Welding smaller pipe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding smaller pipe.

I have found myself out of my comfort zone welding smaller pipe. 3/4" to 1 1/4" sch 40. I can not seem to pick up my travel speeds fast enough to not "grey" the weld. What are some of you guys favorite tools to fit this small stuff and weld it? I am just a hobbyist but if I'm going to continue this headache I need some tooling. Lay it on me. I am using tig. 3/32 tungsten, 3/32 70-6 filler, about 100 amps, 20 cfh on the argon. Seems like I stall out with slow travel speeds and staying comfortable. Definitely out of my realm of "straight line plate fabrication" . Thanks.
    Last edited by sledsports; 01-29-2019, 03:10 PM.
    Dynasty 400 wireless
    Coolmate 3.5
    Sw320 speedway
    Ck flex lock 230
    4 victor flow meters
    2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
    2 genuine miller torch buttons
    A$$ loads of tungsten
    XMT 350 CC/CV
    S74DX feeder
    Stick leads from here to China
    A30 Spool gun
    WC24
    Langmuir crossfire hobby table
    Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
    Harris O/A
    Pet raccoon
    I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Not an expert here, but I will comment that smaller dia is always more difficult, you have to constantly change the torch angle (compared to larger dia pipe) while progressing with the weld.

Certainly practice is key, no secret about that.

Hope someone with more hands on will join in.
    Richard

Comment

Maybe some pictures or an explanation of what your doing would help. Butt joints or fillets? Amperage doesn't seem too bad maybe a bit hot. Try go down a bit and see if that helps. A large cup like a #12 may help a bit. Its a must when doing small stainless like that but usually mild is ok with a #8. Other than that practice, practice, practice lol
      www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
      Miller extreme 12vs
      Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
      Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Dynasty 400 wireless
        Coolmate 3.5
        Sw320 speedway
        Ck flex lock 230
        4 victor flow meters
        A$$ loads of tungsten
        XMT 350 CC/CV
        S74DX feeder
        A30 Spool gun
        WC24
        Harris O/A
        Pet raccoon

Comment

It's all in the movement of the wrist.
          About a quarter of the pipe at a time. Maybe less.
          Then stop. Reposition. Twist the wrist and repeat. Could you be running hot? Could you use a smaller filler rod? Could you reshape the profile of tungsten? I'm going to say yes, yes, and yes but...it's all in he wrist, not the elbow or arm or contortion of the body. As mentioned, practice. Repeat.

Comment

These clamps work pretty good but not cheap.
            https://www.mathey.com/Pages/clamp-quik-fit.htm

Sometimes a piece of angle iron and chain grips works but not very well on elbows. I saw some cool looking magnetic clamps with a flexible arm that might work well. Otherwise get good at holding the piece and taking. Not too difficult if your butting the fittings up like your doing. A lot more tricky when your trying to set a gap for open root.

As Noel said its alot in the wrist on that small stuff. Rest your hand on the pipe and roll your wrist as you go. Put an extra old gloves under your hand if the pipes too hot. Im also thinking (without trying so going off memory) 100 is too hot. Try around 85. 1/16 rod can make it a bit easier aswell. Flows a bit better with less heat but 3/32 works fine.

Miller extreme 12vs
            Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

As others have stated it is all about the wrist.......or should I say it's the range of motion of the wrist.........going around a joint is easy as long as you can re-position the part several times that fits within your range of motion..........before striking an arc I run my range of motion first and if the part needs to be re-positioned or I need to move I do so. Sometimes it's also the view getting blocked off......I'm also not to crazy about Tig welding black pipe.........even though I seen you cleaned it.....black pipe is about the lowest grade of steel out there and very dirty.

Comment

Most of those joints can be put onto a rotating positioner.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                  even though I seen you cleaned it.....black pipe is about the lowest grade of steel out there and very dirty.
                  I disagree somewhat. Its just mild steel pipe. Ive welded hundreds (maybe thousands?) Of xray joints with it. If you clean all paint and crap off it will weld perfectly fine. I do agree that its gross to weld sometimes. But that cause of the oil and paint that burns off as your welding. And since most of the fittings are from china or another asian country who knows what theyre putting in that paint. Painting and oiling the fittings should be banned in my opinion. Who cares about a bit of surface rust. No one gives 2 $hits about the guy who has to weld it and breathe those fumes though

Miller extreme 12vs
                  Thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Comment

Sledsports, I'm going to comment again after looking over your pictures.
                    I like it.

