Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in your garage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Are you looking to get any other equipment, like a lathe or a mill? I may know where some of that kind of equipment is near me if you're looking. It's all older stuff, but it's probably made better than the new stuff.

    I don't have kids either and my wife is a treasure. She has never hassled me for the junk I bring home.

    Comment


    • #47
      When the fella comes home from the coal mine and collects the dust that accumulates, eventually it's enough to build a small fire. While some just wash it away without a second thought to what it can accumulate into, patience it seems has it's rewards .

      I did google average welder salary USA and Canada. $33,220 USA, $52,000 ($65000 in Alberta) Canada. Ask about our tax system if that number seems rich?

      I'm not sure about this $100000 and where it shows up, but that rumor has to be quashed. The welders I know don't make close to the big number unless they work 6-10hr days a week, have no life outside work, mostly divorced, they drink like fishes, watch loads of hockey and as far as doing things in a garage goes, they don't.


      I'm not sure if the spoils of war applies, what I would say is you didn't just wash the dust away from the days spent working the mine.












      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post

        She has never hassled me for the junk I bring home.
        D A M M I T Jones, how do you expect to lead men into fire when you can't properly spell JUNQUE?

        The probies won't be able to understand the TXT you send them.

        How will you possibly instruct on proper technique for hauling barrels of beer back to the house?


        Noel, just grin a lot as you watch em sober up and point out It ain't aboot what you make, it ain't aboot what you paid John Bull, It's all aboot what YOU KEEP. It completely demoralizes the happy drunk hockey watchers.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Noel View Post
          I'm not sure about this $100000 and where it shows up, but that rumor has to be quashed. The welders I know don't make close to the big number unless they work 6-10hr days a week, have no life outside work, mostly divorced, they drink like fishes, watch loads of hockey and as far as doing things in a garage goes, they don't.
          There are a lot of people who assume welders make tons of money when in reality they make no more then other trades. 100k definitely seems high for the US, but its certainly possible. At $45/hr, 40 hours a week and 52 weeks a year you make 93, 600 gross. Not that hard to do in Alberta really. Of course now that the oil is down its a lot harder. However those are pipe welder wages, around here it seems your lucky to get $25/hr working at a shop. A crappy wage in my opinion.
          www.silvercreekwelding.com

          Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
          Miller extreme 12vs
          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
          Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
            Are you looking to get any other equipment, like a lathe or a mill? I may know where some of that kind of equipment is near me if you're looking. It's all older stuff, but it's probably made better than the new stuff.

            I don't have kids either and my wife is a treasure. She has never hassled me for the junk I bring home.
            Not at the moment. All I have right now to learn on is a Smithy Midas 1220LTD. Later on I would like a separate lathe & mill, so when that time comes I'll look into it.

            As for the 100k/yr estimate I mentioned, my dad worked 40yrs in the oil fields here in Texas, as a frac supervisor. He was the one who told me that some of the older, experienced "senior" weldors that he worked directly with, were taking some nice coin home. But of course I know that is not exactly the "norm".
            Last edited by OscarJr; 06-29-2019, 02:19 PM.
            HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
            HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
            HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
            HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
            HTP Microcut 875SC

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by OscarJr View Post



              As for the 100k/yr estimate I mentioned, my dad worked 40yrs in the oil fields here in Texas, as a frac supervisor. He was the one who told me that some of the older, experienced "senior" weldors that he worked directly with, were taking some some nice coin home.
              That would have been the men who could and would get the job done right the first time without him holding their hand and telling them which move to make next. The rest were happy getting scale and praying nobody noticed their "golden arm" was tarnished brass on its best day.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Willvis View Post

                There are a lot of people who assume welders make tons of money when in reality they make no more then other trades. 100k definitely seems high for the US, but its certainly possible. At $45/hr, 40 hours a week and 52 weeks a year you make 93, 600 gross. Not that hard to do in Alberta really. Of course now that the oil is down its a lot harder. However those are pipe welder wages, around here it seems your lucky to get $25/hr working at a shop. A crappy wage in my opinion.
                The oil patch and the money stories. Google says in Alberta things aren't paying $45 an hour ($31.89 average hourly) and my buddy in Nisku was recently offered $28 for a CWB flux core job, welding skids or something similar in fabrication. That's a $50-60 a year job working the bag off which after tax, amounts to not living the dream but keeping the boat afloat.

                https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occu...ofiles/welder/

                Wire Feed Operator is the new name they sell. Hmm? Wonder why?
                If you follow the link down at the bottom of the page, read the recent job postings and the offered wages. $100000 is a myth. Total BS for the most part that hasn't changed for decades but used as a lure to attract interest into a trade that seemingly has failed to become obsolete with technology's advancements. But it's getting there. Throw it away buy a new one if it breaks, or make it so easy any monkey can do it if the machine is set for them. Sounds harsh but it is what it is.

                Two guys doing the same job, smarts don't come into play, how cheaply they'll work does however.

                For all those chasing that dream, I say good luck. Odds are against you. You want to be a have, rather then a have not, work more, spend less and save the dust.





                Comment


                • #53
                  Sounds to me like Oscar here wants to open a shop, not go weld in west Texas. A fab shop around here with a good reputation could absolutely pull in some serious coin.

