Welding machine brand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding machine brand

I’m a newly certified welder in MIG. I’m looking for some advice on the best welding brand. Which brand of welding machine should I invest in? Also, where are the best place to buy welding machines? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jack, welcome the the forum
    You didn't provide a location in your profile so I'll assume it's the US.

Miller and Lincoln top the charts with ESAB making great strides.

Which is the best is a matter of opinion, for me and the shops I've worked at it been primarily blue
    Richard

Comment

Stick with a name brand such as Miller, Lincoln, etc. Not only are they good quality you will be able to get parts and support for many years down the road. Off brands it can be a nightmare to get parts or service especially in a few years.

Cheapest prices you will usually find by internet shopping but your LWS is always good to make friends with and they will usually get close to internet pricing if asked. It is always in your best interest to try to use them if they are good people as you will need shielding gas and other supplies from them.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by JackMurphy View Post
        I’m a newly certified welder in MIG. I’m looking for some advice on the best welding brand. Which brand of welding machine should I invest in? Also, where are the best place to buy welding machines? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
        Glad you asked,it depends on your interpretation of "invest"
        If you simply mean buying a small portable wire welder, then the choices are overwhelming.
        If you mean a powerful 250+ amperage machine like a professional welder would use for life...I use only Miller products.
        You invested in your knowledge a great deal, so doing the same with your equipment only makes sense as well in my opinion.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

May I recommend Millermatic 252 or 255 or the Multimatic 255 these are good machines.

I have a 252 and a XMT 350 MPa in my shop. The 252 is the go to machine for my guys, I'm the only one that uses the XMT. Maybe it's the set up time they don't like.
          Good Luck,
          Bob
          Millermatic 252 w/30A
          Big Blue Air Pak
          Ellis 3000 Band Saw
          Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
          8-RC
          Dynasty 200 DX
          XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
          Millermatic 211
          Passport Plus
          Spectrum 625 X-TREME
          Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
          2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
          SA-200 Black Face '59
          SA-200 Green Lite '84
          SA-200 Green Lite '80
          SA-200 Red Face '69
          SA-200 Red Face '66
          SA-200 Green Lite '81
          '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

apparently they didn't use any brand name welding machines at his school ??

Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Always seemed to me you pick the machine based on what you intend to weld with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackMurphy View Post
                I'm kind of curious about being a certified welder in MIG? Which certification did you receive? What kind of test?
                This notion may sound kind of crazy but why buy a machine? I mention that because doesn't certification mean a job that provides a welder? Anyways, your not buying to invest. Spend money on, I'll go there. As Franz mentioned, depends on what your going to do with it? Get lots of practice at work you may not want to do it at home? Other wise it's not earning interest, saving a buck or making one. Just sits there.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1
                  apparently they didn't use any brand name welding machines at his school ??
                  Cut backs you see, the school probably had to buy some sort of classroom air temperature monitoring device as demanded by the teachers union.

Comment

Or it could be the school system had put together a program with old used donated equipment, with a low budget, in a broke community in the hopes it translated to an opportunity for a student? Weld quality doesn't always improve with expensive.

Studies show air temperature has an effect on the learning environment.

https://www.screenflex.com/classroom...fect-students/

Comment

Of course it does, especially if a study says so. Anything that has a study done on it must be true.

Comment

No...attaching a study doesn't make it true, but it beats the heck out of a guess or an assumption in my books? Add in that occupation injuries rise in extreme cold or excessive heat, and trade unions support efforts to improve conditions... A class room should be a place where learning is enhanced not distracted from with sweating kids or chattering teeth.

Comment

Anybody know where I can get a grant to do a study of the inside of my eyelids? I'll need a new recliner, and a nice pillow and a blankie might be nice. I don't have a thermostat with remote and once I get all reclined I might not be inclined to jump up and change the thermostat. Of course changing the thermostat won't do diddle since I disconnected it and replaced it with a switch to make the little woman happy.

I can double down and do a study of women and thermostats in a single recline.

I'm highly qualified cause I say I am.

Comment

I'm going to quantify an opposition to everyone else's position with a google search from this point on because I just did a study, and it revealed that if you post stuff on the internet, then it has to be true, it's a law.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              I'm going to quantify an opposition to everyone else's position with a google search from this point on because I just did a study, and it revealed that if you post stuff on the internet, then it has to be true, it's a law.
                              Now you're just being silly, of course it doesn't have to be true, but you gotta admit it has a lot more credibility.

If you really want to be contrary, try a Yahoo search instead
                              Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X