If I might, I'd like to ask a few questions and offer some further advice. Why didn't you use GMAW? Why did you Choose GTAW? And if you had to choose a second time, would you still uses GTAW?

Now some advice. Watch the current and arc length. When it comes to GTAW, welding hot because it's quick hurts more then it helps. I noticed a few spots that appeared "Hot". Washed out. Puddle fluidity and issues with filling. Width as well has changed. That says lost control? It happens.

I toured the Kennedy Space Center and looked at the welds on every rocket engine and structure I could find. The thoughts as I looked them over were not that they looked cold, but that they looked controllable.

Nice job cutting the header flange. Now think of that GTAW weld like that cut. Just enough heat to sustain it and travel smoothly. Dip, dip, dip...1/16", Dip...dip...dip...3/32". Then again, some just watch it dribble and stream?

Unsolicited as It is, my next piece of advice might raise eyebrows... take it with a grain of salt.

I think you would have achieved the same results but better with GMAW. The better would have been that if you were charging for the service, following the do no harm approach, you'd have saved labour, consumable costs and process cost arc on time. Nothing wrong doing GTAW , but it shouldn't always be the first choice just because it's cool.

I'd have suggest, do you think GMAW is a viable option? Call it stacking dime hot GMAW, spot, spot, spot, spot... does it get easier?
                    Truth be told you could have used SMAW with a AC transformer and E6011. It is what it is right? Stick them together, seal it up, voila, a manifold?

A while back I had a similar project come my way. Turbo charger installation and home made manifolds. Anyhow, I know the work, you got it done, and I'm sure if another is in the cards or comes your way, it'll get easier. Usually better.

Like a gas station that fills tire with a hand pump over a compressor, cause it gives it a personal touch? Lol? That just came to me?
                    You've been doing lots, posting plenty (I like pictures) and you got the coolest pet. And I hope you think about what I mentioned with a open and broadening mind.

While I can attest to having a guess on what you had hoped to accomplish, a nicely wrapped band of consistent ripples, it's about controlling the variables that make it happen.

My last advice, grab a pipe and start reducing the current. Slow the process down a notch, and practice rolling the wrist. 1/4 at a time. 3 to 12. Start at the far end, work towards your self. Every inch closer do another. Don't let the pipe get to hot.
                    Call it dialing in or what ever you want but really what's happening is your discovering the relationship between what you melt and how quickly you react while keep working variables consistent.
                    Pay attention to the current and arc length. See what a lower current does with a short or lengthened arc length? For giggles, see what happens when you adjust arc control?

Food for thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Noel View Post
                      Sledsports, I'm going to comment again after looking over your pictures.
                      I like it.

If I might, I'd like to ask a few questions and offer some further advice. Why didn't you use GMAW? Why did you Choose GTAW? And if you had to choose a second time, would you still uses GTAW?

Now some advice. Watch the current and arc length. When it comes to GTAW, welding hot because it's quick hurts more then it helps. I noticed a few spots that appeared "Hot". Washed out. Puddle fluidity and issues with filling. Width as well has changed. That says lost control? It happens.

I toured the Kennedy Space Center and looked at the welds on every rocket engine and structure I could find. The thoughts as I looked them over were not that they looked cold, but that they looked controllable.

Nice job cutting the header flange. Now think of that GTAW weld like that cut. Just enough heat to sustain it and travel smoothly. Dip, dip, dip...1/16", Dip...dip...dip...3/32". Then again, some just watch it dribble and stream?

Unsolicited as It is, my next piece of advice might raise eyebrows... take it with a grain of salt.

I think you would have achieved the same results but better with GMAW. The better would have been that if you were charging for the service, following the do no harm approach, you'd have saved labour, consumable costs and process cost arc on time. Nothing wrong doing GTAW , but it shouldn't always be the first choice just because it's cool.

I'd have suggest, do you think GMAW is a viable option? Call it stacking dime hot GMAW, spot, spot, spot, spot... does it get easier?
                      Truth be told you could have used SMAW with a AC transformer and E6011. It is what it is right? Stick them together, seal it up, voila, a manifold?

A while back I had a similar project come my way. Turbo charger installation and home made manifolds. Anyhow, I know the work, you got it done, and I'm sure if another is in the cards or comes your way, it'll get easier. Usually better.

