Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding smaller pipe.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    Noel, Sledsports, you guys are awesome! Haven't seen work like that in many years. Thank you both for the great stories and pics!
    Thank you for the kind words. I know I am only 42 years old but I am realizing that I'm getting old. I now have war stories that I use to listen too from the ol timers when I was a young punk. Ohhh dont get me started on Train wrecking... I am finding your screen name and profile picture interesting Aeronca41. I took some flying lessons in a piper warrior and cessna 172 when I was in high school. Something I wish I could of afforded when I graduated. I play with a couple of R/C planes every now and then. Nothing fancy. Both ARTF kits. Both high wing trainers. Its relaxing

    Dynasty 400 wireless
    Coolmate 3.5
    Sw320 speedway
    Ck flex lock 230
    4 victor flow meters
    2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
    2 genuine miller torch buttons
    A$$ loads of tungsten
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX feeder
    Stick leads from here to China
    A30 Spool gun
    WC24
    Langmuir crossfire hobby table
    Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
    Harris O/A
    Pet raccoon
    I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      Good lord...if I tried something like that, it would look like a kindergartener has done it. I probably would've got so agitated half way through I'd just slice it in half and throw it in the scrap bin. Who needs a plasmacam with you guys around?
      Thank you Ryan Jones. It's all what and where we started brother. When I got laid off from Weilers Steel my boss told me to take my squares and fitters tools along with my torch. He knew the doors were closing for good as the Weilers were getting old and their children had no interest in the business. He said "i may need them down the road"The newer prefabricated buildings with the stamped out parts and flimsy beams were taking over. We wasnt big enough (18 hourly guys) and would of costed a fortune to bring us up to speed. I went to a little hole In the wall machine shop and learned to tig aluminum with a Miller econotig on some kinda flimsy aluminum thing they were mass producing. I didnt get Into tig until i purchased my first syncrowave 200... then i bought a syncrowave 350lx... my wants got the best of me. Now I have the dynasty 400. Thank you again Guys. To all that have gave me pointers and commented.
      Dynasty 400 wireless
      Coolmate 3.5
      Sw320 speedway
      Ck flex lock 230
      4 victor flow meters
      2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
      2 genuine miller torch buttons
      A$$ loads of tungsten
      XMT 350 CC/CV
      S74DX feeder
      Stick leads from here to China
      A30 Spool gun
      WC24
      Langmuir crossfire hobby table
      Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
      Harris O/A
      Pet raccoon
      I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

      Comment


      • #33
        sledsports--check private messages.

        Comment


        • #34
          I have always been a fan of acetylene.
          I don't really care for how plasma cuts on aluminum. I really don't do much steel either. In fact when I do something out of steel it is for myself at least 90% of the time. Or it's for someone close like a friend or relative. Either way it's cheap or free.
          So we use the torch for heating and bending or pre and post heating and annealing aluminum.
          But in the olden days, I worked in a steel fabrication shop. I was the dude who had to stop my project and cut out your steel order. It made me a pretty good hand with a torch.
          That being said, Noel, I had an experience similar to yours with an old pipe guy about being a "free hand burner" he called it. It was a job I had taken after the steel shop at a bigger shop in the next town. He lectured me and another guy (my best friend at the time) about how difficult it was. He showed us how good he was and then handed me the torch. After that day He hated our guts. He never let up and finally fired us both on the same day.
          We hated on him for a few years after that. But since then I'm thankful. I would have gotten nowhere had I stayed there.
          I have a Powermax 30 and want a 45. But it will never feel as good in my hand as one of my old Victors.

          www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

          Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
            I have always been a fan of acetylene. But it will never feel as good in my hand as one of my old Victors.
            You know that ability & art went away many years ago for most of us...........My dad showed me how to braze & weld with coat hangers and use the cutting torch properly when I was about 10........He was a Millwright / Mechanic in a Steel Mill......and learned early how to weld both with gas and Arc and use torches.......... just after WW 2 broke out before I came along he volunteered for the armed services through his job at the mill , but when a recruitment officer read he could weld.......they pulled him and sent him to a job in the ship yards for the next 4 years while never losing any seniority from his original job. Most of the time welding on Merchant ships in Richmond but also did a stint at Mare Island welding on Subs................

            As a kid under his watchful eye I was always brazing mini-bike or go-kart frames together from conduit or water pipe.......I was always amazed at how ambidextrous he was being able to switch hands mid weld any position or cut while never stopping or lifting the hood............an art I never mastered , I still have & use his torches and Regulators.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by tarry99 View Post

              You know that ability & art went away many years ago for most of us...........My dad showed me how to braze & weld with coat hangers and use the cutting torch properly when I was about 10........He was a Millwright / Mechanic in a Steel Mill......and learned early how to weld both with gas and Arc and use torches.......... just after WW 2 broke out before I came along he volunteered for the armed services through his job at the mill , but when a recruitment officer read he could weld.......they pulled him and sent him to a job in the ship yards for the next 4 years while never losing any seniority from his original job. Most of the time welding on Merchant ships in Richmond but also did a stint at Mare Island welding on Subs................

