No announcement yet.

Welding smaller pipe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run into welding smaller tubes to larger tubes with the race car junk I weld on fairly regularly. What's generally more trouble is the positioning you find yourself in to get these things welded up. Looks like the doohickey you have there is easily moved around, so that part is handled. But what I do, what helps me when I get these sorts of joints done nicely is this:

I take my time. Make shorter welds if I need to.

I jump around making similar welds, such as the outsides, tops or bottoms, before I have to adjust my tungsten to get into a tighter spot.

I use the biggest gas lense I can get away with because it'll help shield your not-so-perfect torch angles.

Because I'm moving slower, when the joint gets too hot, I stop and let it cool. Sometimes that means I might only get one dab in there at a time.

I also brush the joint up good before I light back up. Any oxidation you got on there from the last arc you carried will just make things exponentially worse when you light back off.

Sometimes a stick of 309 filler will help you get through a tough spot. That 309 will smooth out any porosity or bubbling of the weld puddle.

Every now and then I'll pulse with the foot pedal, and even less frequently I'll set up the high speed pulse. The HSP actually does help, it's just not something I've come accustomed to.

And finally, the most obvious, I focus most of the arc on the heavier pipe and walk it over to the smaller one. Keeping that torch pointed toward the heavier chunk of metal seems to help a little. It's not magic, but it helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by sledsports View Post

Hand torch work is a getting to be a lost art form. Thank you for the kind words guys. I get into several hand cutting projects. I will post more of them instead of my ugly welding lol
      I was lucky to have had a mentor who knew a little bit about the secrets to do it well. I like to think I hold my own with the process? I'm surprised however that most don't place more value to the skills behind quality hand torch cutting, but like welding, it's as deep or shallow as one choose to see it.

I got a few jobs not for my welding abilities but the need for solid torch skills, that's in short supply it seems?

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post

I was lucky to have had a mentor who knew a little bit about the secrets to do it well. I like to think I hold my own with the process? I'm surprised however that most don't place more value to the skills behind quality hand torch cutting, but like welding, it's as deep or shallow as one choose to see it.

I got a few jobs not for my welding abilities but the need for solid torch skills, that's in short supply it seems?
        One of the best posts I've seen for quite awhile

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Good looking work Noel. We are a dying bread for sure with these plasma tables and water jet machines becoming more and more popular and affordable .
          Dynasty 400 wireless
          Coolmate 3.5
          Sw320 speedway
          Ck flex lock 230
          4 victor flow meters
          2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
          2 genuine miller torch buttons
          A$$ loads of tungsten
          XMT 350 CC/CV
          S74DX feeder
          Stick leads from here to China
          A30 Spool gun
          WC24
          Langmuir crossfire hobby table
          Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
          Harris O/A
          Pet raccoon
          I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

One of the best posts I've seen for quite awhile
            I have to agree King
            Dynasty 400 wireless
            Coolmate 3.5
            Sw320 speedway
            Ck flex lock 230
            4 victor flow meters
            A$$ loads of tungsten
            XMT 350 CC/CV
            S74DX feeder
            A30 Spool gun
            WC24
            Harris O/A
            Pet raccoon

Comment

Takes a very steady hand for clean cuts I find. Patience helps aswell and a clean tip. But just like anything the more you do it the better you get at it. Ive done so little torch cutting in the last 10 years. I could weld those fittings togethor, full pen, pass xray everytime in my sleep. But I could not cut that flange out nearly as clean as you did. I embarrassed myself cutting a circle out of some plate the other day. I thought I should slap myself for the dog chewed mess I made haha.
              www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
              Miller extreme 12vs
              Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
              Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Willvis View Post
                Takes a very steady hand for clean cuts I find. Patience helps aswell and a clean tip. But just like anything the more you do it the better you get at it. Ive done so little torch cutting in the last 10 years. I could weld those fittings togethor, full pen, pass xray everytime in my sleep. But I could not cut that flange out nearly as clean as you did. I embarrassed myself cutting a circle out of some plate the other day. I thought I should slap myself for the dog chewed mess I made haha.
                We all have our strengths and weaknesses Will. Just what we have more experience at. I spent 7 out 8 hours with the exact harris I use today in a structural steel shop coping beams, angles, all sorts of different things. I was a kid and my boss handed me a Harris book with the torch new in the box, hand full of different size tips, cleaners and a wire brush. He told me to study it and learn it. We used natural gas and propane at the plant so we had 2 piece tips. I worked with a 1st class fitter, I was 2nd class fitter. I helped lay out and did all of the burning and tacking. Bout 3 years into it I went to 1st class. We hired 3 Boilermakers. 2 went into the weld department running LN9 feeders with 1/16 dual shield. The other I got as a helper. He was in his mid 30s... still just young enough to think he knew everything. He had that "I'm a boilermaker and your a dumba$$ kid" attitude as I was only 21 maybe 22 at the time. Well he helped me layout but I did the burning. About 4 days into it he asked why wouldn't I let him burn? My exact words were "burn this side of the line" and handed him the torch. He couldn't light it. He called it junk and cursed a few mins. My back turned to the blueprints... turned around and lit it and handed it back. He couldn't do it. He cursed and spit. I said here I will do it. I offered to teach but his reply was "I dont need no snooty a$$ kid to tell me how to do anything related to steel". 10 mins later I was short a helper and weiler steel was short a boilermaker. Theres no doubt that guy could do what he did in the Boilermakers but his attitude made him miserable a opportunity to learn something. I would love to teach hand oxy/fuel cutting and welding to someone if they could teach me tig.
                Dynasty 400 wireless
                Coolmate 3.5
                Sw320 speedway
                Ck flex lock 230
                4 victor flow meters
                A$$ loads of tungsten
                XMT 350 CC/CV
                S74DX feeder
                A30 Spool gun
                WC24
                Harris O/A
                Pet raccoon

