X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franz©
    started a topic Help me out here,

Help me out here,

OK, I'll preface this with I'm an OLD guy; Perhaps that will enhance your viewpoint. I predate OSHA and EPA, and I rattle when I walk, but I still make it up and down stairs. I've been nailed to the Red Cross, Green Cross, White Cross, Blue Cross and accused of being able to get pregnant by Prudential Insurance, but I just don't understand people who want to claim they're weldors and don't know welder is a machine and weldor is the person who makes that machine more than a coffee table. I can even explain Adjectival nouns, but you'll remember it better if you look it up for yourself. I spent the better part of an hour last week watching a young fellow set a machine so he could weld 2 pieces together. Thing looked like it belonged on Starship Enterprize. I could and did make the same weld with an “antiquated boat anchor headed to China” faster than he could set the supermachine.

One of the things I don't understand is WHY anybody who doesn't have to satisfy OSHA or an insurance carrier or isn't production running the same job over and over buys a positioner for home use. In over 60 years of welding I've built a few positioners, and gladly sold or given them to anybody who wanted them as fast as I could.

Every positioner I was ever near boiled down to one of 2 things, a potter's wheel in the case of flat table positioners, or a concrete mixer frame in the case of multi position units. Either can be power driven at variable speed by a planetary drive copied from a snowblower, and most can be made out of everyday scrap pile supply. You build one, you learn a lot, and you don't have to work for the money to profit somebody else who built it.

Another thing I don't get is Tungsten sharpeners. You work as a TIG weldor in the field you learn to sharpen tungstens with a torch, cutting, O/A variety. AND you learn to weld, not make excuses. You don't have a torch, hold the angle grinder with your foot, use the inner part of the wheel and sharpen the tungsten. You can even clamp a grinder loosely in the rig vise. You use the vise trick you can also sharpen drills with the same setup. By the way, grinders come in 7 and 9 inch for right angle grinders, 8 inch for straight grinders, and anything smaller is a toenail tool for pedicurists.

I'm sure there are a whole lot more things young fellows need that I don't understand, and I'll be happy to hear about them, but it seems to me like welding is going the way of HAM radio.

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by tarry99 View Post

My 8 year old Grandson in the race shop.........first hit last weekend.........did pretty well and enjoys it.......want's to try TIG but well wait on that for a while.

That's awesome

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
    Now we are teaching the grandsons.:
    My 8 year old Grandson in the race shop.........first hit last weekend.........did pretty well and enjoys it.......want's to try TIG but well wait on that for a while.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Very true statement. In the fire service, certain manual labor skills and how-it-works knowledge that most of us "back then" had when we joined is missing in the younger guys. To help with that, we have a program our union puts on that takes the probies and young guys and get them involved with building and doing stuff. For example, we're currently building a dog playground in my backyard. That playground will then be disassembled and reassembled at the animal shelter. This is a no BS dog playground, let me tell you. And it's working with dead tree carcass, which is number three in my list of hates next to painting and drum brakes. But these kids, a lot of them, have never run a SKIL saw, have no idea what plum or square means, much less how to attain it. We do other things too, have gatherings and talk to the guys about power distribution and service drops and breaker panels....just a bunch of stuff they'd never done or seen. When someone needs repairs on their house, we take a couple of young guys with us so they learn a thing or three. Plus it gives us new meat to make fun of. Sure enough, some of them need something welded or fabbed from steel or aluminum. I'm happy to do it, provided they come help and hopefully learn a thing or three.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Heck in this Pu$$yA$$ society..... we are lucky ANYONE under 40 wants to weld anything by hand.
    I did my part. I taught all three of my sons my trade. Made them work with me. The watched me bleed, crawl, cuss, throw fits, go broke and then become somewhat successful. All together.
    Now we are teaching the grandsons. They may not know what they want to do, but I'll darn sure find out what they would rather not.
    When they leave they'll know what is dangerous and safe and who Jesus is

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Looks like most guys actually use a bench grinder to sharpen tungsten. I have and do, but generally I use the bench mount disc sander which I find does an excellent job. But if I can have a $100 tungsten grinder that's hand held and I can do the same thing only I don't have to walk to the other side of the shop to do it, I'm in for that. Anything to make me faster and/or better.

I'd love to have a positioner, but I don't really have a need for it. Every now and again I'd use it.

Used to be, the only side arm around was the revolver, I don't like much of anything about revolvers. Anyone remember the plastic pistol debate? The 1911 crowd just about had a stroke when the glocks hit the market. Now the Glock is pretty much the standard across the board. Seems like the fancy schmancy bells and whistle welders are the standard now too. Although I love my old junk.

