Push pull guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push pull guns

Anyone with much experience with push pull guns? Im wondering if a 35' gun experiences more problems then a 25' version.
    www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
    Miller extreme 12vs
    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
    Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

No to that experience. But what I can see for disadvantage is the need for a bigger spool or reel to wrap it all up. I must admit though, the idea of reaching the extra distance holds some appeal to a guy with a small MIG in each corner because the shop is to crowded to move machines around?
    What's your plan Willvis?

Comment

Noel what do you mean by bigger spool? The welding wire? The amount of welding wire that's wasted from a spool change out is negligible.
      Right now I have a 25' lincoln panther push pull gun I bought off ebay. It does work great some time. I was having some minor issues and that's when I decided I would tear the gun down and see what I could do. The conduit seemed to have a lot of twists in it so I pulled it off the power pin and straightened it up a bit. I also thought the liner was a bit long so I shortened it a bit. That was a fatal mistake. I made it to short now and then had lots of problems. The conduit is no longer available according to the welding supply store. I do wonder if one from a new gun would work. Maybe I need to call lincoln myself. Well I got the gun working ok ish now by shortening the outer conduit but its still messed up. Twist it a certain way and it will stop feeding.

Reason I'm asking about the 35' is if I was going to buy a new one a 35' would be ideal. Could reach all around the shop. A 15' to me is useless. 25' is a decent length but that extra 10' sure would be handy sometime. The issue I see is its obviously harder to push through 35' and more chance to get loops that cause problems. At $3500 cdn I want to make sure I get one Id be happy with

Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

2 sided coin, similar to how many feet of cable on a stick machine -v- moving the machine.

As I recall pics of your shop, you'd be much better served with an overhead rail carrying the suitcase and a 20-25 foot cable from suitcase to gun.
        Your description of a kinked up cable and liner should tell you why. The cable between suitcase and gun is just too vulnerable, and long cables find trouble to get themselves into.

As to a replacement liner not being available; BULLSPIT!
        Worst case it's nothing but lawnmower throttle cable/shield, and that comes in 100 foot rolls (no idea how many metrics that is, I AIN'T Metric)

Comment

Lots of welding supply sell 100' mig gun liners. Some sell guns with 100' cable on it.
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by Willvis View Post
            Noel what do you mean by bigger spool? The welding wire? The amount of welding wire that's wasted from a spool change out is negligible.
            Right now I have a 25' lincoln panther push pull gun I bought off ebay. It does work great some time. I was having some minor issues and that's when I decided I would tear the gun down and see what I could do. The conduit seemed to have a lot of twists in it so I pulled it off the power pin and straightened it up a bit. I also thought the liner was a bit long so I shortened it a bit. That was a fatal mistake. I made it to short now and then had lots of problems. The conduit is no longer available according to the welding supply store. I do wonder if one from a new gun would work. Maybe I need to call lincoln myself. Well I got the gun working ok ish now by shortening the outer conduit but its still messed up. Twist it a certain way and it will stop feeding.

Reason I'm asking about the 35' is if I was going to buy a new one a 35' would be ideal. Could reach all around the shop. A 15' to me is useless. 25' is a decent length but that extra 10' sure would be handy sometime. The issue I see is its obviously harder to push through 35' and more chance to get loops that cause problems. At $3500 cdn I want to make sure I get one Id be happy with
            HTP America sells (through custom-order) 39-foot air or water-cooled push-pull guns for their line machines. Perhaps they can custom make you one for yours. You can always call and ask. They'll probably have you talk to Jeff, the owner (or have him call you back). If you're gonna spend money, might as well go all out, lol.
            HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
            HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
            HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
            HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
            HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Maybe a pendant on a swing arm would fit the bill.

