X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellaireroad
    started a topic outside corner downhill

outside corner downhill

Not sure what I’m doing wrong here. This position gives me fits. The problem is I can see arc and puddle, but everything else is total black, no way can I see where I’m going. I’m holding the gun horizontally with the tip perpendicular/slightly up, and pulling down,

I know this probably has to do with head position, but I can’t seem to find the sweet spot

Don’t have this problem with other positions, like if I’m welding the outside corner flat or horizontally, instead of downhill, the world is spinning on greased grooves

Any tips on head position to see better?

• Bls repair
    replied
    Glad to help.

Leave a comment:

• Bellaireroad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bls repair View Post
    I like off hand side under or even of weld.
    Thanks, that seems to work pretty good, plus angling the gun straight in or even 5 degrees down makes it easy to see
    Last edited by Bellaireroad; 04-13-2019, 04:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bls repair
    replied
    I like off hand side under or even of weld.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    If you aligned a robot too weld that joint you wouldn't have that problem would you? Actually you might? But set up properly, it would do the same joint over and over again.

So what's the problem that you seem to struggle with? Is it really seeing that's the issue or is it what your doing, and how your doing it? CJP... they all had it but not al survived the test.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 2011 160.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	596504

Name:	Jan 2011 086.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	596505

And space shuttle titles are glued.

Name:	Jan 2011 117.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	596506
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    The heat tiles are ceramic, so you may as well close your eyes and hope for the best when you try welding them....which it seems you're pretty good at....

....and I think you might be onto something with that standing on your head changes the physics on planet earth thing....we should run with it. At least write a thesis and submit it to the AWS, what could they possibly say is wrong with that?

But then again, bagging the whole job and taking the hot chic to lunch is a pretty solid idea too.

Leave a comment:

• Bellaireroad
    replied
    Originally posted by Noel View Post

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_5606.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t49.3 KB ID:\t596481","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"596481","data-size":"medium"**[/ATTACH] You did say down right? Here's where I'd be looking from? Not bad drawing for an old guy lol.
    And I didn't see mention of thickness before? I put in a lot of down hill root passes, I'm not saying close your eyes and go to sleep I'm saying after awhile, it's not rocket science. What you do for 1/8" isn't going to be the same for 1/4" in all cases. How long is the length of corner? Are passes specified? You building a space shuttle or a table frame?

CJP... [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_0835.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t38.0 KB ID:\t596482","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"596482","data-size":"medium"**[/ATTACH] You can penetrate but it doesn't mean it's fused? The hard part is setting the parameters, followed by where the gun is pointed. After that it steady down without ins and outs of the gun. Just curious, 1/4" getting done in two or a single pass? And is the second up or down in progression if two passes are used?

Edit. How about posting a picture of what your doing?
    Thanks for the sketch, yes that’s what I’m trying to see...what angle are you looking from?
    and no, not building the actual space shuttle itself, just the heat tiles for it, so not reallly anything critical.

Leave a comment:

• Bellaireroad
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Nah man, you need to see where you're going. Don't just pull the trigger and hope for the best. If that was the case, Ray Charles could've been a weldor.

I'm still a bit miffed as to why you can see your other welds, it's just this position that's giving you trouble. It has to be your head or body position.

I'd say try standing on your head before you try welding by "feel".
    If I stand on my head and weld it, would it then be vertical up?

Leave a comment:

• Bellaireroad
    replied
    Originally posted by Franz© View Post
    Clean or replace the front window
    Get about 18" square of black cloth
    Hunt up hot babe in garage roof jeans to stand behind you and keep light and reflections out of your helmet.
    If that don't change the picture go to lunch with the babe and forget about outside corners.
    If you're really lucky the babe can run outside corners and will show toy how to do it.

If married do not mention the babe to your wife at home.
    Now this is a man who knows how to weld. We actually have a girl in the shop just like this. But all she ever wears are these tiny shorts that barely cover anything. She never wears jeans, so I guess it wouldn’t work. Well darn it!
    Last edited by Bellaireroad; 04-12-2019, 01:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellaireroad View Post

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":596474**[/ATTACH]
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5606.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	596481 You did say down right? Here's where I'd be looking from? Not bad drawing for an old guy lol.
    And I didn't see mention of thickness before? I put in a lot of down hill root passes, I'm not saying close your eyes and go to sleep I'm saying after awhile, it's not rocket science. What you do for 1/8" isn't going to be the same for 1/4" in all cases. How long is the length of corner? Are passes specified? You building a space shuttle or a table frame?

CJP... Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0835.JPG Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	596482 You can penetrate but it doesn't mean it's fused? The hard part is setting the parameters, followed by where the gun is pointed. After that it steady down without ins and outs of the gun. Just curious, 1/4" getting done in two or a single pass? And is the second up or down in progression if two passes are used?

Edit. How about posting a picture of what your doing?
    Last edited by Noel; 04-11-2019, 11:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Franz©
    replied
    Clean or replace the front window
    Get about 18" square of black cloth
    Hunt up hot babe in garage roof jeans to stand behind you and keep light and reflections out of your helmet.
    If that don't change the picture go to lunch with the babe and forget about outside corners.
    If you're really lucky the babe can run outside corners and will show toy how to do it.

If married do not mention the babe to your wife at home.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Nah man, you need to see where you're going. Don't just pull the trigger and hope for the best. If that was the case, Ray Charles could've been a weldor.

I'm still a bit miffed as to why you can see your other welds, it's just this position that's giving you trouble. It has to be your head or body position.

I'd say try standing on your head before you try welding by "feel".

Leave a comment:

• Bellaireroad
    replied
    Using cold roll with fresh cut edges, No joint prep. Coupon size ranges from 1/8 to 1/4

Leave a comment:

• Bellaireroad
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
    What's the joint and joint prep? How physically big is it? I'm not picturing how it's not visible for you.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Name:	4B2A2D97-F3E9-433C-8816-97F6BDDCE14B.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	596474
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bellaireroad
    replied
    Originally posted by Noel View Post
    If you were a Star Wars fan I'd say trust the force Luke.

That said, If the machine is set to weld properly, not seeing it isn't as big a problem as you might think. Speed of travel is. Think of it this way... before you start you will divide the joint angle centering the gun. Start at the top and work down, again, speed of travel. You didn't mention the size of weld, or the filling required but if you catch the sides uniformly, your progressing down, speed of travel. Standing directly in front, as I suspect you are, the wire is your site, but it blocks your view, center it between the sides and again, speed of travel down. You mention not seeing the center, well, head off to the side, you should again hold a gun position to divide the joint, now see the back of the weld, edges on the side, and the "crack" below, and if the gun remains consistent, speed of travel down.
    Sometimes the "crack", seam, isn't apparent, high light it with a soap stone line, scratch it brighter with an awl, or a lighter shade of lens to look through in the helmet.

All in, position the gun to the joint and with out a helmet, find what position allows for a good view and keep your head there. The trick again is hold the gun, electrode, torch to remain steady and move consistently, again, speed of travel.
    Ha ha, I like Star Wars but I don’t walk around with a light saber..Maybe I should. What I’m taking from this is to not worry about seeing where you’re going, but to get the wire lined up to center, pull straight down with a travel speed that will fill the crack, and trust your mind’s eye that all goes well?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X