Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willvis
    replied
    Put new clear lenses in your helmet. You may be pleasantly suprised even if they look clean right now

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    What's the joint and joint prep? How physically big is it? I'm not picturing how it's not visible for you.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    If you were a Star Wars fan I'd say trust the force Luke.

That said, If the machine is set to weld properly, not seeing it isn't as big a problem as you might think. Speed of travel is. Think of it this way... before you start you will divide the joint angle centering the gun. Start at the top and work down, again, speed of travel. You didn't mention the size of weld, or the filling required but if you catch the sides uniformly, your progressing down, speed of travel. Standing directly in front, as I suspect you are, the wire is your site, but it blocks your view, center it between the sides and again, speed of travel down. You mention not seeing the center, well, head off to the side, you should again hold a gun position to divide the joint, now see the back of the weld, edges on the side, and the "crack" below, and if the gun remains consistent, speed of travel down.
    Sometimes the "crack", seam, isn't apparent, high light it with a soap stone line, scratch it brighter with an awl, or a lighter shade of lens to look through in the helmet.

All in, position the gun to the joint and with out a helmet, find what position allows for a good view and keep your head there. The trick again is hold the gun, electrode, torch to remain steady and move consistently, again, speed of travel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X