              As a kid under his watchful eye I was always brazing mini-bike or go-kart frames together from conduit or water pipe.......I was always amazed at how ambidextrous he was being able to switch hands mid weld any position or cut while never stopping or lifting the hood............an art I never mastered , I still have & use his torches and Regulators.
              Great story, thanks for posting
              Richard

              Comment


              • #37
                Real life, real drama, and real people. I enjoy the history stories as well. Interesting are the paths. Such a wealth of knowledge.

                Thinking about it, we either learned from someone, or it was the schools of hard knocks and the streets. The latter two options didn't always bring the best results from what I recall, but they still taught a fella something.

                I understand the weak points made that joining materials or cutting them with Oxy-Fuel processes are from days of old. Relics of the past out of use and favor to more modern processes. I get it. GMAW/FCAW has made welding easier quicker and faster. And PAC, same for cutting and gouging, and with cutting, less HAZ material is effected.

                What's missed, is when a person has used oxygen and acetylene gas learning to weld, braze, he walks away knowing heat and temperature, solid too liquid and the principles of so much more that make everything else, easier to understand and grasp, IMO, because it's easy to see happen.

                How does the song go, you don't know what you got till it's gone? Well, this conversation has also been a reminder to remember. Good stuff.






                Comment


                • #38
                  I haven't done much smaller than about 1.5" but I did custom build two sets of longtube headers back in the day.











                  As was mentioned, proper wrist motion is critical, but one thing that wasn't emphasized was head and body motion. Depending on where and how the joint is oriented, it might necessitate body movement that is almost always stabilized by your core muscles. You can't always weld out the entire joint from one spot/position.
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                  HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                  HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                  HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                  HTP Microcut 875SC

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Noel View Post
                    Real life, real drama, and real people. I enjoy the history stories as well. Interesting are the paths. Such a wealth of knowledge.

                    Thinking about it, we either learned from someone, or it was the schools of hard knocks and the streets. The latter two options didn't always bring the best results from what I recall, but they still taught a fella something.

                    I understand the weak points made that joining materials or cutting them with Oxy-Fuel processes are from days of old. Relics of the past out of use and favor to more modern processes. I get it. GMAW/FCAW has made welding easier quicker and faster. And PAC, same for cutting and gouging, and with cutting, less HAZ material is effected.

                    What's missed, is when a person has used oxygen and acetylene gas learning to weld, braze, he walks away knowing heat and temperature, solid too liquid and the principles of so much more that make everything else, easier to understand and grasp, IMO, because it's easy to see happen.

                    How does the song go, you don't know what you got till it's gone? Well, this conversation has also been a reminder to remember. Good stuff.

                    Well stated, Noel. My dad would never allow me to move to the next process (from soldering to brazing to gas welding to stick--that's all we had back then) until he was confident I could consistently turn out nice work. First I had to be able to heat up a big soldering copper and solder galvanized sheet metal shapes [sal ammoniac block,flux, and bar solder] , then on to brazing, etc. To this day, gas welding is still my favorite process. Love it on 4130 tubing. His words from 60+ years ago still ring--"watch that puddle"; "too much heat on the vertical member--watch your torch angle", "slow down--watch the toes".....and on and on. The principles are the key. I can still remember the day I brazed some adapters to an oil filter, left it to cool on the bench, and went in the house. He came in about a half hour later and said, "Did you braze those adapters on that filter out there today?" When I said yes (and kept my smart teenage mouth from saying something like, "well, who do you think did it, Mom?" He said, "That is perfect--no way to do that job better than you did it." That one comment just drove me to do it the best every time. Sadly, I find it easy to embarrass myself now with my old eyes and lack of practice over these many years. But there is just something magical about moving that puddle around with a gas flame. And you learn stuff doing it that you can apply to many things.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      This thread has been High jacked in the most pleasant way. Thank you all fellas!!! I have enjoyed these amazing stories. So much experience here for sure. You guys are all top notch in my book. Would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee with all of you!
                      Dynasty 400 wireless
                      Coolmate 3.5
                      Sw320 speedway
                      Ck flex lock 230
                      4 victor flow meters
                      2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
                      2 genuine miller torch buttons
                      A$$ loads of tungsten
                      XMT 350 CC/CV
                      S74DX feeder
                      Stick leads from here to China
                      A30 Spool gun
                      WC24
                      Langmuir crossfire hobby table
                      Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
                      Harris O/A
                      Pet raccoon
                      I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by sledsports View Post
                        This thread has been High jacked in the most pleasant way. Thank you all fellas!!! I have enjoyed these amazing stories. So much experience here for sure. You guys are all top notch in my book. Would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee with all of you!
                        We could if people would only let out there location.
                        Some of us travel more than others.

                        www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                        Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Well, if any of you jokers come to southeast Texas, or even the Houston area...I'll buy the first round.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            Well, if any of you jokers come to southeast Texas, or even the Houston area...I'll buy the first round.
                            ok
                            as long as it's still coffee

                            www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                            Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Hope it's good coffee

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	kramer coffee.gif
Views:	126
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	594953
                              Richard

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                                Well, if any of you jokers come to southeast Texas, or even the Houston area...I'll buy the first round.

                                I'm in Houston a few times a year, but unfortunately it's always for work.
                                HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                                HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                                HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                                HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                                HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                                HTP Microcut 875SC

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X