Like we talked about in a previous thread, change for the sake of change is an irritant, but sometimes change is good. The manufacturers are pushing each other to make these advancements and the younger the workforce gets, the more advancements are expected.

And I love my iPhone, but I hate the newest ones, they're just so dadgum big. I thought technology was supposed to make them smaller?

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Well...(breathing deeply). Yea. The box, some what agree is now checked. I thought about it.
    Strongly Agree
    Slightly Agree
    Some What Agree
    Well...after that you just don't agree? I'm some what.
    But I have bought crap just because, so you won't hear me calling the kettle black?

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Welding Positioner and a Tungsten grinder.? I'm guilty of both and I am also old...............not cause I can't sharpen tungsten on a grinder as I have for decades......or because I can't weld around corners , but more so because I will buy into anything that helps me build the things I do more efficiently......I grew up around some pretty good welders.......including my Dad who never had anything more than a OXY/Gas torch or stick welder in his hands...........My other friends are all accomplished TIG welders and were always critiquing each others work.........so the bar can be quite high in some cases.........I like my tools.....they work for me!

Leave a comment:

• Willvis
    replied
    I dont see a question either. I'm not sure who or what your refering to but Im pretty sure most people would agree you don't need a positioner for home use. The only positioners ive uses are the ones for welding pipe. Ive used big electic one in shops rolling up to 36" pipe. I also have my own homemade hand spinner with a lathe chuck and it works great for welding pipe up to 8". Even with the setup time its generally faster then welding in position. There are times when I can / could weld out a joint in position faster aswell

Tungsten grinders.... Ya there a gimick pretty much. They may have some slight advantage for the guy welding titanium or something like that. Aside from the cost I just found them to **** slow. I could sharpen 10 tungstens with a cordless drill and bench grinder in the time it takes to sharpen one on the tungsten grinder. In the field I just carry one of those little plastic drill bit cases full on tungstens. Every once in a while I go to the bench grinder and sharpen them all up. Its what 99% of the tig welders ive worked with do aswell. Ya the grinder works in a pinch but it does make the grinding lines the wrong way and it does make a big difference.

Hmm what else? Well your old school... Nothing wrong with that but the world is changing and welding technology is changing as well. The speed and quality that large industrial facilities are built these days is nothing short of amazing. The majority of pipe spools now a days are being welded with stt roots and flux core or metal core fill and cap. If your a company that is doing that type of work but your still doing things the old way then your going to have a tough time competing with the guys that are using these new processes. Stick and tig are still the main processes used in the field. Hard to beat the portability of it but who knows what the future brings.

Believe me though, as far as the work goes I think you old guys had it better. With the safety and qc nazis now a days your constantly watching your back. To actually do your job and follow all the rules to the tee nothing would ever get done. So your basically f*cked if you do and f*cked if you dont. Follow all the rules and you'll probably be fired for lack of production. Dont follow the rules and you risk being fired for some ridiculous safety infraction. That stuff applies mostly to working in industrial plants.

Leave a comment:

• snoeproe
    replied
    Welder or weldor. I could care less. If I let little things like this constantly bother me, I’d get nothing done in life. It doesn’t effect how I work. You can surround yourself with negativity daily but it will do nothing but make you miserable. I’ve got no time for that.
    I like a 9” grinder for a few specific things but not for daily use. My arms can’t handle it.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 04-03-2019, 08:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    Originally posted by MMW View Post

Are the advertisers really doing an awesome job making them think it is a must have or are the younger generations just plain gullible? I don't know.
    Well, going up before the digital age you learn that things need to last because you don't throw them away and just replace them. However younger'ens
    didn't group up learning that, things happen quick, and having the newest model surely will bring satisfaction despite all other factors. They need to look here and there and be ready to jump at a moments notice.
    When I was young if I wanted information about a product I would cut out the mail in ad, fill out my information, mail it, and wait for the catalog or brochure to arrive in the mail, things have changed, some for the better and some...

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    I really don't see a question here but I'll read between the lines and answer you as best as I can. While not quite on the level of experience as you because I have yet to turn 60, I do notice the younger folks have a penchant for the newest gadgets whether needed or not. Take cell phones for instance, when a new model comes out after 6 months they need to have it. Doesn't matter that the old one works fine, just want the new one. Same goes for any appliance, device, gadget, etc.

Are the advertisers really doing an awesome job making them think it is a must have or are the younger generations just plain gullible? I don't know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X