Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discontinued part!

Good day to all!
    so I picked up a Miller Bobcat 225 NT at a local auction to start doing some sidework off of my own truck. It was beat up and dented and near 2k hours, but it looked like a decent enough place to start for doing smaller repair and fabrication jobs. It ran, and it welded.... but as I usually do I got carried away tuning it up and I scattered it across the garage down to replaceing rusted out sheet metal in the base pan. Now I've got everything back together, wired, modded, and running.... with the exception of the exterior tin panels...... I'm doing bodywork on the hood and side panels but my rear upper panel is beyound saving. Miller part number 182-365 is no longer available ANYWHERE!!! Long story long, I'm hoping one of the many people in the miller community can help me find a salvageable panel. My machine is a 98 with an Onan P216G and if Im not mistaken the onan powered Legends and the and Trailblazers used the same panel. If anyone has one to sell or knows of someone who might, I would be forever in your debt!

We need to see some pics of this project!

These guys have a lot of Miller face plates even though their website says Lincoln. I saw a Bobcat 225D NT, but not the gas version. I'd sure give 'em a call, though, and see if they can help you.

https://lincolncontrolplates.com/mil...control_plates
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I have some before and current pictures but no step by steps, I'll figure out how to post them when I drag up for lunch. I actually got my front decal through them. What I'm looking for is the back panel on the machine. I'll post an image of it when I get home today.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Freshened up the engine and generator, restored base pan and mounting channels, cleaned and lacquered the stabilizer and reactor, new face decal, accented the controls, stripped and painted all the tin ware you see, installed digital fuel gauge and sending unit, vibration dampeners on engine and genset mounts, wired remote fine control connection, and built remote box.
            Last edited by Chrisheavymech; 03-21-2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Man, you are just a restorin', refurbin' machine! Nice work!

Comment

Thanks for the kudos

Comment

Can't see what that panel looks like..........but I can tell you there is a ton of good sheet metal people out there in fab shows and race car shops that can make just about anything............just takes the tools and if you have a pattern , just that much easier!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisheavymech View Post
                    I have some before and current pictures but no step by steps, I'll figure out how to post them when I drag up for lunch. I actually got my front decal through them. What I'm looking for is the back panel on the machine. I'll post an image of it when I get home today.
                    I'm thinking your referring to the louvers. If it was mine, I'd bring out some metal and shape a male and female to fit the louver. I'd bring out the torches, some hand tools and start bringing things back into shape. Some hammering, dolly work, a little light gas welding and some grinding, a bit more hammer and dolly...your the man.

Great effort so far, pictures told the story and done right, no one will know the troubles you've seen.

Comment

Thank you folks, I've been trying to hammer and tweak it back into place but it has so many twists in it that I'm afraid I'm overworking the metal. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I started working on it but here's what it looks like now Sorry I didn't get them up last night, wound up working a double shift.
                      Last edited by Chrisheavymech; 03-22-2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Pictures didn't show up; I just see red outline squares with a red dot in them.
                        Isn't it a pain to have to work instead of doing what you would really rather be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisheavymech View Post
                          Thank you folks, I've been trying to hammer and tweak it back into place but it has so many twists in it that I'm afraid I'm overworking the metal.
                          The phrase "over working" is kind of a misnomer. You are discovering however the metals range in workability. While you can impart changes to the material from the work you attempt, including but not limited to hardness, internal stress, loss of ductility, you also have the ability to anneal, normalize or return temper to a degree in hardness.

Unless you heat the material, hammering and dolly work will only do so much. With out heat, you end up with compressing and squish, displacement of metal and further induced stress, usually some where else. Can it be over heated, yes. Over worked...in the same manor as beating the horse to get it to run faster by beating it harder, I guess so?

I'm sure you're making progress and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Comment

Comment

I'd agree--may be fixable but probably not worth the effort. Hope you can find a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                              X