Clear All

I use Shell Rotella
    It has the zinc and everyone sells it

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Me, too. Per Cruizer's recommendation some time ago, I've been using Rotella T6 full synthentic in my Trailblazer.

Comment

I've had a Bobcat 225 for decades......still does it's job when called upon for both stick and Mig......and generator.......I use Castrol 30 weight.
        Get yourself a manual and read it.....also pay attention to all the posts here on trouble-shooting those machines.........at 300 hours your in pretty good shape , but change the fluids , fuel filter and air cleaner..........throttle linkage, fuses, Hertz for engine speed are all things that need attention.....good Idea to put a trickle charger on it if its cold overnight...........after the hours add up de-carboning the combustion chambers and a valve job is in order......I like mine!

Comment

I remember you guys talking about the rotella, got me using it in my RV.

As I recall hearing, you shouldn't jump start those machines either.

Comment

I think Duane said the Trailblazers are much more prone to jump start disasters than the Bobcats, but it still scares me. I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
              I've had a Bobcat 225 for decades......still does it's job when called upon for both stick and Mig......and generator.......I use Castrol 30 weight.
              Get yourself a manual and read it.....also pay attention to all the posts here on trouble-shooting those machines.........at 300 hours your in pretty good shape , but change the fluids , fuel filter and air cleaner..........throttle linkage, fuses, Hertz for engine speed are all things that need attention.....good Idea to put a trickle charger on it if its cold overnight...........after the hours add up de-carboning the combustion chambers and a valve job is in order......I like mine!
              I think the issue is that the Castrol 30 wt. of long ago is not the same as it is today--the zinc has been removed, I think around when they changed to Service Rating SM, but don't quote me on that.

Comment

Shell rotella it is then, same thing the Cummins uses

Comment

Cruizer also recommended Quaker State Defy, and any good 4-stroke motorcycle oil. I don't use the Trailblazer a lot, but the T6 Rotella has been working great in it.

Comment

It's been a while since I did this research , But just about all motor oil has zinc or a ZDDP additive. It's just the lack of the PPM's that modern oil is lacking........due to Catalytic converter damage.......basic motor oil if I remember is below 800 ppms and the higher grade oils are near 12-1400 ppms while some racing grades advertise as much as 16-1800.ppms........keep in mind by just adding a few ounces per oil change of a stand alone ZDDP additive it will take any motor oil up above 2000 ppms..........

Lot's of confusion out there on the zinc subject , and plenty of reading if you have the time.......Years ago I was running analytical on all of my truck engines and gear boxes.......Pennzoil was are primary supplier and also a Sponsor and when they were taken over by Shell there was some concern over switching products as the diesels can be very temperamental about changes.........a trip to the Shell refinery Locally and a sit down with there chemists pretty much cleared that all up.........

No question for breaking in a conventional gas motor and especially one with a solid lifter cam it's great to have more than less...........

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                      I think Duane said the Trailblazers are much more prone to jump start disasters than the Bobcats, but it still scares me. I wouldn't.
                      I can't say I've ever heard of or seen a Bobcat suffer a failure from jump starting but Miller recommends charging a dead battery only before attempting to start and not "jump" starting. Definitely true when dealing with a Trailblazer as there is way too much evidence that jump starting has led to numerous control and/or power board failures. These components are absent in a Bobcat.
                      MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                      Syncrowave 180 SD
                      Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                      *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                      *HF-251D-1
                      *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                      PakMaster 100XL
                      Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

My regulator did fail once in my Bobcat. And at the time I was jumping it fairly often. Batteries are better if they work
                        Could have been a coincidence though, it did have 3000 hrs.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                        X