X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clint738
    replied
    Originally posted by Noel View Post
    I don't do cheap when safety is an issue.

I don't think the two necessarily relate? Other wise we'd all be hostage to big pharma? Then again, I'm not ordering my drugs on line either? But I did order a roll of wire recently that met an AWS spec.? No name and cheap. If the darn thing was made in China, with a package that said made in USA because it was rolled onto small spools from a big drum, slapped with a label, what would we have to say about it? Probably good price.
    What I mean by "don't do cheap when safety is an issue" is that I'm not just going to go pick up a rod I have that is 10 years old, not stored properly to weld a column to a floor plate, nor anything else that I don't need the quality of the rod affecting the integrity of the weld. I'd just by a new box. However, I do want whatever that new box is to be a good brand that would be x-ray quality.

Leave a comment:

• clint738
    replied
    Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
    I finally got so frustrated I went and bought a roll of Hobart wire. No more issues since. I threw the Radnor away, and obviously haven't bought any since.
    When I had a MM140C mig it came with Hobart wire. Once I realized most of my applications exceeded its ability I sold it and bought a MM252. I continue to use Hobart wire and have never had any issues with it. I like the Hobart wire and do use their stick electrodes often. But wanted to get some Excaliber rods and Fleetweld rods for when I'm welding something that I want to support some weight, like my roof.

Leave a comment:

• clint738
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Where are you at? I have a small rod oven sitting around, only holds 10 lbs. Works really good... I really want a bench top size one. Somewhere in the 200 lbs range so I can buy larger cans.
    I'm near Abilene, TX. It is about 3hrs west of Dallas/Ft Worth.

I thought about maybe making a rod oven that way it would have slots for the 50lb cans to slide into. That way I don't have to fiddle with taking the rods out of the cans to load it. It is on my to do list LOL. Figure I'll frame a box with angle iron and then put a thin sheet metal skin on it. Then put a heavier box inside with ceramic fiber insulation between the two boxes. The inner box I'd just run an electric stove element in the bottom with a guard around it like expanded metal. Then a thermistor to monitor the temperature and control the electric stove element with a contactor or I'd use an IGBT (I have some Monster size IGBTs I can use). Was going to display the internal temperature on the outside with a 7-segment display or use a 4 line by 20 character LCD with some buttons to allow adjustments for the rod oven set point... That at least is the plan down the road. For now, just need a small oven to keep my 7018 dry.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    That's two votes for Hobart rod. I'll have to grab some and see how they chooch.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Every filler we use here is Hobart these days. They seem to be higher quality. I would more than likely do the same on stick rods that I kept on hand.... if I ever got thru the piles of crap I have had for life, it seems.
    Plus Miller/Hobart have other brands too.

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Just a fact of personal experience. I was ready to start troubleshooting the old MM200--thought it had finally given up delivering gas to the nozzle intermittently. I thought of those welds when someone (I think it may have been Noel) posted the picture of Santa Claus in December, with the caption, "I've seen your welds; you're getting a grinder for Christmas!" (Not that I'm incapable of making welds that need a grinder without help from the materials ).

I think the Chinese will make whatever sells (and there's nothing wrong with that), and there are millions of people in America who will buy the cheapest thing in the store; someone has to satisfy that market. They make all the iphones and ipads, to the best of my knowledge, and those seem to work pretty well. It is sad that there seem to be few things that we can make at competitive prices in this country any more, but I wonder if we've done that to ourselves with taxes and regulations. There are a few notable exceptions--Ruger comes to mind-- where we seem to be able to be very competitive. But overall, we often seem to be engaged in the proverbial "race to the bottom".

Reminds me of the Japanese import stuff for the first decade following WWII. They thought we wanted cheap junk, and were happy to make it for us. "Made in Japan" back then had the same or worse connotation as "Made in China" today. When they found that wasn't what we wanted, along came Honda, Toyota, Yamaha, Sony, Nikon, Canon......and now "Made in Japan" speaks of highest world-class quality. And ironically, it was in large part driven by W. Edwards Deming, an American whose application of what he called the Shewhart Cycle was sort of ignored here, but rapidly adopted by the Japanese. To this day, the Deming Award is a very prestigious accomplishment for Japanese business.