Comment

I was just thinking how it was back in the day wrapping welding cables. No one had spools, it was hangers and it was drag and loop. I'm sure the thought of a bit of extra wire or shielding gas didn't enter in the picture at all actually, or it didn't for me? What I thought about was all that cable wrapped up and hanging. Ok, that and thinking the man is climbing into a tri-axle dump to do repairs and can't reach as being an issue? That long of reach isn't cheap is it?

Comment

Well its 100 Usd more for the 35 then the 25. Worth it I think considering the price of one. Mk, Lincoln, miller all have a 50' model aswell. I was hoping to here from someone whos used the longer guns and if they found them to be more problematic then the shorter gun. The guy I talked to from MK this morning said I shouldn't have more problems since like he pointed out they make 50' models. I imagine keeping the loops out is the key, no different then the 25' really. And Franz I did consider hanging the welder from a beam trolley before. While I could hang just the feeder I would need a long welding cable to atach it to the machine and also a long control cable. The control cables are some major $ in thenselves. So may aswell just hang the whole machine but I would need to make some sort of basket for it and I just dont have the time right now. Plus I dont think the extra 10' on the gun will make that much difference for feeding. Also the replacement "liner" is actually the whole conduit. A teflon liner inside another plastic tube. I bought some teflon tubing from a hose supply place and it didnt work at all. Too thin and soft compared to the original. That was a waste of 80 bucks. So while I could try order a teflon liner from the new lincoln gun it might just be throwing money away. Im not sure whats causing the issue right now. The gun will feed fine but turn it 360 and it wont feed at all. Talking to the mk cobra guy it sounds like I should never have pulled the liner out. On there guns you have to buy the whole new conduit. Yet lincolns seem like you can just replace the liner. I think theres the reason mk does that though and I think it has to do with the problem im having

Miller extreme 12vs
                  Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Wilvis, you're shopping way too far down Retail Highway.

Pick a search engine, and look into Bowden cable. That's the proper nomenclature for the lawnmower cable that carrys the wire between suitcase and gun. You'll find quite a few manufacturers willing to build you the liner of your dreams.

I'm thinking somebody at Cobra division of whoever owns Cobra in 2019 either didn't know what he was talking about, or was trying to cheat you blind.

Then again

Comment

The stuff you don't find in some guys garage? I have to admit, seems like a more brilliant idea the more I think about it? 50' affords a fella to do some traveling distance doesn't it? I can't see any greater issues for the distance as long as the feed rate pushing and pulling is set properly and as mentioned, the liner isn't restricting either.

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
                        Wilvis, you're shopping way too far down Retail Highway.

Franz, that is a GREAT line. Captures my thinking for a lot of years, but I never put it in those words!

Comment

Hmmm. I guess I never mentioned it was aluminum Im looking to use the gun for. I hate paying retail, I try to open accounts wherever I can. Unfortunetly I dont think that bowden stuff will work, for steel wire sure but aluminum needs a teflon liner. I guess I could buy some new outer plastic tubing and a teflon liner from a new magum gun and put my own togethor. The outer tube is just pushed onto the connectors which have hose barb ends. I dont want to keep throwing money at something that might not fix the problem either.

Miller extreme 12vs
                          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Yep--just to see if it would work if I kept the gun cable really straight, I tried aluminum through a Bowden liner....once...just gotta have teflon.

Comment

OK you either make progress or you sit around making excuses.

There's this thing called a search engine, you know sort of like the hook you pull thru the cutoff pile with, but it worked from your computer or all important substitute for thinking called a DEVICE.

So, you put lined bowden cable into the search box, and wadda ya know, Chinkomatic and Blue and Red and Yellow ain't all running a wire guide factory out back of the transformer shop. Sure looks like they buy it cheap and some woman named Mavis cuts it to lengths, and hands it to another woman named Olga who mounts the end(s).

So, if Mavis & Olga can do it, WHY CAN'T YOU?
                              Here's a start for you.
                              https://catalog.lexcocable.com/viewi...bowden-conduit

Just send consulting payments to Uncle Franz.

Comment

Working...
                              X