Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flux Core wire usage in a MultiMatic 215

Hi Guys,
    I have a year old Miller Multimatic 215 and was given a new 10 lb roll of Hobart .030 Flux Core wire. I already use my welder quite well with solid MIG wire .030 and .035 running the CO2/Argon gas mixture. The gasless Flux Core wire has a lot of spatter when using it and is harder to control. Can I use the CO2/Argon gas when welding with the Flux Core wire to get a better weld with minimum spatter? If I switch the weld setting from Flux Cored to MIG Steel C25 will the gas flow properly through the MIG gun and shield the weld on the Flux Core wire? I was curious if the gas will work to shield the Flux Core as well as the solid MIG wire. Otherwise the new roll will just become baling wire for me. I know the Flux Core is for outdoor use and the solid wire is better in the indoors.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by RWhite; 04-04-2019, 12:22 PM.

You need to change the polarity no gas needed

Comment

Originally posted by RWhite View Post
      Hi Guys,
      I have a year old Miller Multimatic 215 and was given a new 10 lb roll of Hobart .030 Flux Core wire. I already use my welder quite well with solid MIG wire .030 and .035 running the CO2/Argon gas mixture. The gasless Flux Core wire has a lot of spatter when using it and is harder to control. Can I use the CO2/Argon gas when welding with the Flux Core wire to get a better weld with minimum spatter? If I switch the weld setting from Flux Cored to MIG Steel C25 will the gas flow properly through the MIG gun and shield the weld on the Flux Core wire? I was curious if the gas will work to shield the Flux Core as well as the solid MIG wire. Otherwise the new roll will just become baling wire for me. I know the Flux Core is for outdoor use and the solid wire is better in the indoors.
      Thank you.
      Oh boy...someone is going to learn something.
      Before I give a reply, what's the AWS number on the spool or the Hobart branding?
      To answer your question, you could. Not with out noticeable effect however.
      The splatter issue, while not unavoidable can be reduced thru welding parameters, and understanding how to apply them. As well, depending on the wire classification, some wires are DCEN, some DCEP, and some meant for no shielding will react quite differently under a gas shielding calling for further refinement of parameters when welding.
      Some will argue it defeats the purpose of a self shielding wire?
      I say it's time to learn something. How about you amuse us and tell us what you discovered in doing so?

Comment

Short answer is no. Gasless flux core wire has constituents in the flux that require a standard atmosphere at the weld puddle to achieve the desired weld characteristics. Gasless flux cure is definitely very spattery, but remember that you need to increase the stickout as well to control the spatter. With 0.030" diameter, you should be no closer than 3/8" CTWD, with about 1/2-5/8" maximum. Play around with the WFS and voltage to find that sweet spot in conjunction with the CTWD, and I'm sure you'll find some uses for that wire.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
        HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I like flux core wire. It's a robust process. But like was stated in the first reply, make sure you're running he correct polarity for that wire, generally DCEN.

Comment

If the short answer is no, I'm waiting for the long answer of holy smokes yes you can. Show of hands... Who's actually tried?
            What? I'm the only one who raised a hand?
            What the heck is wrong with the education system?

Standard atmosphere is required? I disagree. But I've also been there and done that, tried this and tried that. For the record, I don't use a shielding gas with a self shielded wire. And if it doesn't matter, what would you set the CFH at?
            You'd discover the latter if you spend 10 to 15 minutes watching a high frequency current transfer with an increase or decrease in gas flow? Changing nozzle diameter, stick out, all with effect to be noticed.

But, the issue seemed to be splatter reduction concerns. To much voltage, long arc lengths?

"Can I use the CO2/Argon gas when welding with the Flux Core wire to get a better weld with minimum spatter?"
            Better weld is subjective, as far as splatter, post a picture to show what you're getting and we can advise further. Splatter should clean easily, if it doesn't it's telling you need to adjust something.

"
            If I switch the weld setting from Flux Cored to MIG Steel C25 will the gas flow properly through the MIG gun and shield the weld on the Flux Core wire?"
            Yes. Back and forth. Remember to put the nozzle on. I could be wrong but squeeze the trigger the solenoid opens, you don't want gas flowing close the cylinder valve.