                  For me, I have a side business with my fab shop. I work hard to make sure that my primary job stays my primary job. Otherwise I don't believe I will be providing the service I took an oath of office to provide. When I get too busy, I turn work away. Simple as that. If I did even the littlest amount of cold calling, I have no doubt I would overwhelm myself with work in short order.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    Sounds to me like Oscar here wants to open a shop, not go weld in west Texas. A fab shop around here with a good reputation could absolutely pull in some serious coin.

                    For me, I have a side business with my fab shop. I work hard to make sure that my primary job stays my primary job. Otherwise I don't believe I will be providing the service I took an oath of office to provide. When I get too busy, I turn work away. Simple as that. If I did even the littlest amount of cold calling, I have no doubt I would overwhelm myself with work in short order.
                    Isn't Cold Calling against IAFF Rules?

                    Are you one of the sneaks that claims it's pre need inspection?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Nope.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Noel View Post

                        The oil patch and the money stories. Google says in Alberta things aren't paying $45 an hour ($31.89 average hourly) and my buddy in Nisku was recently offered $28 for a CWB flux core job, welding skids or something similar in fabrication. That's a $50-60 a year job working the bag off which after tax, amounts to not living the dream but keeping the boat afloat.

                        https://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/occu...ofiles/welder/

                        Wire Feed Operator is the new name they sell. Hmm? Wonder why?
                        If you follow the link down at the bottom of the page, read the recent job postings and the offered wages. $100000 is a myth. Total BS for the most part that hasn't changed for decades but used as a lure to attract interest into a trade that seemingly has failed to become obsolete with technology's advancements. But it's getting there. Throw it away buy a new one if it breaks, or make it so easy any monkey can do it if the machine is set for them. Sounds harsh but it is what it is.

                        Two guys doing the same job, smarts don't come into play, how cheaply they'll work does however.

                        For all those chasing that dream, I say good luck. Odds are against you. You want to be a have, rather then a have not, work more, spend less and save the dust.
                        Times are tough in Alberta. UA 488 gave away our double time and took a pay cut. That was supposed to help us secure work but it has stayed the same. So they basically gave it away for nothing. Think we'll ever get it back? But 100k is not a myth, they're have been several years that I've cleared that. The years I didn't were mostly because I chose not to work all year. I know lots of people who make 150+ but all they do is work. Ive also had years where I made 60k
                        www.silvercreekwelding.com

                        Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
                        Miller extreme 12vs
                        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
                        Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          The myth again is that everyone does. Like the **** industry. Truth is most don't, stats tell that story. But some do, I'll give you that.
                          I've never worked the shut downs, gone to Fort Mac, or worked Union work. But I've seen the pay checks and yes, some do work the hours, and the many days to accumulate the large dough. I broke the number 3 times but not as a welder, as a College Welding Instructor.
                          If your willing to suffer that time away from family, friends and interests, you deserve something and money seems to be the icing on that cake. Take away the double time, working weekends and stat holidays and try reaching the number?
                          As you mention, Local 488 and others locals, the private sector, all have given up somethings to what was supposed to be to in the effort to keep the brotherhood, the blue collar slaves, employed and working.
                          Those easy money days are gone and likely not to be seen again for some time in my opinion.




                          Comment


                          • #58
                            There are A LOT of welders in Alberta. That is a problem. Supply and demand... Part of the reason I moved back to BC and trying to find my own niche here. Every farmer and hobbyist "can" weld steel but few try or have the equipment for aluminum. Your right, they took away double time, and lots of other benifits. Now a days they want you to pay your own way up to fort mac. What's the point? May as well go work Tim hortons for $15/hr
                            www.silvercreekwelding.com

                            Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
                            Miller extreme 12vs
                            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
                            Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I don't know whats the norm but I think those stat numbers tend to be on the low side. But they may be brought down by a lot of un Skilled welders or other tradesmen. I once went for an interview for a job that said aluminun welding. It was just after I finished my "a" level welding which is sortof a stepup from journyman in alberta. They said they were really impressed with my resume. I went down and it was a formal interview with a guy in a suit and in their boardroom. I thought ok this is strange, any other "interview" I've had was usually with a foreman in coveralls or just a weld test. At the end he asked me what wage I was looking for. I think said $25-$28 per hour. He had a socked look and said "our top guy makes $14/hr. Do welders actually make that much?" I wanted to say "f*ck you for wasting my time" but said ok thanks this isnt for me. If I went for that interview now that is exactly what I would say. The point is a guy that tacks window frames togethor isnt a welder imo but he probably affects the stats you talk of.
                              www.silvercreekwelding.com

                              Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
                              Miller extreme 12vs
                              Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
                              Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Often thought Canada is a strange stepchild in the world of trades.
                                Back in 65 I knew a couple crews out of Montreal working a new school job here. They were without doubt 6 of the best I ever saw, and hauled their campers to the job and set up. Other than their abismal tea, they were great guys to work with and even shoot the bull with.

                                We had a couple hundred Canadians here at the time in several trades.


                                When the market reversed in late 66, the Canadians had all gone back to Montreal to get fat on the Olympics.
                                Canadian Locals made it very clear, don't bother coming North, US workers can not and will not be allowed to wlrk in Canada unless approved as Landed Immigrants. Oddly workers were being imported from all over lesser britania though, by the plane load.

                                When the oil patch broke, Canada again imported from all over the former empire. You guys imported too many and flushed your sweet deal. From where I sit, you need to replace some government, and even break the commonwelth up. Minimally half of Canadian workers are supporting Quebec where nothing is produced.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X