Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    What are the couple of other things wrong? Just replace the capacitor and let er rip. But you need to replace the capacitor, probably costs too much to pay someone else to do it.

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied
    Update-took the welder to the LWS and the capacitor is shot. Needs a couple other things too. Price of parts plus labor is close to what I paid for the machine. I've decided to 1-get a Miller 211. 2-offer the 172 to someone at work, if he pays for the repair or pays me back he will have a welder. Thanks for all the suggestions you guys gave me.
    Last edited by breavis; 05-29-2019, 08:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied
    I'll try these suggestions tomorrow and take a picture. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Well, sumnthin's definitely screwed.

3 possibls in play.

Voltage,
    Wire speed
    Gas flow.

Voltage is pretty easy to check with even a cheap meter. Flip the roller up on the drive and meter the voltage going to the gun.

Wire speed Re-engage the roller, set the I/s and pull the trigger for 5 seconds. Measure the wire laying on the floor, and confirm the feed rate is correct. Flip the roller back up and rewind the wire wiping it as you wind.

Next put the roller back down and do not engage the tensioner. Use thumb & 1 finger on the wire leaving the gun and pull 5-10 feet of wire out gently. The pull should be absolutely smooth with even drag all the way.

Gas flow- flip the roller up, grab a bucket with some water in it, stick the end of the gun in the water and pull the trigger for 10 seconds observing the bubbles.

IF speed and gas are good, engage roller and monitor voltage as you burn wire against something to see if you have fluctuation as the machine delivers an arc.

PS: I still got 53¢ says the liner is screwing the wire delivery up, or the neck of the gun. Seen it before and it was the liner. Only way to prove or disprove liner is to replace it.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Originally posted by breavis View Post
    Well I tried blowing out the liner, changing tips and nozzles, adjusted the gas flow, still not better. In fact I ran a couple beads with .030 wire and more of the same. The top bead is voltage #3 all beads on 50 wire feed speed. The rest are on voltage #2. I really think there is something inside the machine causing this.
    I'm quite inclined to agree it's not you, but keep in mind, those of us quarter backing from the side lines can only go by what you tell us. Show us? Pictures show something amiss. So...you suspect something inside, you willing too open it up and have a look?

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied
    Both

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Are you adjusting your wfs or just the voltage?

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied
    Well I tried blowing out the liner, changing tips and nozzles, adjusted the gas flow, still not better. In fact I ran a couple beads with .030 wire and more of the same. The top bead is voltage #3 all beads on 50 wire feed speed. The rest are on voltage #2. I really think there is something inside the machine causing this.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Presuming you're employing a good .023 tip, my next suspicion - Possible lineritus disease.
    With the tip removed squirt out 5-10 feet of wire and inspect the wire for damage. Liner issues that won't bother .030 will cause nightmares with .023.
    Are there kinks or sharp bends in the liner?

Food rule of thumb in troubleshooting is to first inspect/suspect the component closest to where the problem displays and work uphill from there till you find it.

Back the wire out, pull the tip and blow the liner out with dry compressed air.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Originally posted by breavis View Post
    I'll try turning up the gas flow, then try the 1 voltage suggestion. Thanks for all the help!
    Looking at your picture again, assuming an increase in gas coverage doesn't solve the problem, and the small effort required to check voltage taps and WFS stepping doesn't identify a possible WFS issue, post a picture of the guns contact tip, and nozzle.
    Is the tip recessed, flush or slightly extended? Worn oval on the end? I'm trying to stay on the simple and easy check while side stepping the possibility of something worse going on.
    You doing it right suggests something else is causing the problem. #3 says, your probably doing it right so??? Looking at the starts of #2 and #3 suggests something is amiss although #3 pulls it together?

Anyways, If an increase in gas coverage doesn't fix the problem, all hope is lost.

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied
    I'll try turning up the gas flow, then try the 1 voltage suggestion. Thanks for all the help!

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_37736.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	596940 Blown up and enlarged my next suggestion would be regarding shielding gas or lack of due to the splatter, porosity and browning smoke along the edges?
    It could be a drop in gas pressure? Gas regulator malfunction? Not enough gas shielding coverage? Low cylinder pressure? Lacking shielding due to long stick out, gas blown away, or a solenoid not opening fully?

You have to rule out what it might be and to do that you have to try different things to prove or confirm things are working as they should. I'm going to guess, and guess it will be, it's not you it's a cheap preset regulator gauge malfunctioning? Increase gas pressure and see if it fixes the problem, or weld with less stick out to ensure better gas coverage. The 3/8" (+/-) you mentioned, try maybe 1/4" (+/-).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5239.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	596941 I also noticed the WFS you mentioned, in a edited after thought, seems high to me? Do a few welds on the "one" voltage setting, WFS @ 20,30,40. Post a few pictures and see what's discovered?
    Last edited by Noel; 05-03-2019, 10:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied
    The top bead is voltage #3 50 wire feed speed, the middle bead is voltage#2 70 wire feed speed, that's where I'm having trouble. The bottom bead is voltage #4 50 wire feed speed, ran good but too hot for 16 gauge!

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• breavis
    replied
    Did a couple of beads today. I'm having trouble uploading pictures IlI' try later but using .023 wire voltage #2 was more of the same. #3 was ok #4 did very good. I also ran beads with .030, #2 wasn't bad, #3 was good. I'm thinking there is a problem with the switch or something in the machine. Sometimes I run into this, sometimes this doesn't happen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X