Millermatic 211 flux core question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 211 flux core question

I bought a new Miller 211 today, I really like it! My question is, the guy at the welding shop said I don't have to change the wires around for flux core, just the switch. The owner's book says to change the wires. What should be done for flux core? i don't plan to do much flux core, but I'd like to have it as an option. Thanks!

The manual should be regarded as the final authority as how to set the machine up for the desired process. Sales people are sales people, don't expect them to know much at all. I really try to learn as much as I can before buying something because the guy at the shop isn't the one who has to deal with the item once it leaves the shop. Every now and then, there's one that does surprises me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1944 View Post
      The manual should be regarded as the final authority as how to set the machine up for the desired process. Sales people are sales people, don't expect them to know much at all. I really try to learn as much as I can before buying something because the guy at the shop isn't the one who has to deal with the item once it leaves the shop. Every now and then, there's one that does surprises me.
      For sure! While I am not a big fan of Airgas, I am incredibly thankful for an old-time welder who works in my local store that knows his stuff, treats me very decently on price, and is an all-around good guy. A rare find these days! When you can't find one of those guys, and you apparently can't, breavis, you just have to read the book and ask here or call Miller if there's something you don't understand. Hope you have a blast with the new machine!

Comment

Yes you have to have DCEN for running E71T-11 or E71T-GS, which are gas-less flux cored wire. You should educate that salesman on how welding wires actually work, now that you know.

Running gas-less flux core definitely has it's advantages if you need to do repairs out in the field and not in the shop. Don't have to worry about light gusts of wind. You just have to deal with the large amounts of spatter and much more fumes. Also don't take it for granted if you're welding with gas-less flux core whether it's indoors or outdoors. With your head very close to the weld area (as it should be for proper puddle visibility), you would otherwise be inhaling fumes you shouldn't be inhaling if you don't wear a proper respirator. 3M respirator with 2097 or 2297 pancake filters please.
        Last edited by OscarJr; 05-30-2019, 09:06 AM.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

"guy at the welding shop" - did this "guy" also ask you if you wanted fries with that? Jeez, what a dip sh**... Steve

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it have a polarity selector switch on the front for process? Sound like the positive and negative were reversed on assembly?
            https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...65809D_MIL.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
              Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it have a polarity selector switch on the front for process? Sound like the positive and negative were reversed on assembly?
              https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...65809D_MIL.pdf
              That selector is really for the Auto Set feature. You do use it for manual mode as well but it doesn't change the polarity- that still has to be done by reversing the cables inside the machine.

I imagine the the process selector knob changes inductance like my Passport Plus.
              I can choose SS, Mild Steel or Aluminum.
              Last edited by Broccoli1; 05-30-2019, 12:23 PM.
              Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post

That selector is really for the Auto Set feature. You do use it for manual mode as well but it doesn't change the polarity- that still has to be done by reversing the cables inside the machine.

I imagine the the process selector knob changes inductance like my Passport Plus.
                Pays to read the manual. You are correct. My quick scan was focused on the panel not the reading part? I'm sure someone who new a little about welding but lots about making things complicated came up with that approach to a better idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post

It also changes the volt/WFS curves because the auto-set parameters for different wire-types and/or gas mixtures are not exactly the same, ie: the 1/8" setting for mild steel on C25 does not produce the same volts/WFS as the 1/8" setting for Stainless on TriMix.
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                  HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                  HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                  HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                  HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

As if life wasn't complicated enough? I'm thinking this is a conversation that needs something more added into the discussion or left as is and accepted for what's been said?
                    And after what's been said,I could accept easily the idea of the process dial controlling inductance. What I'm trying to do is picture each of those wires burning and asking myself would I want more or less in rate of response depending on which wire was being used and the properties of the wire type?
                    I guess if the machine does it, I could call it the magic and be content at that. But I'm also wondering if the change in dial position effects the length of wire coming out when the trigger is squeezed? Does it do that?

Comment

I'm amazed Ed has a Passport that hasn't been flung thru the dealer's window.

Comment

Noel, having been on design teams in a few jobs I would assume that, since that polarity reversal needs to conduct the FULL WELD CURRENT, having that front panel switch handle that fuction would've raised the production cost enough to get it tossed out of the "wish list" ... Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                          I'm amazed Ed has a Passport that hasn't been flung thru the dealer's window.
                          Passport Plus maybe they fixed any problems they had with the original Passport.

I don't use mine as a day to day working machine so it works just fine for me.
                          Ed Conley
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

There is a simple but effective method to switch polarity on the Multimatic 215 without an expensive switch, just dinse connectors. No tools needed.

---Meltedmetal
                            ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                              As if life wasn't complicated enough? I'm thinking this is a conversation that needs something more added into the discussion or left as is and accepted for what's been said?
                              And after what's been said,I could accept easily the idea of the process dial controlling inductance. What I'm trying to do is picture each of those wires burning and asking myself would I want more or less in rate of response depending on which wire was being used and the properties of the wire type?
                              I guess if the machine does it, I could call it the magic and be content at that. But I'm also wondering if the change in dial position effects the length of wire coming out when the trigger is squeezed? Does it do that?

On manual mode- NO. You have to set the Voltage and Wire speed.

I am only guessing when I say that inductance is changed when the process dial is set to each specific process based on how my Passport Plus works and it was one of the first small inverters Miller offered with a button to select SS, Mild or Aluminum. No auto set on the Passport so one still hd to dial in the voltage and wire speed.

In Auto-set- Yes. The machine adjust everything based on preset parameters for metal thickness and wire choice.
                              Ed Conley
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Working...