Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Bobcat 225 Maintenance Question ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Bobcat 225 Maintenance Question ???

I have a Miller Bobcat 225 Welder Generator that I bought strictly for standby power purposes. I bought it new about 6 yrs ago and it only has 39 hrs. run time on it. Mostly from exercising the power portion of it. Even though it has low hours, I decided to change the oil and filter on it. The Kohler manual for the 23 HP engine says it holds 2 quarts of oil including the filter. I changed the oil and filter using genuine Kohler parts. The filter was the exact same part number. Ran it for about 15 minutes and then shut it down. I found that the oil level was reading high on the stick. I removed oil until it read right on the FULL mark. 8 ounces of oil was removed or 1/4 of a quart. Can't figure out why this happened when the manual calls for 2 quarts. When I check the level, I screw the dipstick in until it stops. Am I checking the level correctly? When changing the oil I also found an issue that could have had disastrous results. The engine has a plastic valve that requires no wrench to drain the crankcase. That valve mounts in a bushing which screws into the block. When draining the oil out, I found this bushing to be loose. It had Teflon tape on it and it was not leaking at all, but still too loose for my liking. I was able to turn it probably 1 to 1 1/2 turns with my fingers. I finished tightening it with a thin crows foot wrench. Glad I found that issue. Anyone have any ideas on the oil capacity issue? Was thinking about calling Kohler to see if there was any factory recall issues on this. Appreciate all input and comments. I don't want to over fill the engine with oil and cause a problem.

the oil dip stick should not be screwed in just drop it in and check

Comment

My bobcat has the Subaru engine and in the engine manual it says 1.64 qts.

Comment

The book that came with my Kohler engine says it holds 2 qts. when you change the filter. So if you are not supposed to screw in the dipstick when you check it, maybe the oil level was ok. It was about 1/4 inch above the full mark on the stick. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Maybe not all the old oil drained out?

My gut says that 1/4" wasn't too much oil, but that's just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by reidxv View Post
            I have a Miller Bobcat 225 Welder Generator that I bought strictly for standby power purposes. I bought it new about 6 yrs ago and it only has 39 hrs. run time on it. Mostly from exercising the power portion of it. Even though it has low hours, I decided to change the oil and filter on it. The Kohler manual for the 23 HP engine says it holds 2 quarts of oil including the filter. I changed the oil and filter using genuine Kohler parts. The filter was the exact same part number. Ran it for about 15 minutes and then shut it down. I found that the oil level was reading high on the stick. I removed oil until it read right on the FULL mark. 8 ounces of oil was removed or 1/4 of a quart. Can't figure out why this happened when the manual calls for 2 quarts. When I check the level, I screw the dipstick in until it stops. Am I checking the level correctly? When changing the oil I also found an issue that could have had disastrous results. The engine has a plastic valve that requires no wrench to drain the crankcase. That valve mounts in a bushing which screws into the block. When draining the oil out, I found this bushing to be loose. It had Teflon tape on it and it was not leaking at all, but still too loose for my liking. I was able to turn it probably 1 to 1 1/2 turns with my fingers. I finished tightening it with a thin crows foot wrench. Glad I found that issue. Anyone have any ideas on the oil capacity issue? Was thinking about calling Kohler to see if there was any factory recall issues on this. Appreciate all input and comments. I don't want to over fill the engine with oil and cause a problem.
            I hope the oil you drained wasnt 6yrs old.

Comment

I hadn't thought about that, but why SHOULD oil degrade from age, especially if it had been circulated around the engine every few months or so, commiserate with an infrequently used standy-by generator? There are places that use bypass or other ultra-filtration in their oil systems and use oil almost indefinitely.

Or is standard motor oil full of additives that degrade it like they do with gasoline?

Would it matter if it was synthetic or juiced dinosaur?

Comment

Yes, the oil was the original oil that was in the engine when I bought it. When it came out, it was very clean. Remember, the unit only has 39 hours on it. The reason I changed it was that I recently read that due to temperature changes, moisture can build up in the oil. I did not find this the case. I think oil changes depend on operating conditions. Oil manufacturers are in business to sell us oil. But it doesn't make any sense to not do frequent changes when the cost of 2 quarts of oil and a filter is so low. In a gas generator, fuel degradation is a much more serious concern. I treat my fuel with Stabil. I do the double dose which is good for 2 years. I record the date the tank is filled and when it is 2 yrs old, if I have not burned it up, I pump the tank dry with a 12 volt pump and replace it with fresh fuel. I then burn the fuel I drain out in my vehicles. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions I have received on the oil level issue. Since I first posted, I dug out the Kohler engine manual and found that it does state, in BOLD print, you check the oil by just pushing the stick until it bottoms out. You do not screw it down to read it.

Comment

Drain the oil down untill it’s midway between the low and high mark on the dip stick.
                  Your fuel pump is a pulse type operation pump. It operates on crankcase pulse vaccume. If oil level is too high in the engine, it can cause rradic fuel pump operation and the motor won’t run properly.
                  Mom my bobcat, I have a piece of old washing machine water hose that fits onto the plastic drain valve and extends out side of the shroud to make draining oil easier and less messy.
                  Lincoln Idealarc 250
                  Miller Bobcat 250
                  Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                  Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Put the 2 quarts in it.......not going to hurt....if the oil level is too low after setting for a few weeks you'll get the next surprise that it will not start until you add oil. Oil cutoff sensor...

Comment

If you over fill the 23 hp kohler engine (with a carb and pulse type fuel pump) with oil, it will hurt.
                      If you look in the manual, it will say in capital letters, DO NOT OVER Fill OIL ABOVE THE HiGH MARK on the dip stick. It can cause improper fuel pump operation and engine running problems. Ask me how I know.
                      there is a low oil shutdown on the engine. As long as your oil level is between the low and high mark on the dip stick, your good to go.
                      Last edited by snoeproe; 01-12-2019, 08:41 PM.
                      Lincoln Idealarc 250
                      Miller Bobcat 250
                      Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Kohler engines on Miller machines holds approximately 1 1/2 to 1 /2/3 quarts. it will foul out and blow smoke if over filled.

I just checked the maintenance tag for a Bobcat 225 and it clearly states: OIL CAPACITY WITH FILTER CHANGE. Approximately 1.5 quarts

Comment

Above nonsense post with hyperlink flagged for spam.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
                            Kohler engines on Miller machines holds approximately 1 1/2 to 1 /2/3 quarts. it will foul out and blow smoke if over filled.

I just checked the maintenance tag for a Bobcat 225 and it clearly states: OIL CAPACITY WITH FILTER CHANGE. Approximately 1.5 quarts
                            The service tag on my Bobcat shows 1.75qts for oil change and 2.0qts with filter change.
                            It is a 20hp Kohler. The picture is crystal clear on the phone and fuzzy when uploaded to this site. Beats me.

Griff

PS
                            I resized the picture and it is readable now.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by griff01; 02-28-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

His motor is the 23 hp kohler motor.
                              The engine cover for my 23 hp kohler says the engine holds aprox 1.5 quarts.
                              Lincoln Idealarc 250
                              Miller Bobcat 250
                              Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Working...
                              X