Tungsten Sharpener

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten Sharpener

I was searching for an affordable tungsten sharpener and came across this, anyone have any experience or know anything about it? I use a tip dip product on my mig welder to help with spatter build up but don't know anything about this your input is greatly appreciated
    Weldmark Tungsten Sharpener - Chem-Sharp - WM600Tungsten Sharpener - 5ozChem-Sharp - WM600 provides the safest and most efficient cost effective means of sharpening tungsten. No grinding is needed. Over 500 sharpenings per jar. This chemical re-pointing e

This has been around for years, might be useful to someone is a certain situation, but I don't know what that situation would be...
    Richard

Comment

Bench grinder and a cordless drill to sharpen your tungsten. Cant get much cheaper then that and you get perfectly good points. Its also 10x faster then an expensive tungsten grinder.

Never used that etching stuff but I doupt it works well. Id rather not have a bunch of chemicals on my tungsten that are gonna get burned off when you strike an arc
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Thanks kinda makes sense with the chemicals etc. but keeping a consistent angle I suspect is critical, last night while searching I found several inexpensive heads that can go on a dremel tool that have the holes pre drilled so you get a consistent angle. I also found disposable tengestens as well, cheap enough to give them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Busted_Knuckles View Post
          keeping a consistent angle I suspect is critical
          Not really. Recomended is 2.5x tungsten diameter. Ive probably used anywhere from 1 to 4x diameter and it doesn't make a huge difference. A real sharp point is good if your doing thin stainless or something like that.

A cheap bench grinder can be bought for around 50 bucks probably. And you likely have a cordless drill kicking around. Throw your tungsten in the drill and sharpen on the bench grinder. You can get very consistent results. Ive welded thousands of x-ray joints with this method and its 10x faster then those stupid tungsten grinders.

Miller extreme 12vs
          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Well there's a time and place for all methods, although I believe you're right Willvis, if you're getting the job done then keep on "keepin on"
            Richard

Comment

There is no perfect tungsten angle for all applications. While the cordless drill and bench grinder is not the "preferred" method, I use it all the time, as many others here do. I actually use a table top disc sander to grind the General shape, then I use a pneumatic angle grinder to polish it up if I need to.

Most of the time it's fine, other times you want a polished needle point. Taking the time to polish that tip will make your next thin stainless job much happier.

A low current AC arc doesn't like all the jagged edges from a bench grinder, the arc will wander around a bit until you pour some foot pedal to it.

I also don't switch tungsten sizes a lot. If I'm working on thin stuff, I just dress down a larger tungsten rather than swap in a 1/16 or .040. I think the heavier tungsten is more stable too.

So unless you have need for only one point to your tungsten, spend you money on something a little more useful, like a nice set of drill bits, or a lathe, or a cnc mill, or a space shuttle...

Comment

"So unless you have need for only one point to your tungsten, spend you money on something a little more useful, like a nice set of drill bits, or a lathe, or a cnc mill, or a space shuttle..."

Duly noted and just when I was ready to buy my own space shuttle thanks

Comment

Perfect!

Comment

I set up a cheapo HFT bench grinder with diamond grit cabbing wheels for tungsten grinding, but I rarely use it anymore simply because it's at the far end of my shop and I'm usually in a hurry. Now I just use an angle grinder – I put a groove into the guard to hold the tungsten – and it seems to work just as well.

I also sharpen a dozen or more tungstens at once so I don't have to go back and forth to the grinder so often...when a tungsten gets goobered up, I just put it into the pile to be sharpened, and grab another pre-sharpened one...
                    Last edited by Helios; 03-25-2019, 02:57 AM.

Comment

I do mine by hand on my non-dedicated bench grinder. For general work you won't notice much difference. Smallest I use is 1/16", this is on a Syncrowave, maybe the new stuff (Dynasty, etc.) are different?
                      MM250
                      Trailblazer 250g
                      22a feeder
                      Lincoln ac/dc 225
                      Victor O/A
                      MM200 black face
                      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                      Arco roto-phase model M
                      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                      Miller spectrum 875
                      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                      Syncrowave 250
                      RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                        I do mine by hand on my non-dedicated bench grinder. For general work you won't notice much difference. Smallest I use is 1/16", this is on a Syncrowave, maybe the new stuff (Dynasty, etc.) are different?
                        Not really.
                        I use a dedicated little cordless drill and a Jancy belt sander with a 40 grit belt that grinds everything. Nobody is complaining on my end.
                        If you weld on your Space Shuttle....that is when you need the tungsten sharpener.
                        People who went ahead and bought the expensive sharpener will beg to differ.
                        Better to buy gas lenses and a variety of cups.
                        I use 1/8" for almost all I do on aluminum.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

Not really.
                          I use a dedicated little cordless drill and a Jancy belt sander with a 40 grit belt that grinds everything. Nobody is complaining on my end.
                          If you weld on your Space Shuttle....that is when you need the tungsten sharpener.
                          People who went ahead and bought the expensive sharpener will beg to differ.
                          Better to buy gas lenses and a variety of cups.
                          I use 1/8" for almost all I do on aluminum.
                          exactly! All that tungsten contamination mumbo jumbo is sillyness. When your welding space shuttles then ya get a tungsten sharpener. If it were nuclear? ya maybe. Everything else forget about it. Ive used 1/8 for everything I do the last 10 years. I find it easier to see the point when your sharpening. The smaller ones maybe focus a bit better on the thin stuff at low amps but that's where I just put more of a taper on my point and it seems fine. Saves having to switch gas lens and collet.

Miller extreme 12vs
                          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Yup and yup.

Comment

I have a harbor fright bench grinder with a diamond wheel on one side and a polishing wheel on the other. all from HF it was cheap and the diamond wheel has been doing the job for about 3 years now, still going strong. 90% of the time I don't polish the tungsten just a quick grind. Tungsten angle? what ever works for you is the right angle. I like 2 1/2 times dia. my son likes like 1 to 1 1/4 dia.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X