Hydrofluoric Acid-WARNING

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrofluoric Acid-WARNING

"This extremely corrosive acid is formed when certain types of synthetic rubber, found in some O-rings,oil seals, fuel hoses etc. are exposed to temperatures above 750 degrees F (400 degrees C). The rubber changes into a charred or sticky substance containing the acid. Once formed the acid remains dangerous for years. If it gets onto the skin, it may be necessary to amputate the limb concerned.
    When dealing with a vehicle which has suffered a fire, or with components salvaged from such a vehicle, wear protective gloves and discard them after use."

The above is a quote from a Chilton's manual. I had never heard of this, Perhaps others are also blissfully unaware.

---Meltedmetal
    ---Meltedmetal

It also is used to etch glass since HF Acid dissolves glass.

Comment

HF Acid is also used and highly regulated in oil refineries. It used to bump up the octane in gasoline since lead was outlawed. It seeks calcium in bones and it will go to your heart. It won't kill you today but a few days. Inhaling fumes in your lungs is real bad also. I had 10 years of use and training updates every year...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Meltedmetal, thanks for posting. I knew how nasty HF acid was, but did not know you could find it in a burnt car. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          HF Acid is also used and highly regulated in oil refineries. It used to bump up the octane in gasoline since lead was outlawed. It seeks calcium in bones and it will go to your heart. It won't kill you today but a few days. Inhaling fumes in your lungs is real bad also. I had 10 years of use and training updates every year...Bob
          Don't you just love having to go work in the alcky unit? NOT!!
          www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
          Miller extreme 12vs
          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
          Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Yup... I checked the box, was
            blissfully unaware.

Comment

Originally posted by Willvis View Post

Don't you just love having to go work in the alcky unit? NOT!!
              Nope. The smell is terrible...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I've burned up a few seals and O-rings in the course of what I've done and it never occurred to me that the black sticky mess could be more than a mess. Guess I'll be more careful in the future.

---Meltedmetal
                ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Working...
                X