Finger brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willvis View Post

The brake would also be handy for making tool boxes and such.
    I made 7 of these tool boxes on a hand brake...Bob Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbox.png
Views:	192
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	595923Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbox2.png
Views:	151
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	595924
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Those looke awesome Bob
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

I thought you said you wanted a 3 sided box-ish thing?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          I thought you said you wanted a 3 sided box-ish thing?
          That threw me off also. He is making a complete box/pontoon. One pc will have a bottom and two sides. The second pc will have the top and two ends. This will complete a sealed box. Note- you should be able to get 60 x 144" (shear into three 20" strips) sheets to bend the top and ends as one pc. = less welding. However that may be difficult to bend by yourself as the pcs. would be long and flimsy.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

You can bend the 1st 90 but not the return 90..........no room.................. Yes on a hydraulic Press brake & much more versatile ..........but keep in mind going to .125 even in aluminum..........you'll be hard pressed to go full width ( 96" ) as the center will crown plus you'll need 2 people and some long extensions on the arms for leverage..........on .125 maybe out to 60" to get a sharp 90 degree on a box & Pan brake.......

For that price I would be looking around for a good used hydraulic Press brake..........maybe 60"-72" ...........of course moving it is another question........and whether or not you have 3 phase power..........also the dies are important and can get spendy........ especially if you go full width.......so not only is the machine important , the tooling that it comes with is equally important.

Comment

tarry99 wrote "You can bend the 1st 90 but not the return 90."

This is not true. You can bend both 90s on a box brake. He is talking about 20" in between bends so it will clear.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

You can bend narrow in a hand brake. Providing you have a crane and a heavy wide piece of steel. Bend it like a big W and push the center down...Bob
                Attached Files
                Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                  You can bend the 1st 90 but not the return 90..........no room.................. Yes on a hydraulic Press brake & much more versatile ..........but keep in mind going to .125 even in aluminum..........you'll be hard pressed to go full width ( 96" ) as the center will crown plus you'll need 2 people and some long extensions on the arms for leverage..........on .125 maybe out to 60" to get a sharp 90 degree on a box & Pan brake.......

For that price I would be looking around for a good used hydraulic Press brake..........maybe 60"-72" ...........of course moving it is another question........and whether or not you have 3 phase power..........also the dies are important and can get spendy........ especially if you go full width.......so not only is the machine important , the tooling that it comes with is equally important.
                  Im pretty sure it would be able to bend the part I drew but your comments about it being hard pressed to bend 1/8 is what worries me. I bought a Chinese roller that is supposed to roll 16 gauge mild steel full width. So I thought 14 gauge aluminum wasn't going to be a problem. Well I **** near killed myself trying to roll the first sheet. After that I put a hydraulic motor on the thing and now its easy but the sheets do crown a bit. I would say there's no way it would roll 16 gauge steel properly. So same deal with this finger brake maybe? The stuff from Taiwan (isn't that technically china?) seems to be a bit better quality then the Chinese stuff. One thing I was reading was to maybe do a bit of the bend then slide the sheet out a bit more and bend some more to get more of a radius and easier bend. That could get to be a pain in the ass and time consuming though. It does say he has some hydraulic rams to go with it but if the piece crowns then that's still not very good.

Miller extreme 12vs
                  Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                    tarry99 wrote "You can bend the 1st 90 but not the return 90."

This is not true. You can bend both 90s on a box brake. He is talking about 20" in between bends so it will clear.
                    Yes , if you have 20" from the bed to that center truss brace , but my eyes keep telling me there is not 20" from the bed to that center brace????.....

Comment

Originally posted by Willvis View Post

Im pretty sure it would be able to bend the part I drew but your comments about it being hard pressed to bend 1/8 is what worries me. So same deal with this finger brake maybe?
                      Yes on full 96" width............if you go down so say 72" or 60" wide it would at least mechanically be easier....

Comment

I want / need it to go full width. I guess I could get away with 6' and just weld a few more sections togethor. Im not as worried about how hard it would be to bend the piece as much as the strain on the machine. I could always hook my chain hoist on it to make it easier lol.

I found another one that is closer by aswell. Not a finger brake but Im not too worried about that. This one is a 10' brake but its rating is only 18 gauge. I realize by going less then full width I can up that a bit but will it handle 1/8 aluminum at 8' wide? It looks to be just as heavy built as the other one and this one is made in Canada. For that reason I feel it would be a better buy. They do have a 10' 16 gauge brake aswell but its a lot more money.

https://www.lenmark.com/product-page...​​​​

Miller extreme 12vs
                        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

On mechanical bending machines........as your finding out , thickness bending ability goes down as width increases.........Vs hydraulic presses as the tonnage goes up the bending capacity normally will also go up in most but not all cases..........takes a big machine to bend 1/8" steel 90 degrees at 96" ........although 1/8 " aluminum is a little easier it still requires an enormous force to get 90 degrees at 96"..........what grade of aluminum are you using?

Lot's of fabricators for that purpose send there bending out or buy the material from a vendor bent to there specs.....might be a consideration before buying something that doesn't have the capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                            On mechanical bending machines........as your finding out , thickness bending ability goes down as width increases.........Vs hydraulic presses as the tonnage goes up the bending capacity normally will also go up in most but not all cases..........takes a big machine to bend 1/8" steel 90 degrees at 96" ........although 1/8 " aluminum is a little easier it still requires an enormous force to get 90 degrees at 96"..........what grade of aluminum are you using?

Lot's of fabricators for that purpose send there bending out or buy the material from a vendor bent to there specs.....might be a consideration before buying something that doesn't have the capacity.
                            5052 H32 is mostly what I would be bending. Ya I think subbing it out is the way to go for now. Theres another fabricator not too far away that says he can do it and is just going to charge me hourly. I got a few quotes from a bigger company that does plate processing but their prices are too expensive. I think working something out with the other fabricator is the best way to go. Id have to make quite a few of these pontoon / docks to pay for even one of these small brakes. Its just a lot more convinient to be able to do it in house.

Miller extreme 12vs
                            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

50 Series aluminum would have been my choice also...........fortunately I have a close friend that has some pretty sophisticated sheet metal equipment.......and 2 -250 ton auto back gauge press brakes that are both 12' ..........I've always wanted to get a 4' Press Brake for here.....but space and the cost of tooling and getting moved has always stopped me......I have have access to his stuff but it's always set-up on production runs most of the time so I have to wait or come down there between shifts when there doing a change over and rush my stuff through.........That's Life! Good Luck on your Project!

Comment

Working...
                              X