anyone in the pipefitters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone in the pipefitters

Got an interview with the pipefitters next month and was wondering if any of you are in it and what do you do will I be welding pipe or just fitting it? Originally I wanted to get into pipeline welding but don’t know anyone that does it and I don’t have a machine so I figured this would be the closest to that for now

Also I know if I get in they are counting my school toward the apprenticeship 2-3 years out of 5

Comment

I am. It depends a lot on the job, project, location and even the local I expect. In a fab shop you will just weld. In the field and especially maintenance expect to do a lot of pipe fitting type work. Ie. Bolting up flanges, changing valves, rigging, etc. Lots of grunt work at times. The money is good but the work isn't all that great. I'm working for myself now and hope I don't ever have to go back,
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Its interesting that your interviewing for a job and don't know anything about it. What made you interested in the job in the first place if that's the case?

Comment

I could be wrong, but the interview is to see if he has the right stuff to be a member? From my understanding of things, they don't take just anyone anymore. They are trying to rule out the lazy, uninspired, unmotivated, unwilling to work membership in the club. No longer the easy road to big pay checks, purse strings have tightened up and people are required to actually work to make a buck rather the just look busy.

Comment

I would agree that the interview should be for that. But to seek an interview not knowing anything about the job is odd to me. Generally speaking, someone has some sort of interest in a field that compels them to seek employment there.

I think it's a good thing to ask questions like he is, so don't misunderstand my motive.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
              I could be wrong, but the interview is to see if he has the right stuff to be a member? From my understanding of things, they don't take just anyone anymore. They are trying to rule out the lazy, uninspired, unmotivated, unwilling to work membership in the club. No longer the easy road to big pay checks, purse strings have tightened up and people are required to actually work to make a buck rather the just look busy.
              Yes that is basically it. Each local has its own rules or ways of doing things too. Often you have to work as a permit and obtain x amount of hours before you are granted membership as well.

As to the applying for a job he doesn't know anything about. My guess is he's recently finish welding and school and maybe obtained some pressure welding qualifications. Therefore looking for work as a pressure welder would be the next logical step. I understand that not knowing exactly what the job / union entails as I've been there before. Welding is in every industry so depending where you go one job can be quite different from the next.

Miller extreme 12vs
              Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

I meant that I wanted to know how they do things and with it being pipefitters I was wondering if I would get to weld the pipe or just fit and tack it and yeah I’ve been out of tech school for about a year and a half graduated with honors for combo welding and pipe I liked doing pipe so I thought this would be the best one to get into

Comment

Like with buying and selling houses, location is everything when it comes to UA apprenticeship. Bud of mine is one of the Coordinators for the Local here, and the stories he tells make me want to cry. They weed out 75% of candidates with the urine test, and send half of what's left down the road because they can't do basic math or read a ruler. They also watch candidates in the waiting area before they talk to them to sort potential workers from bodies looking for a check.

Re: your schooling, list it on paper, and keep your mouth shut about it unless asked, then answer honestly. UA selection guys have low opinions of most commercial welding schools, and from what I see around here, they are right.

Do NOT mention any Certificates you obtained from a commercial school in a selection interview!!! That's certain DEATH.

You got a record of employment, emphasize it showing you are dependable, showing up on time and 5 days a week. You will also want to point out you have a dependable vehicle to get to and from work, that's a biggy with Boards. They don't care if you can weld or not, their plan is to teach incoming apprentices how to weld THEIR way.

If I recall correctly UA local here has their apprenticeship math test on their web site.

You walk in with basic measuring skills and basic math, and a reason why you WANT to be a pipe fitter, you got a good chance if there is work in your jurisdiction. Kid I know here just dropped out of the program because every job he was offered was minimally 100 miles from his bedroom. At 13 bucks + benefits and no travel money he couldn't make it happen. Local had no problem with him withdrawing and if any work turns up he's welcome back. Rochester is so dead they cut a deal to send 1st year apprentices to Pennsylvania and Albany Locals to get the class started.

Comment

Go in there and be yourself. They won't want you if you're not a good for them and you dadgum sure won't want to work there if that's the case. That principle will apply to pretty much any interview or oral board you go to. You'll find where you belong. Work hard, show up early, work late when needed, don't be a cry baby...AND STAY OFF THE CELL PHONE....and you'll be fine. They surely want someone that's teachable, not a know it all.

Comment

Gotta agree with the hose hauler here If you have a handfiller all important device keeping you in contact with the White House, turn the **** thing OFF before you enter the building, and leave it OFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas28 View Post
                        I meant that I wanted to know how they do things and with it being pipefitters I was wondering if I would get to weld the pipe or just fit and tack it and yeah I’ve been out of tech school for about a year and a half graduated with honors for combo welding and pipe I liked doing pipe so I thought this would be the best one to get into
                        Its going to depend a lot on the local and wether your going in as a journyman with your pressure tickets or if your going in as more of an apprentice. Here in Canada, in BC they dont take apprentices and they wont look at you without your presssure tickets. Thats how I started and your basically thrown to the wolves lol. In Alberta they take apprentices and journyman without pressure tickets. Which is a bit silly really. In an industrial plant you cant weld anything if you dont have the tickets so you end up as a helper basically. Not the way to go in my opion. You need a job where you can burn lots of rod and get good at it.

Miller extreme 12vs
                        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Canada is a completely different ball game. Can tickets & stamps belong to the man, and it's up to him to keep his book current.

In the US Certs belong to either the Company or the Local and go DEAD 10 days after a man leaves the job he's certified for.
                          Testing here is at best corrupt, and Trade Schools and Auto Body Suppliers issue FAKE Certificates.

Good Lard, Canadians even burn Metric rods & wire. How can there be comparison?

Comment

I’m in East Tennessee and no pressure tickets just certs from the school and where I graduated into the honor society which they already have copy’s of all that and my resume.

Is it really a bad thing I don’t have any pressure tickers since I’ll be a apprentice I can and will pass a weld test if they will give me one as an apprentice.

I’ve passed all the iron workers weld test but they didn’t have any work local and would have to be local so I could go to they’re training so noting ever happened after the test

Comment

I’m wanting to get into the pipefitters because I like welding pipe and really want to get in because no where around here wants to pay anything right now I’m working in a fab shop building huge signs mostly and some other things for 12$ an hour. Usually wouldn’t go under 15-20 but not to far of a drive plus I had got laid off and by the time I found out about it I was broke so I had to go work there

Comment

Working...
                              X