Miller 88P New Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 88P New Owner

First off, first time to the forums, hello everyone.

Secondly, I recently picked up a Miller 88P Industrial Arc Welder on Craigslist for 50 bills. Individual claimed he had welded with it, however didn't have any leads etc. to test with, he did turn it on and I could hear the monster transformer humming away. Anyway it's in kinda rough shape, rust, missing paint, a couple dings, other wise I believe decent for being made in 1963. Yes I've been lurking the forums for a few weeks. The connections for the leads are plugged with what appears to be mud dauber nests from sitting.

Thirdly, on to what I'm wanting to do with this machine. I'd like to strip it down to it's basic components, remove all rust and paint, lubricate moving components, replace aging insulation if needed, and prime metal then paint it as close to the original color as I can get within reason. I have contacted Miller and they didn't have a color code available, wandering through wally world the other day I did notice that Rustoleum Metallic Cobalt Blue appears to be a close match, not sure though. Any suggestions? I would like to keep this machine working well into the future. I'm also looking to replace the decals. I did get a copy of the manual.

I'm attaching some photos of the welder. P.S. As to the shine it took a ride in the rain, forgot the tarp. :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	50275096_372196980006190_2212080952564252672_n.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	594765

Name:	20190121_170358.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	594764

Name:	50508756_233909070873323_2482711678018387968_n.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	594763

Nice..Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I second Bob's comment.
      $50 bucks, I'd say you did good. I'm guessing there's that much in copper in the old beast? But plenty of companies match paint color with a sample, and if the decals can't be purchased they can be reproduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
        I second Bob's comment.
        $50 bucks, I'd say you did good. I'm guessing there's that much in copper in the old beast? But plenty of companies match paint color with a sample, and if the decals can't be purchased they can be reproduced.
        I'd say there likely is, it took two grown men to lift. And I've looked for the decals and what I could find didn't match, so I opened gimp and did this. Now to find someone to print it. lol The black background is just for appearance on the web.

Name:	millerLightBlue.png
Views:	174
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	594772

Comment

Looks like my profile pic...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Welcome, Destruction! Nice find. I have found Rustoleum Sail Blue to be very close to the Miller blue on my old MM200. But as Noel said, most auto paint suppliers can scan a sample and do a really good match. Question is, is the color on your welder true, or is it faded with age?

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
              Looks like my profile pic...Bob
              It does doesn't it? Trust me though I didn't copy and paste, I just wish it was that easy lol.
              Are you staying warm Bob? I'm stuck in Ohio too.

Name:	Screenshot (140).png
Views:	147
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	594789

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
              Welcome, Destruction! Nice find. I have found Rustoleum Sail Blue to be very close to the Miller blue on my old MM200. But as Noel said, most auto paint suppliers can scan a sample and do a really good match. Question is, is the color on your welder true, or is it faded with age?
              I have noticed there are lighter and darker places on the welder, just from the sides alone, one side appears to have sun damage, and there are places I had removed dirt and dust that are a lot darker. I'll try to get better pictures of the color differences later this evening.

Name:	20190121_170324.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	594790

Name:	20190121_170358.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	594791

Comment

Yup I am warm here under Youngstown. There are 3 Miller blues that I have seen. We had old old spray cans of them when I worked at the dealer. They all had different numbers...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Take a panel to you local automotive paint supplier and they will rub a small area inside where the fading is minimal and get a good scan.
                  Happens everyday on cars.
                  Nowadays they will even load your new paint in aerosol cans right there.
                  Some folks powder coat too, in safety blue.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                    Yup I am warm here under Youngstown. There are 3 Miller blues that I have seen. We had old old spray cans of them when I worked at the dealer. They all had different numbers...Bob
                    Ain't too bad down here either, an hour and change south west of Columbus, too bad those old cans didn't still exist lol. I might go with what FusionKing suggested, just not sure there's anything locally, I'll have to look around. This project probably wont get started until this spring so I've got some time.

I tried to get some better pictures of the paint but not the best of lighting.

Name:	20190131_180524.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	594821

Name:	20190131_180609.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	594820

Name:	20190131_180400.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	594818

Attached Files

Comment

You're gonna need to get inside to see the real color. Possibly where panels overlap.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                      X