598984
                    Bob Wright

Comment

They dang sure done make em like that anymore. Well, maybe they do, I have no idea....but I prefer the old stuff in pretty much anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        They dang sure done make em like that anymore. Well, maybe they do, I have no idea....but I prefer the old stuff in pretty much anything.
                        Just Japan and China made now. My 3 are good ole USA
                        Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          Hey Noel i have a few of these also. Just got this one going and she will sew 3/8" leather just fine. Now to find someone who wants a truck seat redone. Been wanting to do them for 40 years.

I'm your guy Bob if you think
                          about doing a car seat? I need the interior of my 38 Ford done eventually. Want to tackle the seat in it? Maybe the interior? I'm not sure many would keep that mess of old around for this many years but I did with the expectations of rebuilding the comfort back into it. I would think you could make some magic happen putting your mind to it and I can picture my butt on the leather driving. It's a fold up seat. I'm sure it fold up but honestly, it's been a while.

I actually had thought, sharing the plan, a welding shop/training facility housing old equipment. I did a training course at Lincoln and marveled at the opportunity to use and try different equipment. It was all Lincoln, but everything from Tombstones to dual control generators. I figured like a stereo wall, the display would be an attraction, the chance to try them out...part of the training. Welding shop to keep the doors open and bills paid. A little internet and make some money maybe?

Those "old" timers, the young and newer versions... I like the sound old mechanical makes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5920.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	599003

Ignore the backseat from the Chevelle project, the wood scraps, but dead center focus on the springs. That's it. Back against the wall. One thing for sure, I kept it this long and in that spot for 10 years to survive so it's done well. But if your up for the challenge, move over Mohair, I'm going leather.

Happy July 4th! I hear you guys are getting tanks. Well be safe.

Comment

I wanted to open a welding museum with all of the old welders and equip. We had a perfect place where i used to live for it. Then i sold almost all of my stuff and moved. I just got new interests and not enough time for them all. But i cut down my driving time to/from work from 2+ hours to 25 seconds each way. So that freed up some time.
                            Bob Wright

Comment

Grampa sewed upholstery for Cunningham horse drawn by hand, didn't tolerate machine sewn. Near drowned both his daughters by making them bathing costumes from rejected fabric. I can still close my eyes and see Mom & Marge talking about their first trip into the water and some huge German guy plucking both of them out & carrying them to the beach. Mom's whole side of the family were pretty much in the rag trade when they came here, and could sew up anything from a man's suit to a Morris chair, but their tool limitation was scissors and needle.

You kids are going to play #e!! finding decent quality horsehair in today's market, and cotton batting, forget about it.
                              Cunningham Carriage factory survived the ghetto for over 60 years, and is now rich yuppie guarded apartments. Heavy coin was spent to find, restore and park a Cunningham in the lobby.

Parts for the Singers are still available from Pilgrim Sewing Machine in Boston and burlap might be making a comeback. This town was up to its neck in Singer high speeds till garment manufacturing went off shore. Truck loads of machines went to Mexico for the trade there. Rochester had the 2nd largest ILGWU in the US till manufacturers figured out it was cheaper to move garments than garment workers.

Bob, you got a Megger in your collection? That ol girl looks good, but megging never hurts and can save a machine from burning up when powered up. Other shortcoming in those machines is transformer taps breaking loose if the machine has been dropped hard in moving. I lost a Gen 1 P&H because it rolled across a 1 inch drop in a dock lip while being moved. $10 bore camera will also tell a lot looking around in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post

Bob, you got a Megger in your collection?
                                I am sure there is one at work. We have a Russian electrician that comes in quite often...
                                Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X