Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help With Weld Settings - Aluminum Pulse MIG on D-74 Mpa plus w/ XMT 350 power source

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Weld Settings - Aluminum Pulse MIG on D-74 Mpa plus w/ XMT 350 power source

I have a newly set up Miller XMT 350 Mpa power source with a D-74 Mpa Plus feeder. I am using the push-pull XR AlumaPro Plus gun to weld some 1/8" thick aluminum fillet and butt joints via spray transfer. I am somewhat new to aluminum MIG and very new to all the complexities that this set up offers (start sequence parameters, run-in, crater settings, pulse characteristics). I am overwhelmed with all the features and menus to play with...

I am having lots of problems with burn-back while welding. It seems no matter how high or low I set the wire feed speed, or arc length I am having persistent issues. I am used to adjusting volts and WFS with conventional MIG processes, so I guess Im not completely understanding how to resolve this issue when trying to use Pulsed MIG. It seems with pulsed MIG you dont adjust voltage you adjust arc length (and with a longer arc length the higher the voltage right?) I've wasted so much wire, contact tips, and worst of all time re-feeding the wire into the gun every time it burn-back and birds nests. To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.

I must be doing something completely wrong here, and I cant find much information from others about trial and error with this setup. What would be some settings that I should use to start out with and tweak to my liking. Please share your thoughts if you have a similar set up, or have used one like it in the past.

I greatly appreciate your help.

With pulsed gmaw the machine is basically setting its own parameters based on your wire feed speed. You can then fine tune the arc to your liking with the trim setting. Try and keep it simple till you figure out all the other features. Keep the trim at the default setting and all other features off. Fine tune the arc to your liking with the trim then try out other features one at a time. I cant help more then that since I dont have your set up. A call to miller tech support will probably help if you cant figure out why you keep getting burn back. Dont throw out those tips, keep a pile going and sell em for scrap when you have alot lol.
    www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
    Miller extreme 12vs
    Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
    Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Thanks for your reply Willvis.

So I dont have a trim setting on this wire feeder, I have a arc length setting. From what I understand trim is changing the frequency of the arc which is basically the same as changing the arc length?

I have tried with and without the "synergic" pulse feature (Refers to the system’s ability to match the power setting to the set wire feed speed using a single knob control. In synergic Pulsed MIG, the pulse parameters are automatically increased or decreased to match the power output to the set wire feed speed.) I pretty much get instant burnback either way.

I have the run-in set to x.50
      Ive tried running the wire at 400 to 550 ipm
      Ive tried to set arc length from 30 - 55

I am going to try and call miller on Monday to see if they have a solution to the burnback issue.

The scrap pile is getting bigger, haha.

Comment

I think trim and arc length are probably the same thing? Lincoln uses the term trim and miller arc length I guess. I think calling miller is your best bet maybe theres something wrong with the machine
        www.silvercreekwelding.com

Miller Trailblazer 325 efi
        Miller extreme 12vs
        Thermal arc 186 ac/dc
        Lincoln power wave 455m/stt with 10m dual feeder

Comment

Working...
        X