Comment

Pete was the old guy of the shop. This picture taken circa 1977, reminds me I was 21 years old once upon a time?
                  A truck and trailer shop, we installed gravel boxes, pup hitches and did rig ups for winch trucks. Everything was hand cut and edges ground. My introduction to Pete was him inquiring did I go to school to be a welder or a grinder?

He'd say you need two cutting tips, both should be kept clean, and used wisely. I was in the lane next to his and as luck would have it, I was a willing learner to all the knowledge he was willing to share, which he did freely, with those willing to listen and learn.

My torch skills became what they become due to his guidance and instruction. That the skillful operation of a cutting torch was just as important as laying a pretty bead, and that while anyone could cut a piece of steel off, the guy who knew how did it better.
                  Pete used to call out, hey F@&K stick, I'm going to do something you might want to learn about. He was right, and I did.

He would say, you could be a welder or you could be a professional welder, what do you want to be? I learned there is a right and wrong way to use a broom, a clean space reflects an image of professionalism, and a good tradesman stays on top of the mess he creates.
                  When it came to cutting, proper gas pressure settings and a clean tip is like a sharp knife.

RIP Pete. Gone but not forgotten.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the torch skills. Part of the reason I never had a need for plasma cutting? But I know it's not magic, I know it's a valuable skill, and in full agreement in it being a lost art, under taught skill to have, hold and apply. I'm more impressed with torch skills then welding so when I see something hand cut smooth clean and square, I'm impressed.

Back in my days of instructing, I would cut trophies out for top marks, performance, special occasions, and practice. My signature piece was enlarging someone's signature and cutting it out as a going away gift.
                  Had one gal in a class of 29 guys who stood out in the crowd. Smart, keen to learn, excellent hand skills and a personality that made her good with people.
                  She asked if I could cut this image out for her and well...do a couple of these in a class and it isn't long before the kids start to show some game with the torches so I said sure.
                  It was photo copied to paper, glued to a Manilla folder, cut with an exactor blade and traced in soap stone to a chunk of plate. I still have the pattern if anyone is interested?

Anyways...I hope folks reading get inspired, learn more and get better with those torch skills. Seems we are in agreement to the value they hold at home and industry.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Pete was the old guy of the shop. This picture taken circa 1977, reminds me I was 21 years old once upon a time?
                    A truck and trailer shop, we installed gravel boxes, pup hitches and did rig ups for winch trucks. Everything was hand cut and edges ground. My introduction to Pete was him inquiring did I go to school to be a welder or a grinder?

He'd say you need two cutting tips, both should be kept clean, and used wisely. I was in the lane next to his and as luck would have it, I was a willing learner to all the knowledge he was willing to share, which he did freely, with those willing to listen and learn.

My torch skills became what they become due to his guidance and instruction. That the skillful operation of a cutting torch was just as important as laying a pretty bead, and that while anyone could cut a piece of steel off, the guy who knew how did it better.
                    Pete used to call out, hey F@&K stick, I'm going to do something you might want to learn about. He was right, and I did.

He would say, you could be a welder or you could be a professional welder, what do you want to be? I learned there is a right and wrong way to use a broom, a clean space reflects an image of professionalism, and a good tradesman stays on top of the mess he creates.
                    When it came to cutting, proper gas pressure settings and a clean tip is like a sharp knife.