I suspect that most of those on this forum don't always buy the cheapest thing on the shelf, which is why Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, etc. are still in business.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    I'm glad you posted that info about the wire, Wayne. I think you and I have talked about that before. If the wire is that inconsistent, one can only figure the rod is as well. It's probably a safe bet.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    He clearly said he wanted a rod oven for 7018, not 6010.

Radnor maybe a town in PA, but it's the Airgas house label name. Not sure when the last time you were in an Airgas branch, but everything with the radnor name on it I found was made in China. I didn't say it was bad. I said it was made in China.

And he said the Airgas sales rep told him Lincoln makes the rod for their house brand. Maybe they do, so it's either made in America or made in Mexico. But since everything else I saw in their branch with the radnor name on it was made in China, I passed that information on.

"Craftsman" "crescent" "vise-grip" doesn't sound Chinese either does it? Any guess where those brands are made?

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Radnor is Airgas's house brand, in fact named after Radnor, PA. I bought a 10-12 lb. roll of their ER70S-6, stamped made in China, but they assured me it was good wire (naturally!). Most of it was, but every now and then I would start putting down horrible looking welds; looked like someone turned off the gas. I quickly found that if I would pull 20' or so of the wire out and toss it, and start again, it would be fine. I finally got so frustrated I went and bought a roll of Hobart wire. No more issues since. I threw the Radnor away, and obviously haven't bought any since.
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 01-24-2019, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    http://www.airgas.com/product/Weldin.../p/RAD64001014

Stuff meets AWS spec. I'm not sure who actually makes it but I've also never used it.
    I'm not sure how you figure made in China...? Especially since there is a Radnor Pennsylvania? Radnor doesn't sound Chinese to me? Not that Chinese product is necessarily a bad thing is it if it's made to AWS spec.??? But I get the Made in America show.

Who stick's E6010 in a rod oven?
    https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...es-detail.aspx

Some like Ford's, some like Dodge some like Chev. Everyone else would rather drive something then walk it seems?

"
    I don't do cheap when safety is an issue".

I don't think the two necessarily relate? Other wise we'd all be hostage to big pharma? Then again, I'm not ordering my drugs on line either? But I did order a roll of wire recently that met an AWS spec.? No name and cheap. If the darn thing was made in China, with a package that said made in USA because it was rolled onto small spools from a big drum, slapped with a label, what would we have to say about it? Probably good price.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Where are you at? I have a small rod oven sitting around, only holds 10 lbs. Works really good. I just upgraded to a slightly larger 50lbs rod oven. I had to upgrade because sometimes I need 1/8, sometimes I need 3/32. I buy the rod in 10 lbs cans, so I had to get a bigger one. I really want a bench top size one. Somewhere in the 200 lbs range so I can buy larger cans.

Leave a comment:

• clint738
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Everything radnor I've encountered has been Chinese. I can't speak with authority on that though. And as far as the Lincoln rod I have on hand, every metal can is made in USA, every plastic box rod I have is hecho in Mexico. I just looked, so I can somewhat speak to the accuracy of that tid but.
    Thanks for the info Ryan! Can't beat the accuracy of reading the label right off the container.
    Guess I'll look around a bit for a good online supplier and then buy a few metal cans of Excaliber and Fleetweld when I get close to modifying my building. I don't do cheap when safety is an issue, so I'll stick with made in USA. Also need to make or buy a rod oven to keep the 7018 in good shape and then need to get some wiring done for the old welder to run in the new shop.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Everything radnor I've encountered has been Chinese. I can't speak with authority on that though. And as far as the Lincoln rod I have on hand, every metal can is made in USA, every plastic box rod I have is hecho in Mexico. I just looked, so I can somewhat speak to the accuracy of that tid but.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    replied
    AWS say if it meets a standard of product it's a 6010. I'm sure the Radnor does, although the coating recipe could be different or vary from the 5P?

Same could be said for this recipe to make chicken taste KFC?
    I'm thinking however that if you dipped pigeon instead of chicken you could fool some people? Hungry is hungry and catching a break getting a free meal doesn't hurt and by my accounting is a good thing. Go feed that steel.

Leave a comment:

• clint738
    replied
    That was a great video! I really liked the demonstration of the hydrogen in the mineral oil.
    Visually demonstrates why preheat and post heating are so important.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X