Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about using RTM 3T on the Dynasty with a dual button as described in manual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about using RTM 3T on the Dynasty with a dual button as described in manual

Shows in the manual the miller Dynasty uses 2 momentary buttons to run the RMT 3T feature. Like to do this and currently have the RMS-14 button but thinking about getting the RPBS-14 dual on / off button for running in 3T mode. First question is this dual button (RPBS-14) have momentary style buttons on it? Looks like they would be? Secondly dose that dual on /off buttons Pin out in the correct place to run 3T with the Dynasty 280? The manual shows they need to run button #1 to A & B pin then the second button to D & E pin. Like to know what the pin out goes to on the RPBS-14 plug. If it doesn't match up I can re-pin it possibly? Also dose any one up here got any experience running the button(s) in the RMT 3t mode? Thanks in advance...

After looking more at the RPBS-14 on/off tig switch it looks like more of a 2 wire maintained switch similar to a house light switch. I would need a 4 wire switch with two momentary buttons. If I was to use two RMS-14 switches it would work if they were pinned to the same plug correctly but rather have a one piece unit with two buttons vs trying to tape two different single buttons on the same tig rig.

Comment

How about it FusionKing

or
      H80N

You have any idea what is out there to run 3T with the dual momentary buttons or is people just not tapping into this feature?

Comment

What does 3t do and what is the purpose of dual buttons. The little button switches are momentary. In 2t mode you have to hold the button to maintain the arc. In 4t you push once and arc starts, push again and arc stops. Can you explain this 3t and dual buttons and what the purpose is?

Usually you can find the pin outs in the manual
        www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
        Miller extreme 12vs
        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
        Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Originally posted by mwahl View Post
          After looking more at the RPBS-14 on/off tig switch it looks like more of a 2 wire maintained switch similar to a house light switch. I would need a 4 wire switch with two momentary buttons. If I was to use two RMS-14 switches it would work if they were pinned to the same plug correctly but rather have a one piece unit with two buttons vs trying to tape two different single buttons on the same tig rig.
          Im not sure what your trying to do. I just looked up this rpbs-14. It looks like it would be sortof like a rocker switch. When you push on it locks down and closes the circuit. When you push off it releases and breaks the circuuts. It would use 2 wires. All the remotes use 2 wires for the contactor, 4 wires is not possible( and another 3 if its got a pot for current control). This switch would do the same thing as your momentary button if you put the dynasty on 4t mode. So dont spend $400 on one of these switches its a total waste of money. Actually all the miller buttons are a total rip off. You can build your own for under $100 easily.

Miller extreme 12vs
          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Looked up the 3t function. If I understand it correctly you can use the two buttons to either ramp up or down the amperage while maintaining the arc. If thats correct I can see how that would be pretty cool for aluminum.

Its odd that they don't make a specific button for this? I dont think you can use that rpbs-14, its a 2 wire remote from the looks of it. So you would have to build your own. I'll post up a link to the amphenol connector you need soon. Then you will need 2 momentary switches so you can tape 2 on like you said but I would search ebay and see if you can find something that looks like it would work good.

Miller extreme 12vs
            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

The 3T and 4T modes are used when one does not have a remote potentiometer type of current control.
              (In fact these functions are disabled if a remote control is plugged in).
              They are used to vary the welding current when only switches are available...
              Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

The way I use it on my 400 is push the button starts the arc. It runs through the ramp up to 100% of the amperage set on the panel. Then if things get too hot I push it again to start the down slope. In the down slope cycle i push it again and will start back up. At least that's how i use it if that makes any sense?.
                Dynasty 400 wireless
                Coolmate 3.5
                Sw320 speedway
                Ck flex lock 230
                4 victor flow meters
                2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
                2 genuine miller torch buttons
                A$$ loads of tungsten
                XMT 350 CC/CV
                S74DX feeder
                Stick leads from here to China
                A30 Spool gun
                WC24
                Langmuir crossfire hobby table
                Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
                Harris O/A
                Pet raccoon
                I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Comment

Amphenol part numbers:
                  97-3106A-20-27P
                  97-3057-1010

These guys make button switches like the miller one. You would have to tape 2 of them on like you said. Then you would need a length of 18/4 soow cord (might need to special order from an electrical wholesaler) or use 2 18/2 soow cords.

https://www.cpi-nj.com/waterproof-sw...tary-switches/
                  Somethings like this might work good too
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Momentary-D...4Bq:rk:18:pf:0

I wonder if the reason you want to do this is (like me) that you find the torch mounted remotes awkward to use. There are a few other remotes out there that are a lot more comfortable then the miller ones in my opinion. Ck worldwide had a few different options. I've used this style from lincoln and found it wasn't too bad.
                  https://www.ckworldwide.com/rotary.html

I also think the linear slide would be fairly comfortable.

