Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FusionKing
    replied
    You're gonna need to get inside to see the real color. Possibly where panels overlap.

Leave a comment:

• DestructionFromTheHills
    replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Yup I am warm here under Youngstown. There are 3 Miller blues that I have seen. We had old old spray cans of them when I worked at the dealer. They all had different numbers...Bob
    Ain't too bad down here either, an hour and change south west of Columbus, too bad those old cans didn't still exist lol. I might go with what FusionKing suggested, just not sure there's anything locally, I'll have to look around. This project probably wont get started until this spring so I've got some time.

I tried to get some better pictures of the paint but not the best of lighting.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190131_180524.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	594821

Name:	20190131_180609.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	594820

Name:	20190131_180400.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	594818

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Take a panel to you local automotive paint supplier and they will rub a small area inside where the fading is minimal and get a good scan.
    Happens everyday on cars.
    Nowadays they will even load your new paint in aerosol cans right there.
    Some folks powder coat too, in safety blue.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Yup I am warm here under Youngstown. There are 3 Miller blues that I have seen. We had old old spray cans of them when I worked at the dealer. They all had different numbers...Bob

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Looks like my profile pic...Bob
    It does doesn't it? Trust me though I didn't copy and paste, I just wish it was that easy lol.
    Are you staying warm Bob? I'm stuck in Ohio too.

Name:	Screenshot (140).png
Views:	146
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	594789

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    Welcome, Destruction! Nice find. I have found Rustoleum Sail Blue to be very close to the Miller blue on my old MM200. But as Noel said, most auto paint suppliers can scan a sample and do a really good match. Question is, is the color on your welder true, or is it faded with age?
    I have noticed there are lighter and darker places on the welder, just from the sides alone, one side appears to have sun damage, and there are places I had removed dirt and dust that are a lot darker. I'll try to get better pictures of the color differences later this evening.

Name:	20190121_170324.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	594790

Name:	20190121_170358.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	594791

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Welcome, Destruction! Nice find. I have found Rustoleum Sail Blue to be very close to the Miller blue on my old MM200. But as Noel said, most auto paint suppliers can scan a sample and do a really good match. Question is, is the color on your welder true, or is it faded with age?

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Looks like my profile pic...Bob

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Noel View Post
    I second Bob's comment.
    $50 bucks, I'd say you did good. I'm guessing there's that much in copper in the old beast? But plenty of companies match paint color with a sample, and if the decals can't be purchased they can be reproduced.
    I'd say there likely is, it took two grown men to lift. And I've looked for the decals and what I could find didn't match, so I opened gimp and did this. Now to find someone to print it. lol The black background is just for appearance on the web.

Name:	millerLightBlue.png
Views:	173
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	594772

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    I second Bob's comment.
    $50 bucks, I'd say you did good. I'm guessing there's that much in copper in the old beast? But plenty of companies match paint color with a sample, and if the decals can't be purchased they can be reproduced.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Nice..Bob

Leave a comment:

started a topic Miller 88P New Owner

Miller 88P New Owner

First off, first time to the forums, hello everyone.

Secondly, I recently picked up a Miller 88P Industrial Arc Welder on Craigslist for 50 bills. Individual claimed he had welded with it, however didn't have any leads etc. to test with, he did turn it on and I could hear the monster transformer humming away. Anyway it's in kinda rough shape, rust, missing paint, a couple dings, other wise I believe decent for being made in 1963. Yes I've been lurking the forums for a few weeks. The connections for the leads are plugged with what appears to be mud dauber nests from sitting.

Thirdly, on to what I'm wanting to do with this machine. I'd like to strip it down to it's basic components, remove all rust and paint, lubricate moving components, replace aging insulation if needed, and prime metal then paint it as close to the original color as I can get within reason. I have contacted Miller and they didn't have a color code available, wandering through wally world the other day I did notice that Rustoleum Metallic Cobalt Blue appears to be a close match, not sure though. Any suggestions? I would like to keep this machine working well into the future. I'm also looking to replace the decals. I did get a copy of the manual.

I'm attaching some photos of the welder. P.S. As to the shine it took a ride in the rain, forgot the tarp. :/

Name:	50275096_372196980006190_2212080952564252672_n.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	594765

Name:	20190121_170358.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	594764

Name:	50508756_233909070873323_2482711678018387968_n.jpg