X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Feeder

Hi Guys,

My first post after lurking here for a while...so be nice

I just bought an older Spoolmate 200 S#JF943284 to do an aluminum project this spring. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions when I start to use it. But I was thinking it would be nice to add a wire feeder and maybe get rid of my Dan-Mig.

Questions:

1. found a locally for sale Miller XR-A S#KH456702. Will this work?? (it does have the gas valve, looks to only have wire speed setting)
    2. will any wire feeder work (it just pushes the wire and opens the gas valve??)
    3. could I just use my small Hobart 140 like a suitcase unit and just hook the power to it?
    4. any for sale out there?

Thanks

Larry

So you just bought the power source without the spool gun? Your manual >>>> https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...O1539B_MIL.pdf ...Bob
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 02-13-2019, 05:21 PM.
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Your question doesn't make any sense at all. A spoolmate 200 is a spool gun and the xr a is a push pull gun. What are you try to add a suitcase too? What welding machine are you using?

Edit - ok I guess there's an old machine called a spoolmatic 200 that uses a spool gun. I was confused because miller sells just a spool gun now called the spoolmatic 200.

To answer your question if any wire feeder will work theres probably others that know more about the machine then I do. I would asume yes, there's generally a way to make things work but how much effort do you want to put into it? You might need to some how jump the trigger wire on the machine to turn the output on. As far as jimmy rigging your hobbart 140, it would probably work but what's the point really. You would want to disconnect the power lead that bolts to the block near the drive rolls and attach the positive lead from the spoolmate machine to that power block. Again youd have to somehow tap the trigger wires from the hobbart to the connector on the spoolmatic so it turns the output on. Kindof a hassle and then you got to put it all back when you want to use the hobbart
      Last edited by Willvis; 02-13-2019, 08:20 PM.
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

My Spoolmate 200 power source did come with a spool gun and is operational. It is a large box like spool gun that I do not know the model. Thank s for the manual link.

Yes I can see that it would be a pain to make a non-standard wire feeder work, but was interested in knowing how they work and hook up.

What wire feeders would be the simplest to make work for me?

Comment

Please post some pictures of what you have. Maybe its just me but I'm still confused. Looks like Willvis has it figured out

Comment

This is what she looks like.

Comment

I would just get some 4" spools of steel wire and run what you have. I have the same problem with on old Westinghouse that I think I can add a feeder but for all I am going to use it the spoolgun and steel wire will work. I ran miles of steel thru my spoolgun welding on dump trailers...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Bob that is one BIG gun to use all the time. After a few aluminum projects this summer I am back to mostly steel projects. I do a lot of smaller tight spot work for that big gun. If I can get this machine to do both with a feeder I can get rid of one of my migs.

I love having tools but I also need space to move

I like your tip conversion link....added to my project list.

Comment

The idea of using your 140 as a suitcase is feasible, but not without some work, and it would be a pain to switch back and forth as Willvis said. You would obviously use the gas valve and bottle from the 140. You would have to get some welding cable and connect the + and - leads from the Spoolmate to the connections inside the 140, and disconnect/tie off/insulate the existing leads inside the 140. Then, you would have to wire a relay inside the 140 that is energized when you pull the trigger on the gun. The contacts on that relay would have to be connected back over to the Spoolmate to drive the main weld contactor (component W on the schematic diagram). Those wires would be connected to the existing gun switch contacts on the front panel connector, which would mean either taking the plug off of that giant spoolgun for your new lashup, or finding a compatible connector, or hard-wiring them inside. So, yes, it's possible, but there is some work to do, including internal mods to the 140 to add the relay. How badly do you want to do this? What are your electrical skills, experience, and safety knowledge?

As someone else said, you could hook up just about any wire feeder but would have to come up with a way to trigger the gas valve also. Not impossible, just requires some electrical knowledge and experience.

Comment

I have the skills to do all of this kind of work in a safe manner, as I have done so in the past. The BIG question is how bad do I want this.... My project lists are longer than my lifespan at this point.

I will keep looking for a low-cost wire feeder or dead mig welder for this project.

Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry-Cleveland View Post
                      I have the skills to do all of this kind of work in a safe manner, as I have done so in the past. The BIG question is how bad do I want this.... My project lists are longer than my lifespan at this point.

I will keep looking for a low-cost wire feeder or dead mig welder for this project.

Thank you all for your input.
                      Boy, do I ever get that! Understand completely! At almost 71, I see many things I'd like to do but I don't think I have enough time left!

Comment

I used to have that same unit. It is a brother to the much loved MM200.
                        I rigged a 10-A feeder to mine. Since it had the same inductance as a MM200..... I ran mine on steel with straight CO2 and loved it.
                        After I purchased my 350P I gave it to a friend for his projects. It was all free.
                        Darn good power source. To make it work all you need is a feeder and hook the positive to it. The wire would be live unless you wire a relay. It never bothered me though. I simply loved the arc it produced.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I just picked up an S-52a wire Feeder. I need a gun and some help hooking it up.

I started a new post on the questions I have on it

Fingers crossed .

Comment

Good

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                            X