Miller extreme 12vs
                  Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Willvis, you got it. I rigged up something with a RTM-14 and a SW-1 momentary switch. The 3T is sweet. Tried it last night doing a marine gas tank out of 5052 with 5356 filler. Really like it but love to have a dual switch as two taped together is a little bulky.
                    Last edited by mwahl; 02-18-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Here is a pic,
                      Attached Files

Comment

Few pics welding with the 3T mode a few diffrent ways
                        Attached Files

Comment

I've thought about buying the tig control button that is pressure sensitive that is offered and may still get one just to play around with but like the idea of not having to hold the button down. On short runs or tack ups I normally use the standard RTM on/off and just hold the switch in as needed with up and down slope. Sometimes jog the button playing the down slope to keep it from getting too hot. I've now really got to like the 4T mode though more. Probably mainly due to I have been doing a lot of weldments that are long runs. When doing gas tanks and such with long runs my hand cramps holding in the button for long periods. The 4T, 4TL, 4Tm allows me to just click the button and let off. I can either play the ramp up or ramp down also in these modes to have some control but the 3T gives you total control just like a petal almost. I have a remote petal but after learning from my dad which builds tee tops and tuna towers I've started with a button and now that I've tried to use the petal some it sucks. Specially when not at a table which is near most stuff I do. It is amazing what you can do with the "T" modes on the dynasty's but honestly most stuff I do is on RTM standard and just jogging the button with about 3 seconds of down slope. I have learned to start a little slow and then just run with it when the aluminum starts to hold or build heat. Running slow then speeding up fits the bill on most stuff but when running a 60" outside corner bead down something the 3T seems like it will be good for 2 foot plus runs. Still like to see the other peoples set ups on 3T if any one out there is using it...

Comment

Sounds like you got it figured out. Id give the 3t mode a shot if I had a dynasty. Also I'm a huge fan of the ck worldwide flex loc torches. Id you dont know what they are you can adjust the head to whatever angle you like. It makes welding so much more comfortable as you can always find a comfortable spot to rest your hand and just adjust the head angle to suit. Also they don't break every week like the stupid flex head torches. I was looking at their website and see they have remotes that are actually molded into the handle. With the flex loc torch and molded remote I think you would find it very comfortable and easy to use, probably more so then this 2 button set up. I myself will be getting one of their linear slide remotes to put on my torch soon.

Miller extreme 12vs
                            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Willvis, I have seen the flex lock stuff and think it would be cool to try. I have been wanting to try one. I do have several CK torch set ups now, two 20FX and several 9FX torchs. I recently got a 26FX trimline w/ valve (210 trimline) for scratch start field work. Just burnt up one of my WP17's and replaced it with the CK trimline one as it is good for 200 amps air cooled. I have the 280wp pictured with the two buttons on it but don't really like it as it is not a flex head. I just recently got the stubby gas lense collets to set up on the 17 and 26 thinline torch from CK to run my small hardware. I normally buy all CK consumables and love their line. Also love Mike Furrik's stuff too but I really like the CK stuff over most other consumables. Love CK but just haven't got a flex loc yet. May try one soon.

Far as the 3T deal, will continue to play around with it but would love to find a dual button to keep the bulk down. Probably will still use the RMT 2T and 4T more than the 3T but I can see where there will be a few applications the 3T will be nice. May try to build a set up from some micro switches somehow to make it smaller on the tig torch. Set it up on a cord with plug and keep it around for those times where its needed. Not giving my wireless foot petal away yet but still having a hard time liking it. Guess it is what your used to. I may try the European market to see what kind of buttons they have as I have heard they mainly use them over there vs the petal. Maybe they have a dual momentary button overseas where it's more popular. Also would like to ask Miller what they recommend for running 3T to see if they have something maybe.

Any how thanks for the help and if any body comes across a neat dual button micro switch set up let me know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X