Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop/Mobile welding

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

    Thanks.
    I felt I needed to say something to go along with all our warnings about the struggle.
    There's not much chance of me being able to stand a normal job. Not once you learn how to manage free will
    That's the biggest thing isn't it. I hope I never have to go back to working for someone else. Especially in industrial plants where you can't move a finger without breaking at least 10 "safety" rules
    www.silvercreekwelding.com

    Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
    Miller extreme 12vs
    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
    Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
      I've seen great welders who were poor business men. They stayed poor
      I welded on tractors, bulldozers, chairs, a helicopter, race cars, new construction, handrails etc.
      Steel, aluminum, cast iron and stainless.
      I was a machinist in the Army and had two automotive machine shops, a muffler shop and an auto parts store.
      Finding your specialty/niche is the main key to success if you can manage your money at the same time.
      Very well stated Fusion...........and from what I read , it pretty much says , "There are no Free Rides" until you pay your dues and work at a few careers gaining much knowledge along the way before success or direction will ever be within reach.......as success can't be bought , or chosen , nor does it come easily or quickly!...........

      Self Employment is a 24/7 job as there is always something to do..... Whether your a 1 man shop or have a few dozen employees the responsibility is similar but at different levels , Your going to miss some engagements or maybe your kids baseball practice and a few other things that your friends who have nothing well say "I would never do that" ............

      "Self employment is not for everyone" It may sound glamorous to some until you talk with them about needing to live off your bank account , or needing to work on a piece of broken equipment tonight that I need in the AM or Workers Comp rates or General or Excess liability insurance or a claims meeting where your next step in order to get paid may be to file a claim against the General contractors bond....or Regulations which amount to so many you need a ringed binder to manage them , so If you don't have any money saved or need a paycheck weekly or lack the desire to further educate yourself or the Drive to exceed , you probably need to stay where you are until you do......

      Not to say that you cannot have a little business on the side....while still working full time.........that works for many and can be a springboard eventually to Self Employment............

      Knowledge , creativity , problem solving & education in your field & Drive is what propels you beyond the competition and makes your phone ring while the competition sits Idle..........It's all about you & only you....and not your fancy Truck or shinny Equipment.........

      For all extensive purposes........People do business with people.......meaning if your not in-touch with your clientele or hearing what there saying or solving there problems.......your worth to them will drop like a bad habit! ...............It's a tough game , that requires the owner to be a leader & problem solver most of the time , a Missionary some times , compassionate other times , and a person that can interact with anyone in business as long as you can hold your own in your field of expertise......

      And the Rewards if successful can be many..........


      Been self employed most of my life , while also employed consulting w/ perks in a parallel field at the same time.....which I recently gave up the consulting portion after 32 years...people ask me when am I going to retire?.......and I always say I have been retired for decades , you just never noticed!


      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by tarry99 View Post

        Very well stated Fusion...........and from what I read , it pretty much says , "There are no Free Rides" until you pay your dues and work at a few careers gaining much knowledge along the way before success or direction will ever be within reach.......as success can't be bought , or chosen , nor does it come easily or quickly!...........

        Self Employment is a 24/7 job as there is always something to do..... Whether your a 1 man shop or have a few dozen employees the responsibility is similar but at different levels , Your going to miss some engagements or maybe your kids baseball practice and a few other things that your friends who have nothing well say "I would never do that" ............

        "Self employment is not for everyone" It may sound glamorous to some until you talk with them about needing to live off your bank account , or needing to work on a piece of broken equipment tonight that I need in the AM or Workers Comp rates or General or Excess liability insurance or a claims meeting where your next step in order to get paid may be to file a claim against the General contractors bond....or Regulations which amount to so many you need a ringed binder to manage them , so If you don't have any money saved or need a paycheck weekly or lack the desire to further educate yourself or the Drive to exceed , you probably need to stay where you are until you do......

        Not to say that you cannot have a little business on the side....while still working full time.........that works for many and can be a springboard eventually to Self Employment............

        Knowledge , creativity , problem solving & education in your field & Drive is what propels you beyond the competition and makes your phone ring while the competition sits Idle..........It's all about you & only you....and not your fancy Truck or shinny Equipment.........

        For all extensive purposes........People do business with people.......meaning if your not in-touch with your clientele or hearing what there saying or solving there problems.......your worth to them will drop like a bad habit! ...............It's a tough game , that requires the owner to be a leader & problem solver most of the time , a Missionary some times , compassionate other times , and a person that can interact with anyone in business as long as you can hold your own in your field of expertise......

        And the Rewards if successful can be many..........


        Been self employed most of my life , while also employed consulting w/ perks in a parallel field at the same time.....which I recently gave up the consulting portion after 32 years...people ask me when am I going to retire?.......and I always say I have been retired for decades , you just never noticed!

        Boy ain't that the truth!!
        The part about you and only you.....that pretty much nails it.
        There is no doubt as long as I have my reputation, I have a job.

        One of my favorite things I like to repeatedly rattle off to my people is about wisdom. You can't get it from books. There is a big difference between wisdom and knowledge. When I was much younger I always hung around the old guys in the shop. Later I even hired a few.
        I believe wisdom comes from making mistakes. learning what NOT to do...and hopefully being able to apply it down the path to rewards.
        I have a lot of scars. Some from play but mostly work. They don't hurt much. but they serve as reminders. I have made a few big mistakes financially as well. Taking too much risk at the wrong times. Timing, skill, money and risk all have to work together at some point to move forward in business.

        www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

        Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Willvis View Post

          That's the biggest thing isn't it. I hope I never have to go back to working for someone else. Especially in industrial plants where you can't move a finger without breaking at least 10 "safety" rules
          Boy I hear you. I try to make sure that the only person here who has to do something really dangerous is me. Once you get a good employee you want to keep them alive!


          www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

          Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

            Boy ain't that the truth!!
            The part about you and only you.....that pretty much nails it.
            There is no doubt as long as I have my reputation, I have a job.

            One of my favorite things I like to repeatedly rattle off to my people is about wisdom. You can't get it from books. There is a big difference between wisdom and knowledge. When I was much younger I always hung around the old guys in the shop. Later I even hired a few.
            I believe wisdom comes from making mistakes. learning what NOT to do...and hopefully being able to apply it down the path to rewards.
            I have a lot of scars. Some from play but mostly work. They don't hurt much. but they serve as reminders. I have made a few big mistakes financially as well. Taking too much risk at the wrong times. Timing, skill, money and risk all have to work together at some point to move forward in business.
            It sounds as if we have both been educated at the "School of hard knocks" and not to say that in a bad way either........as you have correctly stated.....education is wisdom and what you do with that rare commodity may very well unknowingly set your path in life dealing with the Risk vs Reward syndrome ..........

            As a young poor kid I was fortunate to have been exposed to many interesting things and career paths along with being around many individuals that on the surface seemed to be successful...although some of these older dudes were pretty crude and so it took some time to wade through the fodder and isolate what might really be of help to me............but as life transitions you quickly learn that success can have different meanings to some and come in many flavors.....it's navigating those ups & downs that put you in a better position to engage more so in the up's rather than the alternative.......

            I've had a good ride in the business world and the rewards have been many so no regrets......
            Last edited by tarry99; 04-11-2019, 09:52 AM.

            Comment

            Working...
            X