onan not charging the battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onan not charging the battery

i need trouble shooting info on the charging system on my bobcat 225 with an onan engine

When mine quit charging it was the voltage regulator. Early on I searched the web for the correct service manual for mine and bought it. I refer to it many times, a worthwhile investment. Note this isn't the Miller manual but an actual Onan sevice manual. You should list your welders serial number as well as the engine model designation.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

locate the voltage regulator. the two outside wires are the ac input from the charging stator. put a meter set to ac volts across those two wires, start the engine ,on high ideal you should see 40 or so volts ac. if you have that voltage ether the voltage regulator is bad or you have a bad connection going back to the battery. If there is no ac voltage there ether stator is bad or the magnets have came off the flywheel, that happens a lot with the older onan engines.

Comment

bobcat 225nt ser# lb090939 where did you get the manual?

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by bcdive@aol.com View Post
            bobcat 225nt ser# lb090939 where did you get the manual?
            If you click on the SUPPORT link at the top of this page, then the MANUALS AND PARTS link, you can look up a manual by serial number using the box on the left at the bottom of the page, or by name using the box on the right. Some older machines don't show up via the serial number search but if you use the name search, it will list all the manuals for that model by serial number range--you just pick out the one you need.

Comment

This is one place but I don't know your engine number. There should be a tag on the engine with model and serial number. Once you have the model number you can search the web for it or maybe the link I posted will work for your engine? In the first few pages it lists which models the manual is for. This is different than the welder serial number and also different than the miller manual as it is Onan specific. Mine is a "B48G".

https://www.mytractorforum.com/image...6_18_20_24.pdf
              Last edited by MMW; 02-13-2019, 08:20 AM.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24