Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willvis
    replied
    These clamps work pretty good but not cheap.
    https://www.mathey.com/Pages/clamp-quik-fit.htm

Sometimes a piece of angle iron and chain grips works but not very well on elbows. I saw some cool looking magnetic clamps with a flexible arm that might work well. Otherwise get good at holding the piece and taking. Not too difficult if your butting the fittings up like your doing. A lot more tricky when your trying to set a gap for open root.

As Noel said its alot in the wrist on that small stuff. Rest your hand on the pipe and roll your wrist as you go. Put an extra old gloves under your hand if the pipes too hot. Im also thinking (without trying so going off memory) 100 is too hot. Try around 85. 1/16 rod can make it a bit easier aswell. Flows a bit better with less heat but 3/32 works fine.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    It's all in the movement of the wrist.
    About a quarter of the pipe at a time. Maybe less.
    Then stop. Reposition. Twist the wrist and repeat. Could you be running hot? Could you use a smaller filler rod? Could you reshape the profile of tungsten? I'm going to say yes, yes, and yes but...it's all in he wrist, not the elbow or arm or contortion of the body. As mentioned, practice. Repeat.

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Willvis
    replied
    Maybe some pictures or an explanation of what your doing would help. Butt joints or fillets? Amperage doesn't seem too bad maybe a bit hot. Try go down a bit and see if that helps. A large cup like a #12 may help a bit. Its a must when doing small stainless like that but usually mild is ok with a #8. Other than that practice, practice, practice lol

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    Not an expert here, but I will comment that smaller dia is always more difficult, you have to constantly change the torch angle (compared to larger dia pipe) while progressing with the weld.

Certainly practice is key, no secret about that.

Hope someone with more hands on will join in.

Leave a comment:

• sledsports
    started a topic Welding smaller pipe.

Welding smaller pipe.

I have found myself out of my comfort zone welding smaller pipe. 3/4" to 1 1/4" sch 40. I can not seem to pick up my travel speeds fast enough to not "grey" the weld. What are some of you guys favorite tools to fit this small stuff and weld it? I am just a hobbyist but if I'm going to continue this headache I need some tooling. Lay it on me. I am using tig. 3/32 tungsten, 3/32 70-6 filler, about 100 amps, 20 cfh on the argon. Seems like I stall out with slow travel speeds and staying comfortable. Definitely out of my realm of "straight line plate fabrication" . Thanks.
    Last edited by sledsports; 01-29-2019, 03:10 PM.
Working...
X