No announcement yet.

Welding smaller pipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just might get down sledsports' way this spring. Hope so.

Comment

Oscar, nice job on those headers!

Comment

I'll buy the first round of anything except wine.

Comment

C'mon. EVERYBODY comes to Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post

What's missed, is when a person has used oxygen and acetylene gas learning to weld, braze, he walks away knowing heat and temperature, solid too liquid and the principles of so much more that make everything else, easier to understand and grasp, IMO, because it's easy to see happen.
            Perhaps thats why they still teach it in BC. Its the first thing you do, 2 weeks of oxy acetylene welding / brazing and soldering. That was 15 years ago for me and I have never welded with it since. I think I may have brazed once or twice for a job, or maybe it was my own project I can't remember haha. I think welding USED to be a good trade, I don't know if Id recommend it to anyone anymore. Back in the day when SMAW and oxy acetylene was all there was a guy got to lift his head from time to time, have a few minutes to look around while switching out rods. These days with GMAW/FCAW a guy doesn't get a break. Probably why Ive never been much of a shop guy. Safety and QC Nazi's that haven't got a clue have ruined field work aswell. Whenever I look around in the old plants and see of the old welds I think "man those guys had it made." Vissible perosity, undercut, lncomplete penetration, big ol 6010 texas weaves, you name it its there lol. And they were probably making a killing for the time and were well respected.
            www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
            Miller extreme 12vs
            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
            Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Oscar Jr's headers...Those bring back a few memories. Judging by my experiences, effort and rewards, the effort shows, and yes, they came out very nice indeed.

Not to lose track of welding small diameter tubing, my aviation interest was in gas welding a fuselage for a home built. Got as far as a set of plans. 3/4 scale SE5 Bi Plane.
              I heard a while back some guy stole a plane. I'm thinking...the flying part probably isn't that hard, just all the other stuff they make you learn? Kind of like scuba diving and welding?

https://www.itabc.ca/sites/default/files/welder-outline-july-2013.pdf
              https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/SOURCES/PDFS/course_outlines/012_outline.pdf

There was a time when I didn't think much about education. Or politics, the economy, global anything if it wasn't on the news. But I'm including links to the two provincial training programs. The need for a knowledgeable, skilled, transferable work force is seeming the direction of push in Alberta. I like that BC has left it, oxy-fuel, in.

My 1st year training was 4 weeks oxy fuel and 4 weeks SMAW. A lot of Natural Gas Piping was done still in the 70's up to 6".
              I have a gas line that runs to my garage that I gas welded together with a home owners permit. That yellow jacket bad boy has been buried in the ground for a solid 30+ years. Lol...They treated welder's only slightly better back then let me tell you.

- 27 Celsius. In case you didn't know what it looked like. Does it give you a chill? Cause it did me taking the pictures.

Comment

And suddenly everybody but me got promoted!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                  And suddenly everybody but me got promoted!!
                  Some of you need to have a second row started!
                  Richard

Comment

Noel thats awesome that you welded your gas line. I was actually contemplating running the line to my shop with black pipe and wraping it in pvc pipe wrap. I would have needed a 1 1/4 line from the house to the shop and all I could get locally in poly was 1". I ended up getting fortis to put in a new line and meter for free. I read through the gas code and it sounded like as a certified welder I would be allowed to weld gas piping on my own installation? What was the inspectors reaction when he saw your welded pipe haha?

hey atleast were getting back into the topic of welding smaller pipe.

Miller extreme 12vs
                    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

The hard part of installing the gas line was digging the trench. The small details were the isometric drawing the city required to be drawn on the application, I was told it showed home owner trade competence. The "piping legs requirement" , which eludes me visually except why they were required by code to account for frost heave and ground settling.

And while I recall the inspector doing a tape measured visual to the depth of trench, and the visual inspection of welds before things were wrapped and buried, his concern was it held line pressure without a drop in pressure.

But these days as you mentioned, it's all that poly pipe off a roll, hard part is still however the trench.

Here's a pipe story. Got a buddy on a rural acreage who thought he was tired of paying for natural gas so he said, shut my gas off. They did, and the next month, he gets a bill.

For the record, my Carbon Levy on my last bill. $37.71.
                      This government is so going down in the next election. Legal weed isn't buying my vote.

So... he calls then up and asks why. Turns out, they own the line to the house. You don't have to buy gas but unless you don't want our line in the yard anymore, which they would dig out for around $15 grand, your paying rent to keep it there. LOL, right over a barrel.

We were talking small pipe and tube. If I ever move out to the country...I'll be welding mine to the property line.

Comment

I guess if I was your friend I would say come get your pipe but I'm not paying you to take it out? Stop paying the bill, its not like there gonna turn your gas off, but I guess they'll go after your credit. Anyways I realize the gas line was not "free", they're getting the money back from selling you the gas for the life of the property, not to mention the other fees. And although I now have a 2nd meter fee of around $30 a month, I get a comercial rate on the shop which might actually make it cheaper depending on my gas usage. I'm quite happy to have gas on my property. Its the cheapest source of heat as far as Im concerned. I like the "idea" of wood heat but not the practicality. By the time you build a storage shed, get a log splitter, and all the time you spend splitting and stacking wood gas starts to look pretty good.

About the carbon tax, I don't get it. Isnt the idea that the carbon users are paying the tax and those who are carbon negative get a refund? I have 3 acres of forest on my property, Im sure Im carbon negative. Where the heck is my cheque?

Miller extreme 12vs
                        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

What in the blue blazes is a carbon levy?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            What in the blue blazes is a carbon levy?
                            Ask Al Gore
                            Richard

Comment

It's another form of taxation on the poor, middle class, and those freezing butts north of the 49th .

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...n-tax-a-guide/

"Where the money goes:
                              There are many ways the revenue can be used, such as offering rebates to customers, spending it on emission-reducing measures, lowering other taxes or including it as general revenue."
                              Taxation on the poor, middle class, and those freezing butts north of the 49th.
                              Collective suffering. It's what we're good at?
                              Gouge and screw them tax on top adding insult to injury.
                              Tired of, but good at. I just bend over now.

Did you hear we over paid for a pipe line? I mention that in keeping with the thread of things.

Comment

I would oxy acetylene weld that after tacking with 5p+.

Comment

Working...
                                X