Aluminum tank lids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum tank lids

I was asked today if I could build an aluminum tank for a guy who does asphalt coating. He has a large plastic tank currently about 48" wide, 30 wide and 30 tall. The plastic tank has a threaded cap at the top around 8 or 10 inches diameter. Im looking for ideas for what I could use as a tank lid out of aluminum. He wants it 10 or 12 inch diameter. There are some nice aluminum marine hatches out there but they are too expensive. He doesn't really want anything threaded and in my experience anything that size that is threaded gets stupid expensive. The lid would need to be rain tight but I dont think the product spilling out would be a huge concern. I think its pretty thick stuff that goes in the tank. If theres a reasonably priced fitting that already exist it would be nice but I dont think Im going to find anything. Im thinking to make a square opening and then make a frame out of angle iron to go around the opening. Then a lid out of 1/4" plate with some weld on hinges. A gasket around the frame to keep it water tight. A simple latch mechanism could be used to keep it closed but if I wanted to get fancy I could used a tee handle for tool boxes.
    www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
    Miller extreme 12vs
    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
    Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Lets start with are you really hard up enough for work to get into the goop tank business?

Rectangular only unless the customer is providing the hatch.
    Sufdficient size to allow dumping 5 gallon buckets in but not big enough for a bucket to fall in.

I'd go to 1/4 x 3 flat for the frame recessed minimally 2" into the tank all around. Add a 1/2 x 1 flange on the inside of the frame, to support the door.
    Build the door assembly first, and get it hinged using a rod & pipe mechanism for the hinge. Mount door to frame and add dogging lugs to index dogs holding the cover closed.
    Overbuild dogs and mountings because the help in that industry hammers on everything with a pick ax.

Weld minimally 3/8 chain across the hinge side to prevent the lid from falling in.
    Might as well add a staple or similar device to help when the lid is pried open.

Comment

What about bolting in a plastic lid?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        What about bolting in a plastic lid?
        Go back to the hammer mentality.
        Make everything badass
        Industrial setting, In the Texas sun, Big mean construction dudes VS plastic china garbage
        If you want a quality marine hatch made from aluminum think about using Bomar in Massachusetts
        You still have any of that stainless from that hood you made?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          Lets start with are you really hard up enough for work to get into the goop tank business?

Rectangular only unless the customer is providing the hatch.
          Sufdficient size to allow dumping 5 gallon buckets in but not big enough for a bucket to fall in.

I'd go to 1/4 x 3 flat for the frame recessed minimally 2" into the tank all around. Add a 1/2 x 1 flange on the inside of the frame, to support the door.
          Build the door assembly first, and get it hinged using a rod & pipe mechanism for the hinge. Mount door to frame and add dogging lugs to index dogs holding the cover closed.
          Overbuild dogs and mountings because the help in that industry hammers on everything with a pick ax.

Weld minimally 3/8 chain across the hinge side to prevent the lid from falling in.
          Might as well add a staple or similar device to help when the lid is pried open.

Actually Im getting really busy and starting a big project next week. I may have some down time waiting for parts and stuff so if I could whip up a tank for these guys then why not. I agree with you about the hammer mentality.

Miller extreme 12vs
          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

I don't disagree about what the sun or a construction worker with a hammer can do to a plastic lId. Even the toughest plastic has boundaries. But by the sounds of it, his customer wants a nice tank but doesn't want to spend much and that includes the lid.

Water tanks on fire trucks are plastic. I think our trucks get worked pretty hard and we have very little trouble with them. The lids are also plastic and exposed to the sun, but we keep maniacs with hammers away from them.

I do have some stainless left, need some? Make a better lid than plastic, that's for sure.

Comment

How about these?
              Big bucks but no plastic involved.

https://www.ibctanks.com/stainless-steel
              Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Looks like a bulk tank for a dairy.

Comment

Seems the difference between big business and small business is in the use of drawings. Big business supplies a print and says how much to build this. Small business says this is what I want, what can you build me when you figure it out?

Then comes the hard choices, buying what's needed or finding what's on hand to make it work?

An asphalt coating tank out of Aluminum sounds like someone is sold on the idea of shiny metal bling? What money doesn't buy when an idea or a notion finds a way to spend it. Doesn't carbon steel construction and silver paint seem more suitable for the purpose or is it off the table with a need for Aluminum bling being displayed?

Comment

Drawings? What are those. I thought I'm supposed to be some kind of mind reader. I dont think its about bling, if you've ever worked around asphalt you know its messy gooey stuff that gets on everything. He mentioned lifting the tank out of the truck when it was empty so Im guessing thats why the aluminum. He said they used to put a crow bar in the tank opening for carrying it. I told him I could put on some lifting lugs or handles.

I think I either have to go with a plastic lid or make my own.

Miller extreme 12vs
                    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                      I don't disagree about what the sun or a construction worker with a hammer can do to a plastic lId. Even the toughest plastic has boundaries. But by the sounds of it, his customer wants a nice tank but doesn't want to spend much and that includes the lid.

Water tanks on fire trucks are plastic. I think our trucks get worked pretty hard and we have very little trouble with them. The lids are also plastic and exposed to the sun, but we keep maniacs with hammers away from them.

I do have some stainless left, need some? Make a better lid than plastic, that's for sure.
                      Sheesh I'm getting retarted
                      for some stupid reason I had it in my head Ryan was making this instead of Willvis !?!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Probably just didn't have your coffee yet.

Comment

Don't do anything without coffee lol

Miller extreme 12vs
                          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

I agree. Coffee is the blood of life.

Comment

So Willvis...you building a tank, a lid, or drinking coffee thinking about it? I had a vision past a square cornered block to something with a more radiused corner, and thought, yea...that's going to look nice out of aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                              X