Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerowave feature module - looking to buy/build

Greetings,

I’m looking for a full feature module 042 889 for my Miller Aerowave welder stock number 903329. Been looking, off and on, for 10 years.

I really like my Aerowave, but I would like to be able to pulse.

I’d like to buy one if anyone has one they’re interested in selling. Willing to pay a more than fair price. That said, ...

Building one seems a lot easier than finding one. Based on the owner’s manual, it seems there are some potentiometers, switches, and LEDs. If needed, I’ll use a PIC to control this, but I’ll try to keep it simple.

Would very much appreciate any details you all could provide on the boards, connectors, and pin outs for the components of this full feature module.

I’ll share what I find and document the build.

Thanks,
    Bob

Considering the age of the Aerowave product, I would think it would be worth a call to Miller and see if they will give you a tech manual. Maybe not, but you never know until you ask. If you can get one, it should show all the pinouts.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestion. I didn’t know what to expect with the tech manual. Good to know. I called them this AM, closed. I’ll try again after the new year.

I am more than happy to pay for a copy of the manual. All the better if I could give Miller the money for it and know it’s the correct version for my welder.

The technical manual is available on Amazon and eBay — looks like copies of the same single manual (stamped with industrial manuals). The Amazon reviews suggest I shouldn’t have high expectations on print quality.

Much obliged,
      Bob

Comment

If I remember correctly, the technical manuals (not the owner's manuals) include pinouts, some waveforms, etc. I seem to remember that sometimes they have test point voltages and sometimes not, and often don't have component values on the schematics, but it would seem the TM would be a great starting point if you end up having to design something yourself.

In general, Miller only gives tech manuals to their authorized techs, but I have heard of them giving out a copy or two if the machine is old enough that there is nothing that is any longer of any proprietary value. Never can tell.

Comment

I purchased a technical manual on eBay. The schematic is missing component values and IC device types. It also makes use of what looks like an EPROM for the timing generation.

The design looks straightforward, but the TM is missing a lot of detail. I’ll call Miller and see if more info is available.

Comment

Sounds familiar. Anxious to hear what else Miller may have.

Comment

Talked to Tech support at Miller. The tech I talked with was professional but wasn’t of much help.

He looked things up and found a field installation manual which he sent me. He wasn’t interested in providing low level technical info. He stated emphatically that technical details were proprietary, regardless of how old the info was. I did mention that Miller had not stocked the part in a decade.

He said if I wanted a pulser, I should buy a new machine. Probably good advice in general.

Time for some experiments using an arbitrary function generator and the 14 pin pedal interface.

Suggestions welcomed.

Bob

Comment

Sounds like you're on the right track. That is pretty much what I expected from Miller, but you have to ask. It is their proprietary information, and they have every right to protect it. If I designed something and it was still technically relevant, I would take exactly the same position. The company I used to work for delivered a 10-year license with all of our engineering-level technical documentation, at the end of which it became "yours" so long as you didn't manufacture and sell assemblies. That was multi-million dollar stuff; our customers loved the approach, and in our field, things progressed so fast that after 10 years, it just didn't matter to us anymore.

Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                X