Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I disconnect electronics during welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a mid 60s zenith radio as my shop radio. Says right on the tag that it's HF TIG proof....well not really, but it is old.

Comment

I was pretty sure I could drive my 96 Cummins-powered Dodge through a nuclear airburst EMP. I doubt I would want to park my 17 Cummins anywhere near a TIG machine now!

Comment

Merely disconnecting the battery doesn't do beans on hardly anything when I comes to protecting computers. Think about all the late model welding trucks that guys have their welding machine mounted on. Many weld right on the bed every day for a work/welding table. You could even stop and freak out about the welding machines' own electronics in that case.
        Tarry99 is right on target. if you REALLY want to protect electronics the only way is to remove them.
        Newer vehicles have multiple circuits and components that simply unhooking won't protect.
        I used to have a muffler shop and welded on hundreds of cars and trucks. Now have a Marine welding biz. Boats do have a battery shutoff. Obviously we turn them off.
        I have gotten a couple of complaints from people because I lost all their pre-sets on their radios before.
        I've also had genius' quiz me as to how I unhooked their battery before welding.
        I do it how I see fit and accept the responsibility that goes with it. It has served me well for 45+ years welding on things with engines. But I am aware of the risk and know full well I can blow components from stray electricity. It's a risk I take to earn a living.
        We have covered this subject to tears and yawning now for over a decade. I personally use a vice grip to the part being welded and twist it a bit to get a good fresh bite, and then hook my ground to that. After that I'm running on my blessings
        I do have a friend whose car got hit by lightning in Walmart parking lot.....now that did wipe out the electronics

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

In my case, I fried the radio most likely because I was listening to my favorite country station. It most likely wouldn't have happened had I bothered to shut it off.

Comment

Country music rots your brain, so maybe your radio sacrificed itself to save your life.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              Country music rots your brain, so maybe your radio sacrificed itself to save your life.
              Dang, Maybe that's why everybody around here is telling me that I should listen to western. That makes lots of sense because you can go to the nearest hardware store here and buy your favorite fire stick.

Comment

Only if it's the really loud and angry western music...oh wait....

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  It sure does change your attitude !!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                  X