No announcement yet.

Discontinued part!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. let's do the math on this. Search till the cows come home (Time) to find a nice replacement plus cost of the replacement (money).
    What's time worth? Because with time you can make more money. Or get something done?
    If you don't have the time, you are forced to spend money.
    Cut it out (time), cover with a suitable material and attach, (money plus time). Or expend the effort to make a suitable pleasing repair, more time less money. Let's face it, you could kill a day heating those and reforming them into shape? You could spend days searching if you add up the time finding a replacement?

Now this isn't and shouldn't be overly thought unless you are restoring to perfection maybe, but if you were, your need is a replacement, or reproduction of one to save time and the effort. No brainer spend money.

If you have no time and no money, can't find replacement or reproduction...It's time to get creative.
    But if you didn't over think it, it's to provide ventilation, keep critters out, and leaves from collecting in. Maybe finger out as well?

Might I suggest, look at the open space if you cut the louvers out and ask the question, how much is opening and how do I intend to fill it. Perforated stainless sheet cut to size and riveted in place? Rods across tacked in place, ground down and painted? A panel with pre punched louvers welded in or as a cover?
    Time to rock and roll and do. Paint it blue and know one will know. Make it fancy, it's a feature.

That said, up the resolution on the pictures when you post your creative side. These were so low res. I couldn't judge the depth of repair. All I could conclude was yea, looks nasty. Rusty brown, probably bent and heavily pixelated.

I'm into plan "B" as an option. Go for the feature.

Comment

I don't know where you live, but most sheet metal shops will be able to make those louvers no problem. Might not be exactly like the old ones, but clearly miller thinks they need to have some sort of ventilation there. Take the old one in and say, "make this please."

Comment

I have a guy who makes truck tool boxes for me who can make a whole new piece for me but i wanted to try to find a good used one first as fabbing a new piece might cost me close to what I payed for the machine

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
          Ok. let's do the math on this. Search till the cows come home (Time) to find a nice replacement plus cost of the replacement (money).
          What's time worth? Because with time you can make more money. Or get something done?
          If you don't have the time, you are forced to spend money.
          Cut it out (time), cover with a suitable material and attach, (money plus time). Or expend the effort to make a suitable pleasing repair, more time less money. Let's face it, you could kill a day heating those and reforming them into shape? You could spend days searching if you add up the time finding a replacement?

Now this isn't and shouldn't be overly thought unless you are restoring to perfection maybe, but if you were, your need is a replacement, or reproduction of one to save time and the effort. No brainer spend money.

If you have no time and no money, can't find replacement or reproduction...It's time to get creative.
          But if you didn't over think it, it's to provide ventilation, keep critters out, and leaves from collecting in. Maybe finger out as well?

Might I suggest, look at the open space if you cut the louvers out and ask the question, how much is opening and how do I intend to fill it. Perforated stainless sheet cut to size and riveted in place? Rods across tacked in place, ground down and painted? A panel with pre punched louvers welded in or as a cover?
          Time to rock and roll and do. Paint it blue and know one will know. Make it fancy, it's a feature.

That said, up the resolution on the pictures when you post your creative side. These were so low res. I couldn't judge the depth of repair. All I could conclude was yea, looks nasty. Rusty brown, probably bent and heavily pixelated.

I'm into plan "B" as an option. Go for the feature.
          I'm putting this together in my spare time. I'm already working a full time job so there's no rush to get it done. I just felt like asking around to see if anyone had a potential source for used/scrap parts. I've read a lot of great advice and I've considered several options if I don't turn up a suitable replacement. Also in regard to the pictures, I took them at 3:30 this morning and tries to post them and although it appears for my view O was informed they weren't visible to anyone else. So I had to download them and repost. My apologies I'm not very phone/interweb savvy
          Last edited by Chrisheavymech; 03-22-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

No need to apologize--you should have seen us all trying to post pics before the web site upgrade!

Comment

Working...
            X