Trailer vs Rig Truck.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer vs Rig Truck.

Here over the next summer I’ve got a lead on welding for a drilling rig company so I’m working on getting a rig together. How many of you guys run a trailer? Im planning on chasing rigs or doing mobile repair over the summers to put back money for school, and going to school the rest of the time so I’m not full time welding. Because of that I really would like to have a trailer and have the bed space for the rest of the time for other things. I’ve considered building a skid, but I’ve just got a 3/4 ton truck so weight is a concern and that’s why I was thinking about a trailer.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. In my opinion anyways. I personally would want mine on my truck like mine is.

Comment

You should talk to the drilling rig company to see what they expect and want you to have. You can get all the answers you want here but it is really about what they want if you are going to work for them.

I use a trailer for my business and it works great for the type of work I do but there are other types of welding work that it wouldn't work at all. You need to figure out what type of work you will be chasing and look at what your competition has and why.
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

Cool thing about a trailer is you don't have to drag everything up to go eat lunch. Bad thing is you can come back and someone may have already done it for you.
        If you are gonna do this forever, get a dually now. You'll always wonder why you waited so long.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

How muddy and rough are the lease sites your trying to get to? That could be a major factor in deciding to not go with a trailer. Nice thing about having everything in an enclosed trailer, lots of room and everythings kept dry. Hook it up to the truck and go. Keeps your truck free for other uses like you say. Main reason most guys dont use them would be site access.
          www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
          Miller extreme 12vs
          Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
          Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

You could always built a skid, provided you have the means to move the skid in and out of your truck

Comment

A 3/4 ton truck is probably going to suffer in weight and fuel mileage if you have a welder of any consequence on board along with a set of bottles and all the other gear you may need...........I have a 1 ton dually with a 9 ft utility box and it feels the pain when in use..........the other problem with the open cockpit Truck bed is you just can't leave it anywhere.........although a utility box helps , but I still find myself having plenty of tools and goodies in the bed that makes it real hard to even go inside a store or restaurant just for a few moments.............

I like the Idea of a trailer...but again the openness and a secure place to hide it when not in use would be a major concern for me........even an enclosed trailer might work but may be challenging to work out of............but again security would be high on my list either way as your going to school part time , you would really have to have a secure location , preferably inside to park it as those crooks love to hook up to trailers.......

Comment

I have had insurance that covered it completely.....even with an open bed.
                That said you don't wanna use your insurance

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I put everything inside a trailer. I have only 1 truck that I use as a daily truck and did not want to give up the bed to haul the welder around. It works for my welding needs

Comment

Working...
                  X