Syncrowave 250 Strange behavior possible problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 250 Strange behavior possible problems

I am getting a syncrowave 250 ready that I bought from a trade school. It has a couple issues that I wanted to get some opinions on. I have 208v electric,and I have it connected to a 50 amp receptacle. The machine needs 100 amp or more to operate at capacity, but I'm just getting it cleaned up and testing it. Sometimes when I turn it on it pops the breaker (50 amp),if I cycle the switch a few times fast it will pop the breaker every time. Ok so I checked the primary current,idle current, once its turned on it is 3 amps or less. That seems reasonable for a transformer. Secondly, it hums. Louder than I would like. The longer it stays on the louder it gets,to a point then it levels off to a pretty annoying hum. So I thought if the transformer has a problem it will flare up when I weld,I hooked up a stinger and burned some 7018 rods 120 amp,150 amp,200 amp, ac ,dcsp,dcrp, no problem stick welds like a champ. Thirdly the hf does not work with the panel controls,so I connected the foot pedal and it works as it should. This is not a huge deal,I dont know why you would ever use hf without some control device pedal or hand amptrol, but it seems strange none the less. If I have the amperage,and contactor,set to panel and I throw the hf switch to continuous I would expect to see hf on the spark gaps.

The high freq only works with a controller hooked up.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
      The high freq only works with a controller hooked up.

Griff
      Thank you for that. The hum is much better with the side covers on the machine,I almost walked away and left it on. So I suppose a little hum is normal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaDeese View Post

Thank you for that. The hum is much better with the side covers on the machine,I almost walked away and left it on. So I suppose a little hum is normal as well.
        There is a noticeable hum to a SyncroWave. I just never thought of it as abnormal.

Griff

Comment

Working...
        X