Like a gas station that fills tire with a hand pump over a compressor, cause it gives it a personal touch? Lol? That just came to me?
                      You've been doing lots, posting plenty (I like pictures) and you got the coolest pet. And I hope you think about what I mentioned with a open and broadening mind.

While I can attest to having a guess on what you had hoped to accomplish, a nicely wrapped band of consistent ripples, it's about controlling the variables that make it happen.

My last advice, grab a pipe and start reducing the current. Slow the process down a notch, and practice rolling the wrist. 1/4 at a time. 3 to 12. Start at the far end, work towards your self. Every inch closer do another. Don't let the pipe get to hot.
                      Call it dialing in or what ever you want but really what's happening is your discovering the relationship between what you melt and how quickly you react while keep working variables consistent.
                      Pay attention to the current and arc length. See what a lower current does with a short or lengthened arc length? For giggles, see what happens when you adjust arc control?

Food for thought?

You nailed it brother. You nailed it to the tee!. You can bet the next time I do one of these buggers its gonna be done a little differently. I choose the wrong process for the experience I have with the material. The 2 didnt go together because of the guy behind the hood for sure on this. Yes It was a freebie for a relative's little OG Crawler he is tinkering with. It turned out functional. Thank you for the kind words on the hand burning. I've got a lot of hours in a structural shop with the exact Harris that cut that behind a #5 face shield. My first reasoning for choosing the process was "itll be a good learning experience". Yea I learned I should of got me a whole bunch of scraps and dialed myself and the machine in. By the time I got it finished I was ready to pull my hair out. I was never so ready to put the thing on the mill and face it off flat in all my life. I was a total lose of control continuously. I have did some headers and intake manolds before but this thing gave me the heebie geebies.
                      Dynasty 400 wireless
                      Coolmate 3.5
                      Sw320 speedway
                      Ck flex lock 230
                      4 victor flow meters
                      A$$ loads of tungsten
                      XMT 350 CC/CV
                      S74DX feeder
                      A30 Spool gun
                      WC24
                      Harris O/A
                      Pet raccoon

Comment

Experience they say is a wonderful teacher... so is time. Functional works.
                        Once a guy gets past perfection as the end goal, with failure if it isn't reached as what's left, it gets easier. The next one is always better.

10 points for weld appearance. Size, shape, uniformity. None of those three do anything for functionality, but they do suggest ability to control something?

I was told the hard part of welding was stopping? The moments response of ego over common sense. I can do this? That little bit of practice, even going in hot, if you learn when to stop, let things cool, you stay in control.

Admittedly, when you see a weld that scores 9-10 on appearance the guy who's done it has things dialed in, is robot consistent and has the eye hand coordination of a Singer sewing machine. I'm not him either. But I have learned that stopping, repositioning, regaining control sooner yields better results.

I thought it was great you posted it, and the effort you went through, commendable. Not enough to push me off the couch to visit the shop but it has me thinking I should get after a few projects left undone? Keep a strain on.

Comment

Thank you. I am starting to get back into the swing of things. I purchased this Dynasty 400 new last winter replacing my syncrowave 350 Lx and my health took a turn for the worse. I haven't had this machine setup too awfully long. Had some programming issues at first . It's like learning all over again.
                          Last edited by sledsports; 01-31-2019, 05:35 PM. Reason: Because im almost illiterate
                          Dynasty 400 wireless
                          Coolmate 3.5
                          Sw320 speedway
                          Ck flex lock 230
                          4 victor flow meters
                          A$$ loads of tungsten
                          XMT 350 CC/CV
                          S74DX feeder
                          A30 Spool gun
                          WC24
                          Harris O/A
                          Pet raccoon

Comment

I just saw the last picture--have to second Noel's comment--Nice torch work! That is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                              I just saw the last picture--have to second Noel's comment--Nice torch work! That is a beautiful thing.
                              Hand torch work is a getting to be a lost art form. Thank you for the kind words guys. I get into several hand cutting projects. I will post more of them instead of my ugly welding lol
                              Dynasty 400 wireless
                              Coolmate 3.5
                              Sw320 speedway
                              Ck flex lock 230
                              4 victor flow meters
                              A$$ loads of tungsten
                              XMT 350 CC/CV
                              S74DX feeder
                              A30 Spool gun
                              WC24
                              Harris O/A
                              Pet raccoon

Comment

Working...
                              X