No announcement yet.

MillerMatic 212 turns itself off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

240v compressor works fine on the same outlet I'm using for the welder.

Tested the voltage at the switch inside the welder, solid 240v.

Swapped the cord anyway, still doesn't work.

Check out the video. Is it possible the power is "clean" enough to run my compressor but when the welder tries to turn on, it checks for something and decides to shut itself down?

Last edited by aPoundFoolish; 06-15-2019, 11:38 PM.
    MM212

Comment

Does NOT compute.
      Welder doesn't care about clean power.
      Did you test both sides of the switch, in/out? That isn't likely since you say the machine functioned at the Service Center.

The machine isn't even applying load to the line in your video.

Can you take the machine to another known good plug?

Comment

Does NOT compute is right.

I tested both sides of the switch and both are getting 240v.

I don't have easy access to another 240v outlet but I was considering borrowing a generator.

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
        The machine isn't even applying load to the line in your video.
        What do you mean that it is not "applying load to the line"?
        Last edited by aPoundFoolish; 06-15-2019, 11:38 PM.
        MM212

Comment

What we seem to be having here is a communication issue.
          Hopefully that can change. I labeled 2 terminals a and b on the pic.
          Do you have 240 volts from a to b, or 240 volts from a to machine ground and 240 volts from b to machine ground?

Comment

Do you have 240 volts from a to b, or 240 volts from a to machine ground and 240 volts from b to machine ground?
            I get 240v from A to B
            MM212

Comment

OK, that eliminates all power problems from wall to switch.

If you also have 240v on the machine side of the switch that eliminates the power switch as the problem.

Does the machine have a gas presence sensor that is shutting the machine down for want of gas?

Comment

Does the machine have a gas presence sensor that is shutting the machine down for want of gas?
                This is where my head is at now since I don't know this machine. Did I just set it up wrong?

Will the welder shut itself down like this if it detects that there is no gas supply? No gun connected, no wire, etc...
                MM212

Comment

I'd score it entirely possible some self protection was built into the machine by miller.

Pull up the operating manual from miller and read carefully after you skip all the safety crapola.
                  The tech writers at miller have a cute habit of casually mentioning features that can drive you over the edge to the degree of almost hiding them because the writers don't know the machine r understand welding.

The guy who was insisting on setting up his ebay gun on a miller a few weeks back was hitting a similar shutdown that I found was a machine Safety function. Problem seems to stem from the reality these machines are built to be robot power supplies, NOT welders.

Comment

Talked to a Miller tech today and he confirmed that there are no internal checks that he is aware of. The machine does not check for gas feed, nor does it do any sort of power "quality" check.

WTF?

The tech seemed as baffled as we all are. He suggested that I can check for 24v on RC8 between pins 1-2 and 3-4 to confirm the board is powered. However, since I get LED lights on the front, it seems like it is.

I'm going to rent a 240v genny from Home Depot and see if it will run off of that...
                    MM212

Comment

I'll say it again, read the manual!
                      Between the manual and what your video shows the answer appears to be the machine shutting down after performing a programmed check.

Gee, the "tech" working there till he/she finds somebody to pay off his/her student loans can't read the screen or doesn't know how to querry the computer. What's new?

Comment

Gee, the "tech" working there till he/she finds somebody to pay off his/her student loans can't read the screen or doesn't know how to querry the computer. What's new?
                        Appreciate the reality check and I agree with you. I've read the manual and haven't come across anything I found particularly illuminating, but it's entirely possible there is something I've missed.

I will post an update after I attempt to run the machine off a generator. If anyone has any specific ideas as to what the welder might be checking for and then failing, i'd love to hear them.

I am determined to get to the bottom of this...

MM212

Comment

I think it's checking for a pulse.

No pulse? Start CPR....

Comment

Buried in the manual are 2 Notations, and I do mean buried.

That thing is NOT a welder, it's a power supply for a robot with feeder.

'Detects shorted gun' bellows Robot operated.

Self shutdown is another computer driven function of the machine.

There is also a notation about 2 different blink rates for the Trouble light.

The machine itself is performing to manufacturer specifivccations.

I found no notations on how to change the timer related to looking for the gun, perhaps this machine is not field changeable in that respect..

The instant that device is powered on the computer looks for a functional gun in my opinion. No gun or shorted gun you got shutdown in 2 or 3 seconds.

Maybe Ryan can slap a 12 lead on it and see more.

Comment

I expect to see an accelerated idioventricular rhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                                I expect to see an accelerated idioventricular rhythm.
                                You're still screwing around with the skid in the parking lot trying to use it for a HVLP paint sprayer, aren't you.

Comment

Working...
                                X