BOBCAT Amperage drops when stick welding . Please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOBCAT Amperage drops when stick welding . Please help

Hello. I have a Bobcat 225G Plus 8000 watt welder generator made in the mid-late nineties.It has 1500 hours of use on it.
    After striking an arc the engine slows down and the weld puddle gets too cold and stays cold.
    I plugged in a 240 volt portable stick/Tig welder in to check if it would work, but it does the same thing.
    I'm not an electrician. I'm an old welder trying to do side jobs with this Bobcat. Please help guide me through troubleshooting.
    Thank you

Sounds like an engine performance problem. There are some engine experts here--but it's not me. Please post your serial number and type of engine. Maybe one of the techs or Duane will see this and help.

Comment

It sounds like you have either fuel restriction or a low compression issue. Does your machine have an Onan Performer series engine?

Comment

Does the engine kick up from idle into weld rpm when you strike an arc?
        Lincoln Idealarc 250
        Miller Bobcat 250
        Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
        Torchmate CNC table

Comment

What Snoeproe said:........."Does the engine kick up from idle into weld rpm when you strike an arc?"..........there is a 12v solinoid on top of the motor that is hooked to the throttle........when it's excited it kicks the RPM up to weld or generate AC power for the generator.....that is an easy check..

Comment

Could be a number of things. 225G I assume its a Onan engine? Bad spark plug, low compression, fouled carburetor, RPM's set too low. So many variables when the engine won't handle the load. Could be a simple as a $2 spark plug to as bad as a broken rod.

Comment

I am not normally prone to tossing stung at it but a couple new plugs and cleaning the carb well, sometimes no parts even needed is a good start especially for a machine that sits around any.
              when they sit they varnish some and new gas is so high detergent it really cuts stuff loose, clogs little ports. Plugs are not quite as sensitive with electronic ign but they also seem to age from sitting sometimes once they are used.

Comment

Working...
              X