Dialarc HF Power Cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialarc HF Power Cable

I just picked up a Dialarc 250 AC/DC HF. The machine is in excellent condition and came with all welding cables, TIG torch and foot control. I'm trying to decide how to power it with 230 VAC, but I'm finding conflicting information. The label on the front says it pulls 90 amps at 230 VAC and to use a 100 amp breaker. A sticker inside says to use a 125 amp breaker with 230 VAC. The manual says to use a 150 amp breaker. Also, what is the typical plug and receptacle used? I don't want to hard-wire the machine as I need to be able to move it to different locations. Currently, I'm looking at a pin and sleeve plug/receptacle and using 25' 8/4 for power. I have 6/4 as input to my load center.

Sort of depends on how you intend to use the machine.
    Running wide open the machine will use every bit of 90 amps on the primary and you want #2 wire going to it, think mobil home plug.
    Running part time on hald output or less #8 wire on a range plug will get the job done just fine.

Comment

Take a peek inside the manual, there is a chart that will show the size wire and breaker depending on the distance you plan to power it from.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        Take a peek inside the manual, there is a chart that will show the size wire and breaker depending on the distance you plan to power it from.
        The Miller manual that came with the machine didn't have this information. I downloaded a new copy from Miller which had the information you mentioned. Thanks.

Comment

I was able to pick up a Meltric 100 amp pin and sleeve plug and receptacle for $75.00 for the unit. I have no experience with Meltric, but hopefully the quality is good.

Comment

I bought a new Dialarc 250 HF power factor corrected machine , back in the early eighties...........first off that is not a square wave machine so your aluminum welding will be a tad different........but once you figure it out it works quite well as I built many a chome moly race cars with it with no issues until a $75.00 contactor went out and I sold it to my SIL when I decided to buy a new 280DX machine............power wise : I have a 100 amps coming to that sub-panel......but only had a 50 amp breaker on the welder........and not once in decades did it ever trip the breaker.

Comment

Is it complete? All the parts for $75?

Something has to be wrong with it.

Where did you steal that from?

Comment

The pin and sleeve unit is complete, but was filthy and very greasy. I cleaned it up and I've already mounted the receptacle and wired it to the load center. I'm waiting on my SO cable to wire the plug. The cable I ordered came in, but was not what I ordered and I had to return it and reorder. It's amazing what you can find good deals on when people don't know what they have or what it's worth.

Comment

Why 8/4 ? the power cord only needs 3 wires.

Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    Why 8/4 ? the power cord only needs 3 wires.
                    Sorry, that was a typo. I used 6/3, which is what the manual specified for 240 VAC. Also, the outer diameter of the 6/3 cable matches the strain relief in the Meltric plug. I just fired the welder up this afternoon and it works great, including the HF. The welder came with a very good Weldcraft TIG torch. I purchased the welder, including all cables, foot control and TIG torch at auction. I have to say I'm very impressed with the Meltric pin and sleeve plug and receptacle. This is the one that also acts as a disconnect switch which works quite well. This is my first experience with Meltric. I have other 100 amp pin and sleeve receptacles / plugs of other manufacture and they work well, but not as easy to use. The SCAME is particularly hard to plug in and remove, even with dielectric grease.
                    Last edited by glcaines; 06-07-2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X