Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MasterKwan
    replied
    I used it to repair the hood of my car which had an 8" long strip of rusted out sheet metal. The benefit of the SI-BR is the low melting point which gets you less distortion. I used it in my Miller 211 with both argon and mix gas. I think it worked better with mix-gas (75/25).

I cut and trimmed a mostly fitting strip of sheet, formed to match the curve of the hood then tacked then welder it in. For this, it worked pretty well.

I just used a relatively normal WFS, sounds almost like your wire was slipping on the drive wheels or getting hung up in the gun.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Haven't checked it off my list yet.

Leave a comment:

• Noel
    started a topic GMAW-Silicon Bronze Wire

GMAW-Silicon Bronze Wire

I learned how to weld before I knew how to weld. Most do I think?

It was, someone saying, "watch how I do it", followed up with, "now you try", or " this is how you do it". Monkey see, monkey do.

So when asked pointedly, if I ever actually Gas Metal Arc Welded with a silicon bronze wire, I had to say a bit sheepishly... No.
    I hadn't... rather I didn't. I'm ER70S-6 in different diameter sizes. Aluminum, Stainless, FCAW, but no to silicon bronze.
    But how hard could it be right?

Turns out, not very? Then again, I didn't spend much time playing around either? I also didn't just buy a welder so the learning curve wasn't very steep?
    But I scratched it off the list.

As you peruse the pictures, an hour passes. In that time, was the change to Argon, .035 tip, over coming trouble with spool tension, drive roll tension griping the wire to feed consistently, and poor drive motor pressure to spin and do so at a low WFS?
    Then to discover, only with the WFS almost maxed out that it would? Not sure what that's about as I didn't dig deeper, just wanted to get it done. And I did, good enough.

The goal was to find out, did it weld like every thing else, and the answer was yes. Just slightly different.

While the coupon were previously tacked with solid wire on the ends, my first few attempts squeezing the trigger were sputtering, and with limited WFS adjustment as I discovered, I knew I was relying on stick out and travel speed. Using up the untacked side, I went to town with out much more thinking. Flipped the stairs over and laid a few more fillets down. The little squiggly thing was my wrapping up the effort thinking, yea, it's do able? One bird nest of a length, a few trims of excess. That and the 20" on the other side, my experience level to talk about it.

Anyways...it's off the list. Now I have to dig a bit deeper on the feed issue? While I'm sure bumping voltage will flatten and spread the bead, I see 18 gauge and I don't want a 3/16" fillet. But, If I bump the voltage, pull a longer stick out, move faster, it's not cutting back WFS, but it's almost a close enough second to doing so to narrow the bead, and with a slight push to flatten travel faster depositing less? I may go back out and try again, I doubt it though?

That's my story on the stuff. Your experience may be different. Hopefully better.

Working...
X