No announcement yet.

.023 wire troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I tried blowing out the liner, changing tips and nozzles, adjusted the gas flow, still not better. In fact I ran a couple beads with .030 wire and more of the same. The top bead is voltage #3 all beads on 50 wire feed speed. The rest are on voltage #2. I really think there is something inside the machine causing this.

Comment

Are you adjusting your wfs or just the voltage?

Comment

Both

Comment

Originally posted by breavis View Post
          Well I tried blowing out the liner, changing tips and nozzles, adjusted the gas flow, still not better. In fact I ran a couple beads with .030 wire and more of the same. The top bead is voltage #3 all beads on 50 wire feed speed. The rest are on voltage #2. I really think there is something inside the machine causing this.
          I'm quite inclined to agree it's not you, but keep in mind, those of us quarter backing from the side lines can only go by what you tell us. Show us? Pictures show something amiss. So...you suspect something inside, you willing too open it up and have a look?

Comment

Well, sumnthin's definitely screwed.

3 possibls in play.

Voltage,
            Wire speed
            Gas flow.

Voltage is pretty easy to check with even a cheap meter. Flip the roller up on the drive and meter the voltage going to the gun.

Wire speed Re-engage the roller, set the I/s and pull the trigger for 5 seconds. Measure the wire laying on the floor, and confirm the feed rate is correct. Flip the roller back up and rewind the wire wiping it as you wind.

Next put the roller back down and do not engage the tensioner. Use thumb & 1 finger on the wire leaving the gun and pull 5-10 feet of wire out gently. The pull should be absolutely smooth with even drag all the way.

Gas flow- flip the roller up, grab a bucket with some water in it, stick the end of the gun in the water and pull the trigger for 10 seconds observing the bubbles.

IF speed and gas are good, engage roller and monitor voltage as you burn wire against something to see if you have fluctuation as the machine delivers an arc.

PS: I still got 53¢ says the liner is screwing the wire delivery up, or the neck of the gun. Seen it before and it was the liner. Only way to prove or disprove liner is to replace it.

Comment

I'll try these suggestions tomorrow and take a picture. Thanks!

Comment

Update-took the welder to the LWS and the capacitor is shot. Needs a couple other things too. Price of parts plus labor is close to what I paid for the machine. I've decided to 1-get a Miller 211. 2-offer the 172 to someone at work, if he pays for the repair or pays me back he will have a welder. Thanks for all the suggestions you guys gave me.
                Last edited by breavis; 05-29-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

What are the couple of other things wrong? Just replace the capacitor and let er rip. But you need to replace the capacitor, probably costs too much to pay someone else to do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X