Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of welding electrode will be suitable for welding rails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franz©
    replied
    Naw, i'm thinking something a little farther up the scale than Iron Oxide for better burn speed.

Leave a comment:

• Willvis
    replied
    Maybe the guy with the rusty tractor bucket can donate that part?

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Got any Oxidizer?

Leave a comment:

• Willvis
    replied
    I got lots of aluminum powder if you need to make some thermite lol

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    On an Amtrak run from DC to Boston, I saw some guys thermite welding track. It's a badass process.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    A five second google search turns up all sorts of welding rods and methods for railroad tracks. Who'd have thunk the google was so smart.

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    Depending on what you plan on doing to and with your RR track, this rod might be what you're needing. RRs used to use gas welding to build up switch points, rail end chips, and frogs. https://www.rrtoolsnsolutions.com/we...eldingRods.asp

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Chiminia patio heater in your part of the country when it comes to the single use ceramic pots. If you could work a deal with the track crew to handle the pots carefully after use you could sit in front of the firehouse selling them as recycled patio heaters. Recycled would qualify you as a EnviroHero to the green folks.

Just one little hint, DON'T squirt wet stuff from the hose thingy onto a red hot ceramic pot. The pot will become a self cauterizing claymore and it may hurt you.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    A miniature blast furnace.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    I think these guys are using NeverLast machines with HorribleFright consumables.
    Good video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjosF789X4

Leave a comment:

• snoeproe
    replied
    If your contemplating welding rail road track with stick, forget it. It will crack again in short order especially if it’s still being used. The rail road companies don’t stick weld track, for a good reason. There’s too much carbon in this steel.
    Thermite welding is the way to weld rail track successfully.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Would he be Maclopedia or an encycloMac?

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Mac knows his rails. He also knows leaky concrete dams and big ponds partly full of water, and his wife can answer electrical questions.
    Mac is a virtual encyclopedia.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    You are correct, Mac answered in fully three words...as they say, he's a man of many....

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by candy View Post

Rail, I have a few tracks. have to be welded together one by one.
    Dude......
    You are a real serious wealth of information.
    As soon as I formulate my hypothesis I will report back.
    Meanwhile I believe Mac answered your question correctly, although I am too lazy to go back and check.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X