Clear Tig cups.... worth it??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Tig cups.... worth it??

I’m new to welding. Had never struck and arc six mo the ago, and got an old Econotig, and have been doing nothing but grinding tungsten electrodes ever since.

Ive seen pictures of ***y “dime stacker” welds and a lot of the torches have a cup that’s clear, instead of the pink alumina ones I’ve always seen.

Are the the clear cups worth it? Do they really improve the visibility? I would think they would get dirty and not transparent after awhile.

Ive been thinking of trying them out. Where is the best place to get them? Just any old welding supply?

thanks for any advice.

Not while you're just learning. They're expensive, you'll break them and you need to learn to walk without crutches anyway. You can see just fine with a regular cup, just put yourself in the correct position.

Comment

They are nice to impress people with

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Oh man, where can I get some? Put me in for a case!

Comment

They are realllllly cool looking. And in super tight spots you can look at your weld thru the cup. Draw back is they cost a lot and too easy to break. Just learning, stick with the regular cups they work great and like Ryan said, position yourself correctly and you'll do fine.

Comment

I got some with some new fangled gas system, but I've yet to use them. I have my setup down with the system I'm running and can see my puddles just fine, so I haven't switched. What I bought is supposed to save gas, but............ Like ryan said, learn with what you got. When you get it down and know exactly what you're looking for, make the switch. I probably am not good enough to even know the difference in the gas I would save. lol

Comment

The gas saver is the lens, not the cup.
              One guy in 10,000 might need that clear cup, and then for only a few seconds. Sorta like a big d!#k in the shower....looks impressive, but would trade for one that works good

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
              X