"I was curious if the gas will work to shield the Flux Core as well as the solid MIG wire."
            Yes it will. But it will do so differently. The effect due in part to simply one wire being a solid, the other filled with flux.

If you boldly go where no man wants to go, post pictures.

Comment

If you have excessive spatter when using a self shielded flux core wire, adding a shielding gas is not the remedy.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                If you have excessive spatter when using a self shielded flux core wire, adding a shielding gas is not the remedy.
                Thank you Ryan.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...lectrodes.aspx
                HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
                HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  I agree. 100%...no argument.
                  But if you did, is it the end of the world as we know it? I don't think so. It's a step closer to a process improvement.

Buddy had 3 questions.

1)
                  Can I use the CO2/Argon gas when welding with the Flux Core wire to get a better weld with minimum spatter?
                  2) If I switch the weld setting from Flux Cored to MIG Steel C25 will the gas flow properly through the MIG gun and shield the weld on the Flux Core wire?
                  3) I was curious if the gas will work to shield the Flux Core as well as the solid MIG wire.

I want to be clear, as in crystal...your saying No?

Comment

1) No. "better weld" is what necessitates the answer to be a no, as per Lincoln article to get a sound weld deposit.
                    2) yes, but the question is wrong after the conjunction "and". the question is wrong because while it will shield the weld from the atmosphere (just like in normal MIG welding), that is something that should not be desired. Again, based on Lincoln's metallurgical knowledge of self-shielded flux core that is mentioned in the article I linked.
                    3) refer to 2) above. Shielding the arc/puddle from the atmosphere will occur, but that is not something that should be desired with self-shielded flux core, again as per Lincoln's metallurgical knowledge referenced in the article I linked.

Hopefully that is crystal-clear.
                    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                    HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
                    HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

I found my 1/2 roll of wire.
                      Loaded in, locked down and wire fed from the gun end of the machine, I'll turn the gas on. If everything grinds to a halt in the world tomorrow...guess the world just couldn't handle the truth?

Anyways...AWS 9th edition, Volume two, pages 226/227.

Comment

Back to you RWhite...check the polarity (the most common cause for what you describe), but don't try to fix a problem that doesn't exist by adding shielding gas. If you want to run dual shielded wire, get some, it's great stuff. Then you can run all the gas you want, because that dual shield eats up some gas.

Comment

I am not a big fan of self shield gasless wire at all. We had a good discussion abt 2002 on it. And I bought a spool to try out. I ran abt 1/2 the spool with and without gas. Not much difference. In fact I hated it so much I sold the rest of the spool on ebay for what I payed for the whole spool. Its just wasting gas with gasless wire. Now dual shield and gas I love it. Ran pallets full with my MM252 and my old 185 at home. But as Ryan says it likes its gas...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                            I found my 1/2 roll of wire.
                            Loaded in, locked down and wire fed from the gun end of the machine, I'll turn the gas on. If everything grinds to a halt in the world tomorrow...guess the world just couldn't handle the truth?

Anyways...AWS 9th edition, Volume two, pages 226/227.

I see nothing there about self shielded flux core (E71T-GS or E71T-11). The "FCAW" is more than likely dual shield flux core that they are referring to. I'll stick to Lincoln's recommendations 100%, and so should the OP. You can do what you want with your wire and gas.
                            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                            HTP ProPulse 200 MIG x2
                            HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

I see nothing there about self shielded flux core (E71T-GS or E71T-11). The "FCAW" is more than likely dual shield flux core that they are referring to. I'll stick to Lincoln's recommendations 100%, and so should the OP. You can do what you want with your wire and gas.

Well...with all due respect, you need to open a book and do some reading?

1st picture. I showed the wire. It's label reads self shielding. E71T-GS. The GS is the important part.

2nd picture. Shows the AWS classification description for that GS designator. Key phrase is other then tensile strength which is specified, all other requirement for this classification are not specified.

Pictures 3 and 4. It goes to explanation of these classifications and why things are specified.

You can stick with Lincoln's recommendations...100%. Beats the heck out of thinking for your self? I'll push forward and post the results.

Comment

Working...
                              X