See what you can do with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See what you can do with it.

That's what he said when he left his “MIG nachine” sitting on my floor. NOTE the MY part, I ain't running a machine repair shop, I own the floor, and feeling free to drop your Crapomatic on my deck ain't likely to get me to fix junk. Still, he did remind me, he put a lot of bread on my table, back before the company he worked for closed.

Well, as my cat keeps reminding me, curioscity can be dangerous. Eventually I pulled the cover and found a plastic immitation wire drive hooked to a transformer and a gob with knob that appeared to control primary voltage along with a cheap bridge rectifier; What could I do with it?

LIGHTBULB comes on as I'm eyeballing an ad for a stainless cleaning machine. Pages of crapola and just enough facts to get me to grab a meter and get some information.

De-tension the wire drive, meter shows between 6 and 13 volts DC going to the motor. The wire going to the hotglue applicator ranges between 5 and 29 volts. What we got here is possibility. Complete disconnect of rectifier, jumper transformer output, attach ground to one side of transformer and whip with 309 ss stub to other side. Hunt up crappy looking hunk of SS with a weld displaying all the usual discoloration, and some phosphoric acid mixed with water to 20%± concentration. Danged if it don't work pretty well, but it also STINKS.

Mister Usta send me Work calls to see how I'm coming on the machine. I'm looking into it.

Back to the recliner. What I need is an automatic acid pump, sort of like a chainsaw oiler, to deliver acid to the electrode. I need an electrode too to be honest, and a proper whip from power supply to electrode. Acid will happily travel down the vinyl gas hose, and the gun cable is actual copper. Pump- WunHungLo supply on Albania, and I have 11 bucks in the project. The pump motor can replace the wire drive motor in the circuit and I have variable acid delivery. When I got it together I tested with water and it worked. Variable flow was sweet, and even though the knob says IPM it means ounces per whatever.

Disassembly of the glue dispenser indicates it's almost purrrrfect to become a brush or electrode holder.

Quick trip to Fred's shop and his kid agrees the neck tube can be reworked into a sort of collet to hold either an electrode or carbon fiber brush strands. Pick it up in a week. That gave me time to remove the wire drive and look for a plastic reservoir that fit in there. The kid calls; Can it be brass? Long as it don't react with the acid, and NO Aluminum. I get the improved gun neck with retention capability. Still batting ZERO on the reservoir. Not much on the carbon fiber bristles either.

Usta calls to tell me how he will need the machine in a few weeks. He has a project and is sending me some kind of file so I can look at it. I gotta remember saved and trash are different locations for incoming emails I'll look at later.

Clip jumpers and that pump proves it can move acid at variable rate from the plastic jug to the gun. Wired that up & mounted the pump. Cobbled a plastic shield on to replace the brass nozzle. Skinned off some copper wire and made a test brush to clamp in the modified neck.

Memo: Pay attention to the pathetic duty cycle. Hunt up a thermal protector for the transformer and add a computer fan.

Actually works pretty well, but the copper brush leaves plenty to be desired.

Usta was shall we say less than impressed with what I was able to do with the “machine”. He said he'd be seeing me in Small Claims Court as he left. I'm waiting for the invitation.

I made one like this with a small transformer, a copper rod and some scotchrbrite pads and commercial descaler.

I got lost shortly after beginning to read it.

if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Working...
    X