X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N9013C
    started a topic Help with Millermatic 185

Help with Millermatic 185

I have a Millermatic 185 that is approx. 20 years old but with very few hours on it. It will not strike an arc on the lowest power setting. I have cleaned the contact points on the selector switch, but still no arc. Works fine on the other settings. Any suggestions?

• N9013C
    replied
    Thanks guys for all of your input. I dropped the welder off today at a highly recommended professional repair shop. I have been too busy to even take the case off to look at it. Thanks again and I will let you know what the fix turns out to be.

Leave a comment:

• Weld dr
    replied
    You should be testing your open circuit voltage this is a tap control transformer ocv should be 18.4 DC position 1 ( 21.0 on 2) (23.6 on 3) (26.2 on 4) (28.9 on 5) (31.5 on 6) if any are missing you have a bad diode or the control xformer is bad test voltage at output studs

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I meant for you to check the power at the switch on the machine, make sure something in there didn't come loose. That's pretty much the low hanging fruit, making sure you have power as far as you can check it before you have to look for a fried whatchacallit inside the machine.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    Originally posted by N9013C View Post
    It will not strike an arc on the lowest power setting. I have
    cleaned the contact points on the selector switch,
    but still no arc. Works fine on the other settings. Any suggestions?
    I guess avoiding the lowest setting doesn't work for you? Well... I don't know? All out of suggestions at the moment?
    But I'm wondering, does the wire still feed? Any sparky at all? Or is it stone cold, no sign of life for all purpose dead on that setting?
    Have you played touchy feely with a multi-meter?
    If you have to, you up to replacing a board or fixing a board? Not to say it isn't the switch still, just wondering out loud?
    While I'm all for easy answers, I like reading the complicated ones as well. You do a search or just scroll headings, I think you'll find some direction to solving your issue. Better advice could as well be coming soon.

I might suggest while the cover is off you take pictures.
    Look at that, another suggestion? Where did that come from? Been there done that is where. Go back far enough and you'll read the post of the guy that didn't asking for help. Wasn't me, I posted pictures, a different guy. Jus saying...I wasn't that guy.

Leave a comment:

• N9013C
    replied
    Ryan, I was not ignoring you, I have just been busy doing other things. Voltage to the welder (and in the rest of my shop) is 248V ac. Serial number on the welder is KJ211443.
    Anyone else have this issue as stated above?

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Check the output at your breaker, check the output at the socket, check the input at the switch, post your serial number and report back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X