Thunderbolt 235/150 not working right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbolt 235/150 not working right

I have a thunderbolt I bought used last 2 years ago worked great. Was welding last week and finished up for the night next day it wouldn't strike an arc. It will only arc on the high AC setting of the polarity selector. I dont see any loose wires. What do I need to look at?

I have never heard of a thunderbolt failing. First, check your mains, then check your leads. Start simple and eliminate that stuff first. And really check those things, don't just assume they're fine because they worked last time.

Comment

Yea I picked up a new stinger. The one I had was pretty rough. I'll get it swapped and try some more. It just had me puzzled that it would arc on the high AC setting but none of the other ones

Comment

Check the mains too.

Comment

Friend of mine had an older TBolt. He burned the diode or diodes out of it when he over ran the duty cycle while dc welding.
          If your machine welds on AC but not DC, it might be something to look into.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by wvuarmyeng View Post
            I have a thunderbolt I bought used last 2 years ago worked great. Was welding last week and finished up for the night next day it wouldn't strike an arc. It will only arc on the high AC setting of the polarity selector. I dont see any loose wires. What do I need to look at?
            I'm curious on the model # ? Were you welding with AC or DC at the time? What rod and size? No idea just curious?

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
              Friend of mine had an older TBolt. He burned the diode or diodes out of it when he over ran the duty cycle while dc welding.
              If your machine welds on AC but not DC, it might be something to look into.
              Yea that's what I was getting from reading it was the diodessince it would welding on the ac setting. I have my mog running so once this project is done I'll get back to messing with it

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post

I'm curious on the model # ? Were you welding with AC or DC at the time? What rod and size? No idea just curious?
                I was on AC and pretty sure I finished the night on DC. I was messing around with some rods I had. I was using both 3/32 and 1/8 7018 and some 6011 I think that day.

Guess the thunderbolt doesn't have a thermal overload. Oops my bad

Comment

I was on AC and pretty sure I finished the night on DC. I was messing around with some rods I had. I was using both 3/32 and 1/8 7018 and some 6011 I think that day.

Guess the thunderbolt doesn't have a thermal overload. Oops my bad
                  Sounds like you both were having some fun and one over did it? It happens. If sleeping it off with some rest doesn't fix the problem, let us know what does?

Comment

If it is indeed burned diodes, they usually just need replacing and it should work fine again.
                    Lincoln Idealarc 250
                    Miller Bobcat 250
                    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Serial # kk051462
                      stock # 903642

Comment

I havent has time to test diodes yet. I'm also a beekeeper and it's a tad busy this time of the year. I need more hours in a day or just learn to live on way less sleep

Comment

Coffee and anger. That's what keeps me going.

Comment

Serial # kk051462
                            stock # 903642
                            https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O316G_MIL.pdf

Hopefully you will find it to be the seemingly easy fix of replacing diodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjW5EyXs6YA

Comment

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O316G_MIL.pdf

Hopefully you will find it to be the seemingly easy fix of replacing diodes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjW5EyXs6YA
                              Yea I have both of those just trying to find the part numbe .
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X