trailblazer arc problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailblazer arc problems

Hi everyone, I have a 2004 trailblazer 302 with a 22hp Robin, S.#-LE382926 with 243 hours on it. This started with the machine having around 40 hours on it. While welding with the 8RC suitcase welder the arc at times would go into a spray arc type arc then back to normal and that type of arc only lasted maybe 10 seconds then back to normal and may do it again an hour later. Pulled the unit out to use it 2 weeks ago ( about 220 hours on it ) and it arc this time was a lot hotter than the settings ( #2 setting for volts and 200 wire speed) when started welding then it would go into a spray arc mode then back to a good weld amperage and back to a high amperage or spray arc. The arc was everywhere this time. I was burning through the purlin. Before this the problem only happened every once in a while. Tried the stick side to weld and with the leads laying on the ground the arc was very intense starting ( 7018 soft start, about 75 amps using 3/32 rods ) and would go cold then back to intense arc or to a good amperage. The arc was everywhere also. Moved the lever to a straight polarity and the arc was the same, everywhere ( intense, cold or a good amperage) but was able to weld the purlin it took a long time to weld the joint ( stopping, cleaning slag , restarting) checked the Hz and it was off Idle was 44hz and run 58 hz. Moved the idle to 42hz ( would not go any lower maybe have a torn carb gasket) and moved run to 62. The arc still was the same way with the suitcase and the stick. Cleaned the slip rings. The exciter ring was a little black color but could see a little bit of copper underneath. The common and main field rings were a shiny copper color. The suitcase was still welding the same but the arc was better but ran better. The arc was not an intense arc but it was going cold and back to a good arc amperage. Checked the wires #37 & #30 and the dc volt was the same reading as the volt meter on the machine. Checked the wires #144 & #142 and the volt on my fluke meter showed to = what the amps showed on the machine ( 1 volt for every 100 amps). I left the actual numbers on the machine-forgot them. Have not found any loose wires or anything that looks burned. I have not jumped started the machine that I can remember. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciate. Thank you so much for the help with my arc problem.

I can't help (you've already gone past my ideas) but wanted to thank you for a well-written, detailed question. Usually we are pulling teeth to get info from an OP.

Comment

Motherboard likely. I had a new trailblazer back then that amps jumped up while stick welding.

Comment

Which board is considered the motherboard? Is it the PC1/Power board?

Comment

You can call Miller directly and ask for the engine drive dept.and speak to a tech. They are very good and will help you troubleshoot it. Have all your machines info ready when you call.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

Thank you all who replied to my problem. I will give the miller tech guys a call.

Comment

Originally posted by sn046 View Post
              Which board is considered the motherboard? Is it the PC1/Power board?
              They just told me mother board. I traded it off after they fixed it.

Comment

Working...
              X