Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econo Twin HF question

Hello everyone,

I am very new to welding, so I might be missing something obvious…
    Yesterday I picked up an Econo Twin HF that seems to be in decent shape. I want to download the manual for it, but Miller has 10 different versions broken down by serial number ranges.
    I can’t find the serial number on my machine.
    The most I can find is the Style Number “JE-35”.
    Looking a pictures online, it looks like some styles had the information on a stamped aluminum plate on the front panel, and some may have had the serial number stamped into the panel itself. I don’t see anywhere that would indicate a plate is missing, or anywhere a serial number may have been scratched out.

Can anyone tell me where else I might find the serial number?

Also, if the JE-35 Style Number corresponds to a serial number range, would the Owner’s Manual for JE09 through JJ345179 from this link be the correct one:
    https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O302H_MIL.pdf

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but I did check all six sides and I’m stumped.

Thanks,

Raxx

Circa 1987. Looking at those manuals, I'm sure you'll find them mostly the same power source? I'm sure as well part numbers would change, as might some interchangeability, optional accessories, and advancements in technology... but over all, the same. General maintenance will be similar, as will functions and out put. After that it's instructions and I found the older manuals included more. You buy a broken one?
    As far as the sr number, removing the cover might offer a wiring diagram with that information if the tag is missing from the face plate? Good chance to blow out the spiders as well?

Comment

Noel,

Thank you for your response.
      I’m trying to make sure I have the correct manual so I can perform maintenance, etc., by-the-book. I figure it most of the information should be pretty close, but I’d like to avoid stuff like setting the spark gap incorrectly (assuming there’s a difference across the styles).
      I’d also like to know what accessories are the correct ones. I’m missing the TIG gun and the remote.

Breaking it down and doing a thorough deep cleaning and lubrication is first on my list. I’m hoping I’ll find some more information once I open it up.

Thanks,

Raxx

Comment

I'm sure digging deeper into it you'll be discover the similarities, and the additions of a torch or pedal won't pose any problems. I hate to admit it but in a solid 30 years of owning my Syncrowave I've never done more then blow the dust off and threw it, so good on you for the effort.

Comment

What do you think needs to be lubricated in there?

Comment

Well...the manual I did download talks about annually lubricating the movable shunt block and the lead screw.
            While it may not be critical, I figure it's in the manual for a reason.
            I'm a big fan of PMCS, and I think if I'm tearing it down, it's a good time to take care of all the little stuff that probably never got done.

Comment

PMCS...you must be a military guy...

Ya, suppose you could live that part. I never even thought about it. I tend to lube my junk up with dirt and grinder dust.

That actually sounds kind of bad when you say it out loud.

Comment

Haha....that does sound bad...

And retired now, so I've got time to fill the garage with things I don't mention to my wife...unless she notices and I'm not paying enough attention to come up with something plausibly deniable in real short order. Blaming the cat only works so often...

Comment

White Face or a Black face Twin?

Black Face should have the data plate/sticker below the AC/DC selector
                  White face should have the SN stamped right above the selector switch. is there a safety sticker in that area?
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

It's the black face style (model?).

Searching for pictures on the web, I was able to find a couple that showed the silver (aluminum?) data plate with the serial number and other information.
                    It might be kind of hard to see in the smaller picture, but there's really no indication that there was a plate on it...no scratch marks, no area of the paint appears to be 'fresher' than anywhere else, no adhesive residue.....nothing.

It must have come off a long time ago. Even the dirt and dust appear to be uniform.
                    The only thing I can find is the stamped "JE-35" to the right of "STYLE NO." near the center.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      I tend to lube my junk up with dirt and grinder dust.
                      WOW.....what ever makes you happy Ryan

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

This is fake news.

Nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          This is fake news.

Nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything.
                          Dash-Cam video Ryan
                          +
                          Helmet cam by GoPro direct to the cloud of smoke.

Comment

Drats.

Comment

Well, I was able to pull the cover off yesterday and blow out the dust and spiders.
                              I did find a wiring diagram on the inside of the cover, and a few labels here and there, mostly inspection numbers, I think.
                              Sadly, I did not find anything that specifically indicated the Style Number.

From what I could tell, everything seemed to be in pretty decent shape, with the exception of the connection to the Electrode connection.

I doubt this is orignal.
                              Anyone have a picture of what it's supposed to look like?

Thanks,

Raxx

Comment

Working...
                              X