Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeronca41
    replied
    No need to apologize--you should have seen us all trying to post pics before the web site upgrade!

Leave a comment:

• Chrisheavymech
    replied
    Originally posted by Noel View Post
    Ok. let's do the math on this. Search till the cows come home (Time) to find a nice replacement plus cost of the replacement (money).
    What's time worth? Because with time you can make more money. Or get something done?
    If you don't have the time, you are forced to spend money.
    Cut it out (time), cover with a suitable material and attach, (money plus time). Or expend the effort to make a suitable pleasing repair, more time less money. Let's face it, you could kill a day heating those and reforming them into shape? You could spend days searching if you add up the time finding a replacement?

Now this isn't and shouldn't be overly thought unless you are restoring to perfection maybe, but if you were, your need is a replacement, or reproduction of one to save time and the effort. No brainer spend money.

If you have no time and no money, can't find replacement or reproduction...It's time to get creative.
    But if you didn't over think it, it's to provide ventilation, keep critters out, and leaves from collecting in. Maybe finger out as well?

Might I suggest, look at the open space if you cut the louvers out and ask the question, how much is opening and how do I intend to fill it. Perforated stainless sheet cut to size and riveted in place? Rods across tacked in place, ground down and painted? A panel with pre punched louvers welded in or as a cover?
    Time to rock and roll and do. Paint it blue and know one will know. Make it fancy, it's a feature.

That said, up the resolution on the pictures when you post your creative side. These were so low res. I couldn't judge the depth of repair. All I could conclude was yea, looks nasty. Rusty brown, probably bent and heavily pixelated.

I'm into plan "B" as an option. Go for the feature.
    I'm putting this together in my spare time. I'm already working a full time job so there's no rush to get it done. I just felt like asking around to see if anyone had a potential source for used/scrap parts. I've read a lot of great advice and I've considered several options if I don't turn up a suitable replacement. Also in regard to the pictures, I took them at 3:30 this morning and tries to post them and although it appears for my view O was informed they weren't visible to anyone else. So I had to download them and repost. My apologies I'm not very phone/interweb savvy
    Last edited by Chrisheavymech; 03-22-2019, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisheavymech
    replied
    I have a guy who makes truck tool boxes for me who can make a whole new piece for me but i wanted to try to find a good used one first as fabbing a new piece might cost me close to what I payed for the machine

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I don't know where you live, but most sheet metal shops will be able to make those louvers no problem. Might not be exactly like the old ones, but clearly miller thinks they need to have some sort of ventilation there. Take the old one in and say, "make this please."

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Ok. let's do the math on this. Search till the cows come home (Time) to find a nice replacement plus cost of the replacement (money).
    What's time worth? Because with time you can make more money. Or get something done?
    If you don't have the time, you are forced to spend money.
    Cut it out (time), cover with a suitable material and attach, (money plus time). Or expend the effort to make a suitable pleasing repair, more time less money. Let's face it, you could kill a day heating those and reforming them into shape? You could spend days searching if you add up the time finding a replacement?

Now this isn't and shouldn't be overly thought unless you are restoring to perfection maybe, but if you were, your need is a replacement, or reproduction of one to save time and the effort. No brainer spend money.

If you have no time and no money, can't find replacement or reproduction...It's time to get creative.
    But if you didn't over think it, it's to provide ventilation, keep critters out, and leaves from collecting in. Maybe finger out as well?

Might I suggest, look at the open space if you cut the louvers out and ask the question, how much is opening and how do I intend to fill it. Perforated stainless sheet cut to size and riveted in place? Rods across tacked in place, ground down and painted? A panel with pre punched louvers welded in or as a cover?
    Time to rock and roll and do. Paint it blue and know one will know. Make it fancy, it's a feature.

That said, up the resolution on the pictures when you post your creative side. These were so low res. I couldn't judge the depth of repair. All I could conclude was yea, looks nasty. Rusty brown, probably bent and heavily pixelated.

I'm into plan "B" as an option. Go for the feature.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    I'd agree--may be fixable but probably not worth the effort. Hope you can find a replacement.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisheavymech
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrisheavymech View Post
    Thank you folks, I've been trying to hammer and tweak it back into place but it has so many twists in it that I'm afraid I'm overworking the metal.
    The phrase "over working" is kind of a misnomer. You are discovering however the metals range in workability. While you can impart changes to the material from the work you attempt, including but not limited to hardness, internal stress, loss of ductility, you also have the ability to anneal, normalize or return temper to a degree in hardness.

Unless you heat the material, hammering and dolly work will only do so much. With out heat, you end up with compressing and squish, displacement of metal and further induced stress, usually some where else. Can it be over heated, yes. Over worked...in the same manor as beating the horse to get it to run faster by beating it harder, I guess so?

I'm sure you're making progress and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Pictures didn't show up; I just see red outline squares with a red dot in them.
    Isn't it a pain to have to work instead of doing what you would really rather be doing?

Leave a comment:

• Chrisheavymech
    replied
    Thank you folks, I've been trying to hammer and tweak it back into place but it has so many twists in it that I'm afraid I'm overworking the metal. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I started working on it but here's what it looks like now Sorry I didn't get them up last night, wound up working a double shift.
    Last edited by Chrisheavymech; 03-22-2019, 06:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrisheavymech View Post
    I have some before and current pictures but no step by steps, I'll figure out how to post them when I drag up for lunch. I actually got my front decal through them. What I'm looking for is the back panel on the machine. I'll post an image of it when I get home today.
    I'm thinking your referring to the louvers. If it was mine, I'd bring out some metal and shape a male and female to fit the louver. I'd bring out the torches, some hand tools and start bringing things back into shape. Some hammering, dolly work, a little light gas welding and some grinding, a bit more hammer and dolly...your the man.

Great effort so far, pictures told the story and done right, no one will know the troubles you've seen.

Leave a comment:

• tarry99
    replied
    Can't see what that panel looks like..........but I can tell you there is a ton of good sheet metal people out there in fab shows and race car shops that can make just about anything............just takes the tools and if you have a pattern , just that much easier!

Leave a comment:

• Chrisheavymech
    replied
    Thanks for the kudos

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Man, you are just a restorin', refurbin' machine! Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Chrisheavymech
    replied
    Freshened up the engine and generator, restored base pan and mounting channels, cleaned and lacquered the stabilizer and reactor, new face decal, accented the controls, stripped and painted all the tin ware you see, installed digital fuel gauge and sending unit, vibration dampeners on engine and genset mounts, wired remote fine control connection, and built remote box.
    Last edited by Chrisheavymech; 03-21-2019, 07:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X