Bobcat 225G Faceplate help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat 225G Faceplate help

I am wanting to replace the faceplate on an older 225G. I have not been able to figure out how to get the control knobs off. It looks like they may have roll pins in them, but I'm really not sure. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these.

Thanks,
    Doug

Look in the parts manual it may tell what’s there. I believe yrs ago mine had Allen head screws and they were really hard to get out but that’s been a long time ago.

Comment

This is what the welder looks like. The two knobs at the top have a hole through them and the rod they are on. It may be a roll pin, but I'm not sure.

Comment

No definitive answers so far, so here's what I would do if it was mine . First, I would try various size allen wrenches and see if you can get one to seat in the screw, if it is a screw. I would guess with the amount of torque required for the two top selectors, your thought of a roll pin is more likely, but you don't want to start hammering a punch into an allen screw and bung up the socket. Once (if) you are sure it's not an allen, I would get two guys, have one hold a dolly or a heavy hammer on one side of handle (assuming the pin has a little room to move before coming out--if not, you need something heavy with a hole in it) and gently try a drift punch after soaking the pin with Kroil for a day or so. Not likely, but it could even be a tapered pin, so I would gently try both directions to see if it will move one way or another. I would not start hammering on the shaft without backing with a dolly or really heavy hammer; don't want to damage the switches inside the machine with side loads.

Comment

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

Search for your owners manual by your serial #. I just looked in the oldest 225G manual and it shows a part # for a handle that is a spring pin 5/32" x 1 1/4" . Check it out. Page 30, parts 38 & 39 from the diagram.

---Meltedmetal
          Last edited by Meltedmetal; 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM.
          ---Meltedmetal

Comment

There are a set of 2 pins that hold those controls. One that holds the handle and 1 that holds the rod that sticks through the front. Locate the pin inside the machine, get a punch and a hammer, brace the rod with a short 2x4 and tap the pin out. Don't try to take the roll pin out of the handles. If you try the roll pins in the handle, get a 2x4 long enough to reach the ground to brace the rod. spray it with some blaster. Good luck.

Comment

I’m trying to replace a faded face on mine too. I’ve drilled all the rivets out. I’m going to be working on the controls on the front as well. Any other suggestions? I’ve also noticed the inside is a shorty mess. What can I use to clean everything up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jmartin81 View Post
                I’m trying to replace a faded face on mine too. I’ve drilled all the rivets out. I’m going to be working on the controls on the front as well. Any other suggestions? I’ve also noticed the inside is a shorty mess. What can I use to clean everything up?
                Power wash it and let it dry in the sun with the covers off for a few days

Comment

Working...
                X