Bobcat 225G Faceplate help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat 225G Faceplate help

I am wanting to replace the faceplate on an older 225G. I have not been able to figure out how to get the control knobs off. It looks like they may have roll pins in them, but I'm really not sure. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these.

Thanks,
    Doug

Look in the parts manual it may tell what’s there. I believe yrs ago mine had Allen head screws and they were really hard to get out but that’s been a long time ago.

Comment

This is what the welder looks like. The two knobs at the top have a hole through them and the rod they are on. It may be a roll pin, but I'm not sure.

Comment

No definitive answers so far, so here's what I would do if it was mine . First, I would try various size allen wrenches and see if you can get one to seat in the screw, if it is a screw. I would guess with the amount of torque required for the two top selectors, your thought of a roll pin is more likely, but you don't want to start hammering a punch into an allen screw and bung up the socket. Once (if) you are sure it's not an allen, I would get two guys, have one hold a dolly or a heavy hammer on one side of handle (assuming the pin has a little room to move before coming out--if not, you need something heavy with a hole in it) and gently try a drift punch after soaking the pin with Kroil for a day or so. Not likely, but it could even be a tapered pin, so I would gently try both directions to see if it will move one way or another. I would not start hammering on the shaft without backing with a dolly or really heavy hammer; don't want to damage the switches inside the machine with side loads.

Comment

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

Search for your owners manual by your serial #. I just looked in the oldest 225G manual and it shows a part # for a handle that is a spring pin 5/32" x 1 1/4" . Check it out. Page 30, parts 38 & 39 from the diagram.

---Meltedmetal
          Last edited by Meltedmetal; 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM.
          ---Meltedmetal

Comment

There are a set of 2 pins that hold those controls. One that holds the handle and 1 that holds the rod that sticks through the front. Locate the pin inside the machine, get a punch and a hammer, brace the rod with a short 2x4 and tap the pin out. Don't try to take the roll pin out of the handles. If you try the roll pins in the handle, get a 2x4 long enough to reach the ground to brace the rod. spray it with some blaster. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X