RIP Pete. Gone but not forgotten.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the torch skills. Part of the reason I never had a need for plasma cutting? But I know it's not magic, I know it's a valuable skill, and in full agreement in it being a lost art, under taught skill to have, hold and apply. I'm more impressed with torch skills then welding so when I see something hand cut smooth clean and square, I'm impressed.

Back in my days of instructing, I would cut trophies out for top marks, performance, special occasions, and practice. My signature piece was enlarging someone's signature and cutting it out as a going away gift.
                    Had one gal in a class of 29 guys who stood out in the crowd. Smart, keen to learn, excellent hand skills and a personality that made her good with people.
                    She asked if I could cut this image out for her and well...do a couple of these in a class and it isn't long before the kids start to show some game with the torches so I said sure.
                    It was photo copied to paper, glued to a Manilla folder, cut with an exactor blade and traced in soap stone to a chunk of plate. I still have the pattern if anyone is interested?

Anyways...I hope folks reading get inspired, learn more and get better with those torch skills. Seems we are in agreement to the value they hold at home and industry.
                    Thanks again.

Noel I pretty sure you are better than I am sir. Very sharp work my friend. Now I'm gonna have to go lite up on something to get honed it so I can post it.
                    Dynasty 400 wireless
                    Coolmate 3.5
                    Sw320 speedway
                    Ck flex lock 230
                    4 victor flow meters
                    A$$ loads of tungsten
                    XMT 350 CC/CV
                    S74DX feeder
                    A30 Spool gun
                    WC24
                    Harris O/A
                    Pet raccoon

Comment

Don't sell yourself my short friend, remember it was your skills that I noticed in the first place. All I did was add some fancy. But thank you. And remember, you can do fancy.

I've attached a few more pictures in the interest of sharing and encouraging others. Everything from fire pits to book ends. Some see scrap, I see a blank canvas.
                      I always thought I 'd be more crafty, but I'm not? I'm just good with a torch, and tracing really well.

The Thug Life and music note was my son's attempt at fancy when I enrolled him in a evening class to get him started on what I figured was a easy and profitable path to follow? Seems I was wrong? But he's a good kid and chose a different path. By all accounts, a poorer path. Guess he's a horse? Lol.

The peace sign was a gift from a student. Reminds me I might have done some good during that time? I don't remember his name, but I recall the student was struggling on a number of levels to complete the program. Sometimes just a little extra help goes a long way and in this case, it was appreciated. I kept it as a reminder not to get comfortable in my job and the expectations placed upon me in the role of instructor.

I keep thinking I should do a you tube video on the cutting process. Not that it hasn't been done, just that it needs to be explained a little "better" then what I've seen produced?

If your interested, let me know and I'll do what I do best these days, take pictures and type. Being that it's to cold for much else, I seemingly have some time to do so and I enjoy seeing the results of that kind of effort.

Oh yea...and when it comes to moose's, mine has the biggest.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_010523.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	594915Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_010609.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	594912Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_010620.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	594913Click image for larger version

Name:	20190203_010509.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	594914 bout the best I got for you Noel. I'm a little rusty. I can only cut It as good as I could draw it. Yep that this same exact Harris my boss handed me 20 some years ago. That's what I burnt it out with. You are the master my friend . Thank you for the kind words Noel.
                        Attached Files
                        Dynasty 400 wireless
                        Coolmate 3.5
                        Sw320 speedway
                        Ck flex lock 230
                        4 victor flow meters
                        A$$ loads of tungsten
                        XMT 350 CC/CV
                        S74DX feeder
                        A30 Spool gun
                        WC24
                        Harris O/A
                        Pet raccoon

Comment

That just put a smile to my face! A big old grin ear to ear. Well done indeed!

Comment

Noel, Sledsports, you guys are awesome! Haven't seen work like that in many years. Thank you both for the great stories and pics!

Comment

Good lord...if I tried something like that, it would look like a kindergartener has done it. I probably would've got so agitated half way through I'd just slice it in half and throw it in the scrap bin. Who needs a plasmacam with you guys around?

Comment

That just put a smile to my face! A big old grin ear to ear. Well done indeed!
                                Theres 2 bad mistakes I wouldn't of normally made in that cut. One being in the lower tube and one in the oxidizer stream near the tip. You inspired me to get out in the shop to do that. Check you PMs Noel.
                                Dynasty 400 wireless
                                Coolmate 3.5
                                Sw320 speedway
                                Ck flex lock 230
                                4 victor flow meters
                                A$$ loads of tungsten
                                XMT 350 CC/CV
                                S74DX feeder
                                A30 Spool gun
                                WC24
                                Harris O/A
                                Pet raccoon

Comment

Working...
                                X